Jump to content

2015/16 International Football


Crabcake

Recommended Posts

Just now, Rockstar Matt said:

Nope. Brazil got screwed. It was a handball. This is crazy.

 

Yeah -- the one slow-mo they had from the over-the-goal view looked more definitive (though I don't know why they only showed it once.)

 

If Peru wins they knock Brazil out? Is that possible?!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish Peru didn't win like they did, but... I'm glad they won. Brazil absolutely didn't deserve to advance to the quarters and this is a tremendous upset. They were playing not to lose and the sports gods, as they do for every team in any sport that plays not to lose, acted accordingly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

USA gets Ecuador in the Quarterfinals, and the USMNT is well within reach of their pre-tournament goal of the Semifinals. Pretty awesome. Winner of that game likely gets Argentina/Mexico/Venezuela. Obviously tougher, but interesting.

 

Big results for USMNT.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wonder if that call will speed up video replay for the next World Cup. I'd be all for this, with the stipulation that it only applies to scoring opportunities. IT's a crappy way to go out of a tournament but if the referee and the assistant referee can't see this the 4th official or a replay booth official should have access to this. There's a natural stop in the game while they discuss the goal it's too easy for that booth official, segregated away from the players to look at TV replays and call down to the 4th official to overturn the call. It works in rugby, it can work in soccer. 

 

That being said, Brazil did this to themselves. They have shown a lack of creativity when they don't have Neymar on the field. They are so worried about winning the Olympics that they sacrificed some of their younger, better players to win that tournament. Dunga will have to win every match at the Olympics, if he's even allowed to survive that long. Looking at the match ups, I'd rather play Peru than Ecuador, but it is what it is and let's go and try to win this thing. I'll be interested to see how Mexico and Argentina finish out their groups knowing the Brazilians aren't around in the knockout stages. I'd expect them both to crush their opponents and ensure they don't face each other until they absolutely have to. Will they rest the big players hoping to just get the minimum result or will we see about 60 minutes from Messi then pull him off the field?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder if that call will speed up video replay for the next World Cup. I'd be all for this, with the stipulation that it only applies to scoring opportunities. IT's a crappy way to go out of a tournament but if the referee and the assistant referee can't see this the 4th official or a replay booth official should have access to this. There's a natural stop in the game while they discuss the goal it's too easy for that booth official, segregated away from the players to look at TV replays and call down to the 4th official to overturn the call. It works in rugby, it can work in soccer. 

Yeah, the sport is introducing video replay on a trial basis in a handful of leagues around the world, including MLS and the Bundesliga, with a “video replay official” having that ability. It’d apply to four situations — goal decisions, sendings off, penalties and cases of mistaken identity — and will be tested “offline” later this year.

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-technology-idUSKCN0YO1WQ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good point, especially the mistaken identification. I still remember Wes Brown getting sent off for a foul by John O'Shea a few years back against United. Not sure how they could have been confused for each other but it happened. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

Yeah, the sport is introducing video replay on a trial basis in a handful of leagues around the world, including MLS and the Bundesliga, with a “video replay official” having that ability. It’d apply to four situations — goal decisions, sendings off, penalties and cases of mistaken identity — and will be tested “offline” later this year.

 

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-technology-idUSKCN0YO1WQ

That's good news.  What's even better news is that FIFA (for now) hasn't managed to screw this up like other leagues (here's looking at you, NFL and NHL) by making almost anything reviewable.  Offsides should be kept to human judgment, because even though it's really annoying when an offisdes decision goes against you, it's been proven that removing too much of the human element is bad news.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Crabcake47 said:

That's good news.  What's even better news is that FIFA (for now) hasn't managed to screw this up like other leagues (here's looking at you, NFL and NHL) by making almost anything reviewable.  Offsides should be kept to human judgment, because even though it's really annoying when an offisdes decision goes against you, it's been proven that removing too much of the human element is bad news.

I much prefer goal line tech. 

Example, OM scored even though it didn't look like the ball crossed, but the referees watch buzzed saying it did. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DiePerske said:

I much prefer goal line tech. 

Example, OM scored even though it didn't look like the ball crossed, but the referees watch buzzed saying it did. 

I think GLT stays.

 

The video replay on goals wouldn’t be “did it cross the line?” but rather “was the player in an offside position?” or “was the ball handled?” or similar questions, I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

I think GLT stays.

 

The video replay on goals wouldn’t be “did it cross the line?” but rather “was the player in an offside position?” or “was the ball handled?” or similar questions, I think.

 

Yeah, I'm also guessing it will be similar to Rugby and Cricket where they can go through a quick process of elimination to check that there's no reason to rule the goal out or change a penalty/red card decision like you said. The nature of the game being supposedly free flowing means that it's not realistic to make everything reviewable.

 

The current GLT method is completely objective and almost instantaneous. There's no need to change it to something that would take longer to review and almost certainly be less reliable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DiePerske said:

I much prefer goal line tech. 

Example, OM scored even though it didn't look like the ball crossed, but the referees watch buzzed saying it did. 

Oh yeah, me too. I think GLT is one of the most important innovations that has been introduced across soccer, and I hope it stays.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.