NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

On 9/30/2021 at 11:18 AM, spartacat_12 said:

I guess it isn't as important for football to have stadiums in the city compared to other sports, but it's pretty crazy that if this happens Chicago would be the only North American city with 3 or more Big 4 teams that doesn't have a single one playing in the downtown core.

Ironically, the Bears are the one original NFC Central/North team that hasn't spent a significant part of its existence in the suburbs.

If the Vikings were a person, they'd have been old enough to drink by the time they played a single down in Minneapolis.  The Lions played a good quarter century in Pontiac before moving back to Downtown Detroit. And if you consider the Packers a Milwaukee team... which the NFL officially does... then they play way the hell in the boondocks. But even then, Lambeau is only within Green Bay's borders by happenstance. If you cross the street on three of the sides, you're in Ashwaubenon.

Now its come full circle. The Lions and Vikings are firmly in their respective city centers. The Titletown District has, for all intents and purposes become Green Bay's new downtown (something I found incredibly toxic to the quality of life when I lived there, if I'm being totally honest). Yet now it's the Bears who come from the most urban of America's non-coastal urban centers who are looking to move to the burbs.

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The merger realignment lore has been discussed to death but I'm pretty sure it came down to the east-coast power brokers making sure they had a designated buttmonkey.

I guess they didn't count on the Don Coryell years. Ironically, those Cardinals teams would have been the only ones with a chance to put a dent in the Vikings stranglehold on the Central in the 1970s.

19 hours ago, NicDB said:

That explains that weird strand of Sox-Pack fans that I never knew existed until I moved to the city. Speaking of which, it completely confounds me that the NFL put the Gridbirds in the NFC East after the merger, and right after they became another St. Louis Cardinals. 

You'd think I'd have more contempt for Bears fans now that I live in Chicago, but I actually feel bad for them. They deserve so much better than the shortsighted moves the McCaskeys have been making since the day before forever.

Wait until you realize the Dallas cowboys are still in the NFC East

I'm excited for Chicago getting exactly one Super Bowl in the future, marked by the entire sports media throwing a nuclear-scale temper tantrum because they have to come here in February instead of Miami or New Orleans. It will be followed by precisely one Final Four that everyone also finds fault with but a WrestleMania that every agrees was mostly fine. Then it will be the home of Foo Fighters concerts, monster truck rallies, and  an upsilon variant testing site. The Bears will use their financial windfall to finish 9-8 instead of 8-9.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

20 hours ago, NicDB said:

Ironically, the Bears are the one original NFC Central/North team that hasn't spent a significant part of its existence in the suburbs.

If the Vikings were a person, they'd have been old enough to drink by the time they played a single down in Minneapolis.  The Lions played a good quarter century in Pontiac before moving back to Downtown Detroit. And if you consider the Packers a Milwaukee team... which the NFL officially does... then they play way the hell in the boondocks. But even then, Lambeau is only within Green Bay's borders by happenstance. If you cross the street on three of the sides, you're in Ashwaubenon.

Now its come full circle. The Lions and Vikings are firmly in their respective city centers. The Titletown District has, for all intents and purposes become Green Bay's new downtown (something I found incredibly toxic to the quality of life when I lived there, if I'm being totally honest). Yet now it's the Bears who come from the most urban of America's non-coastal urban centers who are looking to move to the burbs.

Uhh - really? You wanna give a source for that one? Don't confuse the team's flagship radio station with its home city.

It's where I sit.

I think he means that Milwaukee television has the same must-carry rules for Packers games as Green Bay does. Milwaukee is a co-primary market rather than a secondary one, but it's all academic because the Packers never had blackouts and the affiliates would never think to air anyone else.

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I'm excited for Chicago getting exactly one Super Bowl in the future, marked by the entire sports media throwing a nuclear-scale temper tantrum because they have to come here in February instead of Miami or New Orleans. It will be followed by precisely one Final Four that everyone also finds fault with but a WrestleMania that every agrees was mostly fine. Then it will be the home of Foo Fighters concerts, monster truck rallies, and  an upsilon variant testing site. The Bears will use their financial windfall to finish 9-8 instead of 8-9.

Why would they want a super bowl in Chicago? It’s not New York, and unless they make it a dime a super bowl would never even be considered. And the bears view them selves as still being the monsters in the midway and would feel playing in a dome doesn’t fit their style. Heck I doubt they will ever install artificial grass.

3 minutes ago, dont care said:

Why would they want a super bowl in Chicago? It’s not New York, and unless they make it a dime a super bowl would never even be considered. And the bears view them selves as still being the monsters in the midway and would feel playing in a dome doesn’t fit their style. Heck I doubt they will ever install artificial grass.

The Bears are proposing a domed stadium with artificial grass, try to keep up

7 hours ago, dont care said:

Agreed you might as well say Madison is their home city being almost equidistant to both.

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Uhh - really? You wanna give a source for that one? Don't confuse the team's flagship radio station with its home city.

Madison isn't subject to the blackout laws that Milwaukee is. That was a local concern in 2012 when the Packers-Giants playoff game almost didn't sell out due to the weather.

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/packers-have-to-sell-7-500-tickets-by-thursday-afternoon-to-avoid-tv-blackout-010114

The storied franchise is now facing a situation that it never expected to be in: the possibility of a television blackout in the Green Bay and Milwaukee viewing areas.

10 hours ago, the admiral said:

The Bears are proposing a domed stadium with artificial grass, try to keep up

A division where 3 of the 4 teams play in a dome stadium has never happened before, right?

I saw, I came, I left.

5 hours ago, NicDB said:

Madison isn't subject to the blackout laws that Milwaukee is. That was a local concern in 2012 when the Packers-Giants playoff game almost didn't sell out due to the weather.

https://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/story/packers-have-to-sell-7-500-tickets-by-thursday-afternoon-to-avoid-tv-blackout-010114

So where in any of that does it say this from what I originally quoted "And if you consider the Packers a Milwaukee team... which the NFL officially does"

It's where I sit.

Zach Ertz just caught a catch for a first down, and as he was pushed out of bounds, he flexed at his defender, threw the ball on the ground, and yelled out loud.

Why isn't that a taunting penalty?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why isn't that a taunting penalty?

You know exactly why.  Guys like him exude passion.  Guys not like him taunt.

Also... in the same game, horrible 'roughing the passer' penalty.  A guy is driven down into the QB through no fault of his own and is flagged, and it's not even like his body was on the QB.  There's nothing you can do to avoid a flag if the ref feels like throwing it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Taunting penalties are a great way for a crooked ref to put his thumb on the scale. Much like holding, you can call it on any play, it's just a matter of whether you want to. 

21 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

So where in any of that does it say this from what I originally quoted "And if you consider the Packers a Milwaukee team... which the NFL officially does"

Not sure if you're being purposefully daft at this point or what, but the Packers are the only team with two media markets subject to blackout rules.  That's not exactly a coincidence.

17 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Not sure if you're being purposefully daft at this point or what, but the Packers are the only team with two media markets subject to blackout rules.  That's not exactly a coincidence.

I guess this is just semantics - but the NFL doesn't consider the Packers a Milwaukee team. They are based in Green Bay, but Milwaukee gets the benefit of having the games broadcast. 

Those are two entirely different things. 

It's where I sit.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:16 PM, dont care said:

Well if they end up with a dome they'll absolutely get a Super Bowl. The game will permanently rotate between Miami, Tampa, New Orleans, Atlanta, LA, Arizona, and Vegas, but they'll throw a bone to other cities if new stadiums are built (like how Minneapolis got one).

Archived