NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

If you don't mind my asking, who are Travis Hughes and Ryan Lambert? Hockey bloggers that I don't care about?

Definitely the case with Ryan Lambert, Puck Daddy's resident smug, uninformed contrarian. Only time he's come off as halfway-decent is when he pitted himself against John "Ovi's on steroids because his mom lived in Russia in the '70s" Stiegerwald, who is pretty much one of the worst sports people around.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

If you don't mind my asking, who are Travis Hughes and Ryan Lambert? Hockey bloggers that I don't care about?

Definitely the case with Ryan Lambert, Puck Daddy's resident smug, uninformed contrarian. Only time he's come off as halfway-decent is when he pitted himself against John "Ovi's on steroids because his mom lived in Russia in the '70s" Stiegerwald, who is pretty much one of the worst sports people around.

Oh, Lambert's a Puck Daddy douche. Okay. That's why I haven't heard of him.

spacer.png

Another proposal by Seattle.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2017083844_arena24m.html

A wealthy San Francisco hedge-fund manager is the lead investor seeking to build a sports arena south of Safeco Field to lure an NBA basketball team back to Seattle, according to two sources briefed on the effort.

Christopher Hansen, 43, who has roots in Seattle and now heads Valiant Capital Management LLC, in San Francisco, is working with an investor group whose proposal has yet to be publicly unveiled.

Hansen, described by one source as a multimillionaire, could not be reached for comment Friday. He previously lived in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, public records show.

Hansen is working with a Bellevue man who would like to bring an NHL professional hockey team to Seattle to play in the arena, according to the source, who did not know the name of the Eastside participant.

The hockey factor

If built, the arena would add a third professional sports facility in the Sodo area, joining Safeco, home of the Seattle Mariners, and CenturyLink Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders FC.

Many think a new arena would have to offer both professional basketball and hockey to be a viable business proposition.

baltimoreravens.png

A wealthy San Francisco hedge-fund manager is the lead investor seeking to build a sports arena south of Safeco Field to lure an NBA basketball team back to Seattle, according to two sources briefed on the effort.

Christopher Hansen, 43, who has roots in Seattle and now heads Valiant Capital Management LLC, in San Francisco, is working with an investor group whose proposal has yet to be publicly unveiled.

Hansen, described by one source as a multimillionaire, could not be reached for comment Friday. He previously lived in Seattle's Leschi neighborhood, public records show.

Hansen is working with a Bellevue man who would like to bring an NHL professional hockey team to Seattle to play in the arena, according to the source, who did not know the name of the Eastside participant.

The hockey factor

If built, the arena would add a third professional sports facility in the Sodo area, joining Safeco, home of the Seattle Mariners, and CenturyLink Field, home of the Seattle Seahawks and Seattle Sounders FC.

Many think a new arena would have to offer both professional basketball and hockey to be a viable business proposition.

wait, i thought they played at Quest Field?

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

The hockey factor

wait, i thought they played at Quest Field?

CenturyLink bought out Qwest a few months ago, so the name changed.

spacer.png

That actually looks like a decent crowd for a Coyotes game. Relatively speaking.

It was Keith Tkachuk night and his number was added to the Coyotes' ring of honor. I think they did it when the Blues were there since he played in STL for awhile also.

Keith noted the crowds at America West Arena (U.S. Airways Center). It's ironic that if they still played there (supposedly I read about a plan to renovate it to have 16K seats with unobstructed views) they'd probably not be on the moving block.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

I'm trying to do the math on the Coyotes here. The NHL lost $16 million on them last year. Add that to the $25 million subsidy and that means the Coyotes lost $41 million. Payroll for last year was about $50.5 million. I don't know what travel costs and other operating expenses would be, but payroll would have to be the lion's share, right? So how low must their revenues be to spend relatively little and still lose that much?

Everyone keeps saying the NHL needs to lower the sale price in order to close the sale. There's one particular imbecile at HFBoards who keeps repeating "blwehhh, ya, alls they need to do is apply that TNSE relo fee and pay down the LOC :o:bonk:;)" but that isn't the issue. People can come up with the money to buy the team. The NHL could offer to sell the team for a dollar if they wanted. The problem is that nobody wants to assume the present and future debt associated with owning this team. It's like the old joke about the guy who buys a Ferrari and can't afford to pull it out of the driveway. It's such a losing proposition.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Oh hey, Matt Hulsizer's exclusive negotiation period is almost up, at which point it would ostensibly be Tom Stillman's turn to make an offer for the rest of the team. I'd feel much better about, well, anyone who's not Hulsizer.

http://www.truehocke...ticles/Now-What

EDIT (recycle a post, save an e-tree): Something happened.

http://courthousenew...12/30/42657.htm

An investment firm claims it paid $243,500 in consulting fees for its bid to buy the Phoenix Coyotes NHL team, but the consultants "kept the money and failed to deliver any services."

