Sixers announce new uniform for 2015-16

BBTV

I'd really like to see PHILA come back. Whenever I have to hand write my address on anything, I usually just write "Phila PA" (and I know a lot of older people do that too), so it's not like it's an abbreviation in the same category as ATL. It's more like just a name.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I became an NBA fan during the Allan Houston Knick years, so this my go-to 76ers reference point:

Allen%25252BIverson%25252B76ers.jpg

I think of the Dr. J Sixers like I do the Korean War -- it definitely happened, but it has no currency in my life.

I have a little memory of rookie AI in r/w/b (and I loved those unis) but my best Sixers memories are these. But with that being said even though I didn't mind these (love the blue alt from this era especially) I always preferred the ball logo and r/w/b. These should be left in the past and forever known as the AI era. The 76ers are a r/w/b team and the ball logo is iconic and timeless.

For a team that's had the success and history the Sixers have had, it's kind of weird they don't have a go-to signature look to speak of. Their current logo is pretty distinctive, but now that they've gone back to it only to ditch it again, it's lost its luster. There's the 70s stuff, the early 90s garbage, and the of-the-moment late 90s-2000s look and some other stuff in between.

80shome.jpg

Dr J just looks so damn cool in this picture.

I wish the NBA would allow them to actually use their real team name on their jerseys instead of just Sixers.

I think they're hesitant because of having 76 and the individual number on the front. But I can't even imagine what that might look like.

As for everyone talking about alternates, I'd be suprised if they introduced the alternates right away. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to introduce new home/away jerseys for fans to buy up, then add a third a few years down the road to reignite sales.

Although Charlotte just proved this theory wrong...

As for everyone talking about alternates, I'd be suprised if they introduced the alternates right away. From a business perspective, it makes more sense to introduce new home/away jerseys for fans to buy up, then add a third a few years down the road to reignite sales.

Although Charlotte just proved this theory wrong...

Did they? I know people like this awful new Hornets set, but I believe purple is the primary, correct? They probably would have been better served to just release white and purple jerseys, letting people buy them all up because you've gotta buy something. Then in a year or two, come out with the teal and sell more jerseys. I imagine there are plenty of people now who aren't going to buy the purple jersey, but they would have if there was no teal version. And then they'd have bought the teal the next year.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I googled "76ers Concept" and this came up.

b25gnsmiqaamohi.png

And this mascot idea, between the traditional Ben Franklin, McGruff the Crime Dog and the ever-popular Philadelphia Moose, because nothing says brotherly love like a 1,200 pound cervine.

mascots.png

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Well they went with Franklin...

Franklin the Dog, not Ben Franklin. The mascot "for kids, designed by kids". Yuck.

Still better than a moose though!

SixersFranklin-750x400.jpg

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I love these rare uniforms

LJacksonphl2.jpg

I think you just love posting rare uniforms.

Those are atrocious. Stacked wording almost never looks good, and it would be jarring to see "Seventy" spelled out, after decades of just seeing "Sixers". I don't mind the cursive "Sixers" script, though it would need to go through a significant clean up before it's ready for modern use.

So wait, it says Seventy above Sixers? Does anyone have a clear pic of this? That's something I'd want to see.

Also, does anyone have any clear pic of the 65-66 throwbacks they wore in the 03-04 season? All I can find is this woefully small pic of Kyle Korver:

hardwood_classics_040330.jpg

I just want a better sense of how they look on a more recent template

EDIT:

I wish the NBA would allow them to actually use their real team name on their jerseys instead of just Sixers.

28_6213A_lg.jpeg

Hadn't read through the rest of the thread. Thanks for this, man

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

I became an NBA fan during the Allan Houston Knick years, so this my go-to 76ers reference point:

Allen%25252BIverson%25252B76ers.jpg

I think of the Dr. J Sixers like I do the Korean War -- it definitely happened, but it has no currency in my life.

I have a little memory of rookie AI in r/w/b (and I loved those unis) but my best Sixers memories are these. But with that being said even though I didn't mind these (love the blue alt from this era especially) I always preferred the ball logo and r/w/b. These should be left in the past and forever known as the AI era. The 76ers are a r/w/b team and the ball logo is iconic and timeless.

It's so tough to agree with you on this, but I think I ultimately do. Leaving behind the legacy associated with one of the most culturally-important athletes of all time in favor of embracing the patriotic theme associated with the team name. I can't imagine a whole lot of happy memories will be associated with these new unis, as Hinkie seems to be ok with indefinitely continuing the tanking experiment (Nerlens Noel for Nik Stauskas and a 1st round pick? I'm a Michigan alum and I think that's crazy) without giving any glimpse of when he's going to cash in those assets for a Harden-esque trade and Howard-esque FA signing.

Meh. How many different ways can you really do R/W/B?

The 76ers are a great example of how to do it in many many ways.

The 78 uniforms I hope is what it most resembles

81985570_8.jpg

This seems like the combo of the 3 unis originally posted that I pictured, give or take a PHILA.

EDIT: Ha. Yeah, what leopard88 said. That was me.

Yeah, Dr. J really makes r/w/b uniforms with side stripes look good, huh?

Elite-Daily-70s-Nets.jpg

^ why I don't think the 76ers should go in that direction, especially since the Nets are bringing back those side stripes for their alt.

"The pictures looked good on the computer," Will Brown explained

XCUfRbB.jpg

Huh...so we're among the few states who think the Sixers could beat UK. Weird.

Anyway, seems like they just ditched the AI-era colors yesterday...so this is supposed to be a visual "okay, we're actually gonna try to win next year" marker or something? Alright then. I remember seeing a 70s Sixers warmup shirt with the Liberty Bell on the back, maybe they should look into that somehow.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I don't even know what this argument is, but if it's that Allen Iverson wasn't one of the top five most important NBA players in the immediate post-MJ era, then that would be wrong. AI was super important in the late 90s/early 2000s for a lot of reasons, and those reasons weren't limited to his on-court play.

EDIT: Also, the Sixers would crush the Kentucky Wildcats.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived