NFL Merry-Go-Round: Relocation Roundelay

duma

• Replies 9.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're going to have 17 games per season, make everyone's 17th one a neutral-site game in Las Vegas. That way, there's something for everybody all year. I proposed a similar idea for the NHL and Phoenix: every transplant fanbase gets one game per season and they don't have to turn the arena into a parking lot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 2/18/2022 at 8:06 PM, Walk-Off said:

For sure, I hope that the Raiders stay content to play at Allegiant Stadium and in the Las Vegas market for decades to come,

Dude. You need to listen. 

The State of Nevada ponied up more than $700 million to build that stadium. That's the NFL dream, to milk as much money out of locales as possible. If the Raiders just leave LV it sends the message to other states and cities not to trust the NFL with massive financial payouts.

So you don't need to "hope." You can write it down. The Raiders are in LV for the foreseeable future, no ifs, ands, or buts. The NFL won't let anyone poison the well by walking away from the deal the Raiders got in Nevada. 

Further the NFL isn't going to return to San Diego without a new stadium. That was the stumbling block that led to the Chargers leaving. 

Yes, Spanos negotiated in EXTREMELY bad faith with the city, but the fact is that there still isn't a new NFL-caliber stadium. 

So the Chargers aren't leaving LA for SD either. 

4 hours ago, the admiral said:

If you're going to have 17 games per season, make everyone's 17th one a neutral-site game in Las Vegas. That way, there's something for everybody all year. I proposed a similar idea for the NHL and Phoenix: every transplant fanbase gets one game per season and they don't have to turn the arena into a parking lot.

I used to say that they should build a mega stadium there and have the Super Bowl there every year.  Neutral site games would have made sense too if enacted before the Raiders moved. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Has anyone heard about the Titans possibly trying to get a new stadium in Nashville?

I'm kinda shocked because Nissan Stadium still feels kinda new even though it opened in 1999 and it's now 2022.

Normally I would say that the stadium just needs upgrades at this age,  but this situation is different. The stadium was built differently. the stadium frame is mostly concrete and needs to be replaced with steel, plus other things like plumbing and electrical upgrades. This is a bit more than what was originally expected for upgrading the stadium.

The second is if the Titans can get a new stadium built, one with a roof, it opens Nashville up as a possible host for big events like the Super Bowl, College Football Championship, and Final Four. Nashville has become the new Atlanta basically and is perfectly capable of hosting these events in what has now become a destination city.

After the Titans leave I cant imagine the stadium being used for anything else. Nashville SC is finishing up their own new stadium and I cant see Vanderbilt leaving their home, so the only thing useful for the stadium is redevelopment or having the new Titans Stadium built on its site.

Signature intentionally left blank

27 minutes ago, Dilbert said:

After the Titans leave I cant imagine the stadium being used for anything else. Nashville SC is finishing up their own new stadium and I cant see Vanderbilt leaving their home, so the only thing useful for the stadium is redevelopment or having the new Titans Stadium built on its site.

The latter of those two seems more likely to me, since Nissan is in prime locale right by downtown Nashville; but then we come to the question of "where would the Titans play while the stadium is being demolished and rebuilt?".

Could they make another attempt to play in Vanderbilt Stadium while a new building is being constructed? I can't see them wanting to do Memphis again, that didn't work for anybody.

50 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

The latter of those two seems more likely to me, since Nissan is in prime locale right by downtown Nashville; but then we come to the question of "where would the Titans play while the stadium is being demolished and rebuilt?".

Could they make another attempt to play in Vanderbilt Stadium while a new building is being constructed? I can't see them wanting to do Memphis again, that didn't work for anybody.

The stadium has a sea of parking lots around it. It would be like MetLife or Gillette ect. They would simply play at Nissan stadium until the new ones built. Tear it down and have that be new parking lot.

10 hours ago, dont care said:

The stadium has a sea of parking lots around it. It would be like MetLife or Gillette ect. They would simply play at Nissan stadium until the new ones built. Tear it down and have that be new parking lot.

I could see that or going back to Vanderbilt.  The situation is similar to the Vikings playing at the University of Minnesota's stadium while US Bank Stadium was being built.

I don't think Memphis would even be considered.  A lot can change over 25 years, but that ground was pretty well salted.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

11 hours ago, dont care said:

The question with that is how close to the riverfront do they want their [new] stadium? The lot directly behind the current stadium (i should say to the northeast, closer to 24) is big enough if they wanted to build a new one there and transform the current site into new parking--but I can't see that happening. Then again, if they do the closed-roof thing it may not matter much. Whatever they do, let's see if they're smart enough to orient an open end of the stadium towards the west bank and downtown...

...I do know one thing though: whenever they do get going on demolition and rebuilding down there, it's going to be even MORE of a cluster downtown than it already is. (And anyone who's navigated the downtown Nashville area knows exactly what I'm talking about.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 hours ago, leopard88 said:

I could see that or going back to Vanderbilt.  The situation is similar to the Vikings playing at the University of Minnesota's stadium while US Bank Stadium was being built.

I don't think Memphis would even be considered.  A lot can change over 25 years, but that ground was pretty well salted.

It’s a shame too. With Tennessee priding itself on being 3 Distinct regions it would’ve been cool to see a season primarily based in Nashville but also schedule a game at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis and Neyland Stadium in Knoxville

The NFL is never gonna go back to Memphis. The Liberty Bowl is a dump. The stadium lacks the number luxury boxes as well as club seating as well as other money making revenues for ownership. Other than some fresh paint, turf and scoreboards, the stadium hasnt had any major renovations done to it. Its also in a bad part of town. On top of the stadium, the city and football fans didnt want a team to be temporary before, they definitely wont want it again.

Signature intentionally left blank

6 hours ago, tBBP said:

The question with that is how close to the riverfront do they want their [new] stadium? The lot directly behind the current stadium (i should say to the northeast, closer to 24) is big enough if they wanted to build a new one there and transform the current site into new parking--but I can't see that happening. Then again, if they do the closed-roof thing it may not matter much. Whatever they do, let's see if they're smart enough to orient an open end of the stadium towards the west bank and downtown...

...I do know one thing though: whenever they do get going on demolition and rebuilding down there, it's going to be even MORE of a cluster downtown than it already is. (And anyone who's navigated the downtown Nashville area knows exactly what I'm talking about.)

18 hours ago, dont care said:

Wasn't the only reason they moved to Memphis based on alcohol sales?  Does Vanderbilt still ban that? I think some colleges are starting to allow  it in stadium since they know people are doing that in the parking lots if they can't do it in the stadium., thus they can get more cash by doing it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

39 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Wasn't the only reason they moved to Memphis based on alcohol sales?  Does Vanderbilt still ban that? I think some colleges are starting to allow  it in stadium since they know people are doing that in the parking lots if they can't do it in the stadium., thus they can get more cash by doing it. 

Yes. That's the reason they reverted to Memphis--originally that was never in the plan. The goal was to always move to Nashville, but as you said Vandy banned alcohol at the time which is how Memphis became their fallback option.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I see after 3 re-locations and two dazzling new stadiums some of us are thirsty for a move. There is no reason to even waste breath on the thought of the Raiders leaving a brand new palace that they are selling out anytime in the near future. The whole reason the Raiders were viewed as a team that always bounced around is because they never had what they have now, an adequate stadium. Also, everyone talks this big game about LA Raiders fans. Anyone will come out in droves when there is only one local game to go to a year. Attendance was part of the reason they moved out in the first place. Anyone who clowned the Rams parade should search the Raiders LA parade that showed there were only 11,000 people in attendance. In reality LA is just not a football city and if they are it is a one team city. Eventually the Chargers will probably move because I do not see them garnering a fan base unless they have a dynasty with Herbert. However, i think this would take about 20 years.  Regardless in terms of relocation I think the only speculative teams are the Bill and Jags. I anticipate the Bills to hit some roadblocks with this stadium as nobody in the New York State government is going to pony up any public money for a stadium. In recent years I had heard the Bengals having some issues with Paul Brown Stadium but I do not put much stock into it.  Lastly, I find it interesting just how expensive stadiums have gotten. I understand cost of labor and inflation but how could an outdoor stadium in Buffalo cost 1.5 billion?

18 minutes ago, Wings2 said:

Commanders looking at 3 potential spots in Virginia for new stadium: 

Dulles Airport, Woodbridge or near Quantico (🤣). 

Near Dulles would be the most likeliest of the Virginia stadium options. Woodbridge or the Quantico area (Dumfries) are bad options since they're off 95 and will add to further congestion in those areas on game day.

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

Oxon Hill area would have been my first guess for a stadium , but I take it NFL doesn't want 2 teams in Maryland.

Which is why they'd rather Virginia. 

Except that FedExField is currently in Landover, Maryland.

Both Dulles and Woodbridge are hell of a distance, but I don't know how realistic it would be to have them close enough to D.C.. Anything from there to Fairfax is largely congested and I'd think they'd want to make it close enough to an airport for visiting teams to not get stuck in the congestion.

Archived