Too bad, the NHLBOG could've used a deposed Nigerian prince to increase its credibility.

The best part is that this wasn't Greg Jamison from the San Jose Sharks, this was a guy from Winnipeg named Garry Jamieson. Someone got the name wrong this whole time and nobody fact-checked.

Only the goddamned NHL.

wherein the Krusty Burglar is the credibility of the league and its reporters

The best part is that this wasn't Greg Jamison from the San Jose Sharks, this was a guy from Winnipeg named Garry Jamieson. Someone got the name wrong this whole time and nobody fact-checked.

Only the goddamned NHL.

He's actually a resident of Kelowna, B.C. (or at least his business is located there), his partner in this is a guy named Pluchinske who is from Winnipeg. I'm pretty sure that Glendale thought it was San Jose Jamison this whole time.... :lol:

As I said on HF...Best...Christmas...Ever.... :winner:

tigercatssignature-1.png

http://ca.linkedin.c...mieson/1/5B8/58

Garry Jamieson

British Columbia, Canada

Industry

Venture Capital & Private Equity

Yeah. They had the wrong name all along. This went on for four months and nobody ever did anything about it. Weep for American journalism.

Doing some googling, and I haven't found anything where Greg Jamison himself is quoted as being interested in the team. It's all just third-hand stuff.

from ESPN:

Anthony LeBlanc, the head of Ice Edge Holdings believes Jamison's interest is good news for the team. Ice Edge Holdings was involved in negotiations to buy the Coyotes for the better part of two years.

"What I'm hearing through reliable sources is that he's the real deal," LeBlanc told ESPN.com.

And we all know how stupid the Ice Edgers were.

from Fox Sports:

A group headed by former San Jose Sharks president and CEO Greg Jamison is one of two bidders for the Phoenix Coyotes.

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni confirmed Friday that Jamison was one of the bidders and that no bonds would be sold as part of any proposed deals

Well heck, if they're getting it from Glendale, no way they'll make a mistake with the names

Chicago businessman Michael Hulsizer withdrew from talks to buy the team in June.

oh

Well heck, if they're getting it from Glendale, no way they'll make a mistake with the names

Chicago businessman Michael Hulsizer withdrew from talks to buy the team in June.

oh

Probably why they didn't bat an eye at Jamison being called Garry Jamieson.. ^_^

Glendale and the Phoenix Coyotes: The gift that keeps on giving... ^_^

tigercatssignature-1.png

these HFboards posters shouldn't be allowed out of the house without diapers on. Get a load of this:

As for that article, Im suspicious. Who is "Garry Jamieson"?. Wrong name. Our man from San Jose' is as you know "Greg Jamison". I think what we have here is a case of mistaken identity, the wrong guy put in the frame. Maybe this guy "Garry" was running a parallel track to "Greg" in some sort of long-con. Hoping to buy the Coyotes using funds secured by the Panama City based Crimson Group, who claimed to have an "in" with European funding & banks. Instead, Crimson ran a short-con on "Garry Jamieson", taking him for app. $244K in upfront consultancy fee's in order to secure the $500Mil he was hoping theyd deliver... instead, they did nothing, and now its up before the 15th Circuit in Florida.

What? Occam's Razor, you retard. Greg Jamison has nothing to do with this, considering that no one has ever heard from Greg Jamison himself regarding such a transaction; it has only been attributed to him because some talk radio chucklehead in Phoenix misspelled the Canadian guy's name. Also, the talk about Jamison "going to Europe to find investors" aligns with this scam. I'm amused by the fact that Sharks Guy never bothered to categorically deny that he was buying the Coyotes. Too polite?

That quote just seems incomplete somehow without "Ron Paul 2012" thrown in there somewhere.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Look, I'm sorry, but I'm still not over the fact that this has gone on for four months without anybody figuring out that they got the guy's name wrong. Imagine if panic broke out among NFL observers because some sports talk host said the villain from Mortal Kombat was going to buy the Rams or Jaguars and nobody said anything.

I think it's a combination of factors at work here.

1) Not enough people in the accepted national sports conversation care about who might own the Phoenix Coyotes, or any NHL franchise, for that matter;

2) Those who do care long ago realized that "potential Coyotes owner" carries roughly the same amount of likelihood as an HFBoards trade proposal;

3) So many names and groups have been tossed around so haphazardly in this prolonged mess, Elaine Scruggs & Gary Bettman could hold a joint presser tomorrow announcing the Coyotes had been tentatively sold to a group of leprechauns for 17 pots of gold on the condition that an O'Charley's gets built at Westgate, and you'd find very few eyebrows raised.

In other words, for anyone who cares, there's probably a fair bit of fatigue and resignation. Why bother looking into who might buy the Coyotes? They're not going to buy them anyway.