Wisconsin Badgers Switching To Under Armour

TVIXX

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The football uniform probably won't change (except for the one-offs). When they change manufacturers, basketball has usually seen the most change. They've never gone crazy, but they don't have the tradition there that they have in football (and hockey).

I'd guess those basketball uniforms in the photo are placeholders and they'll be adding some black trim, etc.

I know that hockey's been reebok during the adidas years but I suspect that will change now (since reebok and adidas are the same ownership).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I don't think he's entirely correct about what shade Cardinal is; his graphic looks too claret. The Badgers should use a darker red than Nebraska, but it should still be red. (And red jerseys over red pants? Ew.)

Myself, I would darken the jerseys to match the color they use on the helmet logo.

Actually, I think they have already lightened the helmet logo/stripes to match the jersey. Not saying they should not darken both...but it looks like they've gone in the other direction.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

POTD (Shared)

I would take the following compromise: Wisconsin darkens its red. Nebraska goes to a single stripe on its pants (then both teams pants would match the helmet). But neither team needs non-school colors.

This is what I've long felt. Wisconsin needs to go back to the school's actual shade of red. Nebraska could go down to one stripe on the pants. Also, Nebraska should only wear red pants on the road and Wisconsin should never wear them. That would settle things without having to do something drastic.

And as I've said before, I wouldn't completely hate them putting a thin black drop shadow on the numbers to mimic the logo, but it's not necessary.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Actually, I think they have already lightened the helmet logo/stripes to match the jersey. Not saying they should not darken both...but it looks like they've gone in the other direction.

Yes. They finally lightened the helmet accents to match the rest of the uniform in 2013 or 14.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I would take the following compromise: Wisconsin darkens its red. Nebraska goes to a single stripe on its pants (then both teams pants would match the helmet). But neither team needs non-school colors.

This is what I've long felt. Wisconsin needs to go back to the school's actual shade of red. Nebraska could go down to one stripe on the pants. Also, Nebraska should only wear red pants on the road and Wisconsin should never wear them. That would settle things without having to do something drastic.

And as I've said before, I wouldn't completely hate them putting a thin black drop shadow on the numbers to mimic the logo, but it's not necessary.

While I've never felt that Wisconsin needs to make concessions to Nebraska (and, therefore, vice-versa), I agree with the idea of darkening the red to the original school color. Why? Because it's the original school color. Whether to change to one stripe on the pants for Nebraska is up to them, but I would like it as it would match the helmet better.

However, I wish Wisconsin would wear red pants on the road all the time. I think both teams can do that and be OK (particularly if Wisconsin goes darker). I'd support a superfluous "white-on-red-on-white" number before black dropshadow. But I am content for them to stand pat.

POTD (Shared)

Yes. They finally lightened the helmet accents to match the rest of the uniform in 2013 or 14.

Ah, thanks. Shows how closely I've been paying attention.

Good they conformed them, but I would rather have gone in the other direction.

While I've never felt that Wisconsin needs to make concessions to Nebraska (and, therefore, vice-versa), I agree with the idea of darkening the red to the original school color. Why? Because it's the original school color. Whether to change to one stripe on the pants for Nebraska is up to them, but I would like it as it would match the helmet better.

However, I wish Wisconsin would wear red pants on the road all the time. I think both teams can do that and be OK (particularly if Wisconsin goes darker). I'd support a superfluous "white-on-red-on-white" number before black dropshadow. But I am content for them to stand pat.

Yeah. Wisconsin should go back to their original red, but other than that they shouldn't have to change. Nebraska is the new kid in town. They should be the ones to change. In fact, it should have been a stipulation for them to enter the conference. It would have been if I was the commish. :)

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The bigger issue in my book has always been that Wisconsin's helmet logos and facemask were SO vastly different shades of red that I found it inexcusable.. Two "plastic-y"/"rubber-y" substances that everyone else is able to match up should be a no brainer.. I can forgive an inability to perfectly match impregnated plastic colors to dyed synthetic fabrics, especially when finishes are different and jersey colors adjust with sweat, etc.. I never minded the rams navy helmet / royal jersey, because I don't always expect a perfect match across drastically different media.. But the bright scarlet facemask and deep cardinal decals is atrocious.. Glad they've looked into adjusting that.. But here's my quick fix for Wis/Neb (apart from correcting the reds/white).. Wis - 2 stripe pattern, sleeve numbers with stripes just above cuff, drop shadow optional.. Neb - 1 stripe pattern, yoke numbers with sleeve stripe centered between cuff and yoke, contrast colored collar optional..

By far my favorite solution. The only problem that you forgot to address is that it makes too much sense.

Midway.png

The football uniform probably won't change (except for the one-offs). When they change manufacturers, basketball has usually seen the most change. They've never gone crazy, but they don't have the tradition there that they have in football (and hockey).

I'd guess those basketball uniforms in the photo are placeholders and they'll be adding some black trim, etc.

I know that hockey's been reebok during the adidas years but I suspect that will change now (since reebok and adidas are the same ownership).

Under Armour makes Notre Dame and BC's hockey unis as well do I'm sure that will continue with Wisconsin. They've got a traditional design so I'm sure UA will have no problem fitting it on to their template.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Here are some mock ups from the presser.

CQ5TjFHVEAAgAKA.jpg

CQ5WrMGWoAIFrb0.jpg

CQ5QmTvWwAAhtPe.jpg

Looks great to me! Maybe the numbers are a bit elongated/thin, but that's about it.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Here are some mock ups from the presser.

CQ5TjFHVEAAgAKA.jpg

CQ5QmTvWwAAhtPe.jpg

Looks great to me! Maybe the numbers are a bit elongated/thin, but that's about it.

The best thing about the Under Armour presser was the mock-up of the basketball jersey. I like that they went with the unarched wordmark and without the black drop shadow. You're right, though, the Badgers' numbers typically aren't that narrow.

badger.png

They'll probably fix it when it's time to make the real thing,

8557127226_fbd001ef58_n.jpg

So, much has been made of the Hayden Fry coaching tree, but his influence likely spread to uniforms as well.

Legend has it that Fry adopted the Tigerhawk with Steelers uniforms for Iowa to make them feel like winners by looking like (NFL) winners. Bill Snyder did the same at Kansas State with the Powercat and the Cowboys' unis (in school colors), and Barry Alvarez adopted the Motion W and... Nebraska's uniforms?

True or no?

I would have liked to see UA do something different for the Badgers without going too crazy. There must be something local to draw from.

There are many different opinions on what UW should look like to both keep their tradition, but maintain an original look. Some suggested adding colors, changing reds, etc.

Why not try a concept with two reds, both dark and bright, but maintaining a traditional jersey design that fits the Badger template. It'd update the Badgers look while maintaining traditional designs, and would give them an original color palette.

SIG1.png

SIG2.pngSIG3.png

So, much has been made of the Hayden Fry coaching tree, but his influence likely spread to uniforms as well.

Legend has it that Fry adopted the Tigerhawk with Steelers uniforms for Iowa to make them feel like winners by looking like (NFL) winners. Bill Snyder did the same at Kansas State with the Powercat and the Cowboys' unis (in school colors), and Barry Alvarez adopted the Motion W and... Nebraska's uniforms?

True or no?

I would have liked to see UA do something different for the Badgers without going too crazy. There must be something local to draw from.

Wisconsin fans will tell you no. Nebraska fans will tell you yes.

What I DO know is this: Barry Alvarez played at NU for Bob Devaney, who was the architect of the NU Dynasty, winning titles in 70-71 and then obviously continuing through his offensive coordinator (and even more successful coach) Tom Osborne. When Alvarez took over the reigns at Wisconsin, he based a lot of his game - playbook, leadership style, emphasis of walk-on program, practice management, etc., on what he saw Devaney model. That's not a bad thing - any player would likely do the same - but it did mean that Wisconsin largely used a lot of what made Nebraska great in the late 60s, 70s and 80s.

Nebraska fans like to claim Wisconsin stole our uniforms, which is untrue, at least if you're following the Alvarez link. Barry took over the Badgers in 1990 and UW had been wearing the two-stripe look for quite a while by that point. They did, however, adopt the "Motion W" logo in 1991 so there was an opportunity for Barry to modify the uniforms but he kept them largely the same. One thing that he DID do, however, is use red pants on the road more often - especially for big games. Wisconsin historically had been an all-white road team (like many schools) but Alvarez would often wear red pants in bowls or rival games. You could possibly argue that he "brought that" from Nebraska, but it's splitting hairs, really.

If you think about it, there are plenty of teams that have evolved basically the same look as the Huskers and Badgers (Stanford, Alabama, Oklahoma, Indiana) and none of them really take the heat that UW does for "copying" someone else.

On a personal note, I'm not a big fan of monochromatic uniforms but I think it might be fun to have the NU-UW games as "all-reds" versus "all-whites." I'm sure it might help the teams on-field, too, since the games basically look like a scrimmage and the two teams are now in the same division of the Big Ten. A slight variation would be to allow the previous year's winner (whomever holds the Freedom Trophy) the rights to wear the all-red look to the current year's game, as sort of a "Big Red" bragging right.

Also, I wish Wisconsin would wear these more. Or maybe a modernized version. Such a great helmet and there are few teams who use the front space of a lid like that.

wiscon2005u.jpg

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived