NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Road-tripping to Phoenix for the sake of saying I saw a game at jobing.com parking lot. Going to December 23 vs. Saint Louis.

Pictures of emptiness coming up.

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

The kindest thing I can say about Howard Baldwin is that as far as past, present, and prospective NHL scam artists go, he merely seems to be a benevolent dreamer rather than the outwardly self-interested sketchy OPM jockeys and convicted felons who otherwise make up his ranks. I can believe that he really loves hockey and really wants to do well and do good, he's just a bumbling cash-poor doofus. So congratulations, Howard Baldwin! Despite your best efforts, which included destroying the Whalers and almost destroying the Penguins, you are, in fact, not John Rigas or Bruce McNall!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Back to Quebec, even Dreger is wondering...

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=382356

My question is in regards to the new conference format. Everyone seems to be focusing on the uneven new conferences. Do you think that by having two conferences with just seven teams that this will put the NHL on the road to another expansion? Thanks.

Darren's Response:

Also, there's the uncertainty of the future of the Phoenix Coyotes. If ownership isn't solidified, some believe Quebec City will be a viable relocation option. If that turns out to be the case, it makes sense Quebec would shift to the east creating an 8-7 split among the four conferences. Keep in mind, this remains all highly speculative.

baltimoreravens.png

Cross-referencing from the NHL Season thread:

To briefly detour into "Adventures in NHL Babysitting" territory, the few Wild fans in attendance were almost as loud as the slightly more Coyotes fans, at least in their respective goal celebrations. Also, at one point they showed a camera shot of a fountain in the plaza outside the arena. As far as I could see, the plaza looked completely deserted.

10,976 announced tonight, on another $1 hot dog/soda/beer night, for a matchup of two division leaders. The ultrs-cheap food and drink is not attracting any additional butts to those seats. Now the Jobber normally has one of the highest beer prices in the league, at $8.00 for a 16-ouncer. I think I remember reading that the dollar beers are a smaller size, at 12 ounces. So for each of those dollar beers sold, the Coyotes are actually losing $5.00 in revenue, and not making up for it through additional ticket sales and accompanying additional concession and merchandise purchases.

Bill Veeck, the baseball owner/pitchman known for filling caverns like Cleveland Stadium and Old Comiskey, once said something to the effect that it didn't matter how little he charged for tickets, so long as he filled the stadium with people who would spend on concessions. The Coyotes, then, would be doing things exactly backward.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The $1.00 beers are 10z Bud Lights and you can only get two at a time, but yeah. It's basically all that you said.

These promotions are great for the people that actually go to the games. Had I not had a prior family commitment, I would have been at that game. (Defensive, team, "Scrappy BunchTM" systems aside) two division leaders, Saturday night, $1 everything night, I definitely would have gone. Especially being assured a great seat no matter how cheap I bought :P

It really is just so pathetic.

I was talking with somebody the other day, and they brought up an interesting idea. What if the Coyotes were able to organize a deal to play some of their games downtown at US Airways Arena (sightline issues aside)? Try and prove that it's an actual "location issue" over a lack of hockey enthusiasm. It probably couldn't be worked out or actually work. If anything it'd give Bettman another crutch to lean on if it did work., but I wonder how that could work out.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

It's never a good idea to split up a home schedule over two venues. Not only do you open up the possibility of fans not sure which venue to go to, but season ticket holders would have to hunt down seats in two arenas instead of just one. I've been to enough arenas to know that every building's seating arrangement is very different.

First things first, "sightline issues aside" with America West is like "assassination issues aside" with Mrs. Lincoln's night out.

Second of all, I think between the Suns, concerts, and whatever else they have there, it's one of the busier arenas in the country. Now, if the owners of the Thrashers decided their arena dates were more valuable on anything but their hockey team, why would a third party give up arena dates to a commodity as compromised as this one? On the other side of the transaction, how would the Coyotes, who are getting $25 million a year from Glendale just to cover partial losses, have the money to rent out another building besides the one they're being paid to play in? Who has the master lease? If it's the Suns, they'd probably tell the Coyotes to piss off because they have better events to book.

It would be an interesting experiment to see just how full of crap Valley fans are (I submit "very") about it being SO HARD to get to games, but the dollars/cents logistics of such a thing would prohibit it, not to mention how ridiculous it would look to build an arena with arguably the best sightlines in the league (I hear it's them or Montreal, depending on how you like your seating rake) after years of being in one with the worst, and then going back to the one with the worst. What an utterly inscrutable message to send to your consumer base.

Screw it, they're done.

Actually, expansion to 32 markets would be fine - if all the teams were in the right 32 markets. Houston, Kansas City, Quebec City and Hamilton each have groups interested in bringing the NHL to their area. So move Phoenix to one of them, move another struggling franchise to another, and expand to the other two. It's not necessarily a perfect solution, but it could still work.

There is more than one other struggling franchise than the Coyotes i.e. Columbus, Florida, NY Islanders to name a few.

You really think of all the 'right' places to put a team and you say Houston and Kansas City, really? Quebec City is top of the list by a country mile, but Hamilton won't even get a look in with the Maple Leafs throwing there weight around and whilst Gary Bettman and his his clan of anti-canadians are in charge! Hamilton is dead in the water and it probably will never get a team, I think a more realistic place would be Connecticut, which is a proven hockey market and has potential owners sniffing around and planing for new arenas.

Um... yes, I'm more than aware of that. Which is why I advocate moving Phoenix to one of the markets I mentioned, another struggling franchise to another of the markets (say, Florida), and so forth.

And apparently you're 2 for 2 on not understanding my post. I wasn't listing Houston and Kansas City ahead of Quebec City - merely listing them as among the markets who have groups interested in bringing the NHL to their cities, and which have markets of sufficient size (and/or facilities) to support an NHL club. Connecticut isn't viable without a brand-new arena (or an iron-clad commitment for one) plus an ownership group with sufficient resources to bring a team there; it currently has neither.

nav-logo.png

Forget Quebec City for now. No owner, no clear vision for a new rink and exactly who is going to pay to have it built, which will likely scuttle its bid.

But these aren't true. The owner would be Quebecor, they have an arena ready to build, and they sorted out the funding.

Quebec City is still the frontrunner. There's going to be a lot of wishcasting from the Toronto-based media on this.

According to this article Markham has queue jumped Quebec as potential home for the Coyotes...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43507-Campbell-Leafs-sale-is-one-step-closer-to-having-second-NHL-team-in-Toronto.html

Mmmm, that's some good baseless speculation.

Markham still ranks behind Atlanta on likely NHL relocation/expansion cities.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm not buying that it's actually better for RogersBellMLSE to cede its monopoly of Toronto, or that greater Toronto is really all that underserved when the Maple Leafs are one of the most popular sports teams in the world. The market is crystallized by now; pretty much all of southern Ontario now and forever belongs to the Leafs.

I'm also not seeing how this won't piss off the Sabres, with two years spent right in Hamilton and many more spent siphoning off the unserved GTA fans they claim to serve.

Again, most of this guy's premise is based on fiction regarding the Quebec City bid. Je ne m'inquiete pas.

Wow. Totally wrong about QC and his line of thinking on the second southern Ontario team mystifies me. The argument is that content is king, so another team would be welcome now? The ONLY way that would be true is if RogersBellMLSE owns that team, too. And, even in the GDNHL, that's not a possibility, right?

According to this article Markham has queue jumped Quebec as potential home for the Coyotes...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/43507-Campbell-Leafs-sale-is-one-step-closer-to-having-second-NHL-team-in-Toronto.html

:therock:

Seriously, does this guy even know what's going on? Quebec at least has a plan, owner & the whole nine yards. I could see Markham as an expansion or if another team moves but I think its going to be a while before that happens.

baltimoreravens.png

I could see Markham, IL as an expansion destination before Markham, ON. Hey, the Vancouver Grizzlies got courted by Dixmoor!

I'd say that's a fairly accurate ranking, though it bears noting that there's a very steep drop-off of plausibility after the first one on the list.

NHL expansion city's in order:

Quebec

Seattle(if new arena is built)

Houston

KC

Portland, OR

Hartford

I don't understand how you have ordered this, what criteria makes say Houston a better location than Hartford, enlighten me?

Also like sodboy said, Quebec City is miles ahead of any of the other locations...