NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I don't think the Devils are going anywhere simply because they're too valuable where they are, but the enormous debt they're in isn't going to be resolved by buying out a minority partner (well actually he's buying himself out, he's paying them $25 million to get out). They should not have built that arena.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Nets games until April.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

But they had to, how many parking lot parades can you have?

Does anything else take place in that arena? Concerts? Monster Trucks? Lipizanner stallions? Gaither Homecomings? Anything?

I don't think anyone misses the Meadowlands Arena or their world famous ushers.

Decent concert venue but for everything else it was terrible.

Does anything else take place in that arena? Concerts? Monster Trucks? Lipizanner stallions? Gaither Homecomings? Anything?

They also have Seton Hall Basketball, the circus, concerts its quite a profitable opperation. Bruce sold out two concerts in like 20 seconds a few days ago.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They also have Seton Hall Basketball, the circus, concerts its quite a profitable opperation. Bruce sold out two concerts in like 20 seconds a few days ago.

Yeah that arena gets alot of use.

Can also stage MMA fights in Jersey as well where as you cannot in New York, so it gets alot of bookings in that regard as well.

Don't get me wrong, as a Devils fan, this s**t concerns me...

...but we're not even in the same galaxy as the Phoenix or Long Island situations.

You're logic is sound....except that this is Gary Bettman's NHL where teams that are trouble, but not as much trouble as the Coyotes, are sacrificed to save the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment.

Well that's cool, I honestly didn't know what else went on in PrudRena.

So with all of that stuff happening, how are the Devils bleeding money? Don't they own and operate it? If so, how is it possible for them, with all that additional event and concession revenue floating in?

For the record, I don't honestly believe that the Devils are in any danger of moving anywhere, but IF (strictly hypothetical due to my willful ignorance of this situation) they're the O/Os of Prudential, even with a lower than expected average attendance, I can't see how they're in such bad financial shape.

Other than the Kovalchuk deal. Seriously, guys.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Money has a habbit of disappearing in Newark and New Jersey, so anything is possible. They may have been investing with the Wilpons.

Or their current owner may himself be a crook. Jeffrey Vanderbeek was an executive VP over at Lehman Brothers before owning the Devils and has paid himself a salary in excess of $20 million virtually every year he's owned the team. Don't tell me somebody like that wasn't heavily involved in the issues that ultimately caused them to go under.

There's simply no good reason I can come up with for why that team should be losing that much money.

Pretty sure it's arena construction debt plus increased price points that are doing them in. After running a break-even operation at the Meadowlands, they raised prices without a commensurate raise in demand, and that never gets you anywhere good, certainly nowhere near paying off the $100 million it cost you to build the place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

...but we're not even in the same galaxy as the Phoenix or Long Island situations.

You're logic is sound....except that this is Gary Bettman's NHL where teams that are trouble, but not as much trouble as the Coyotes, are sacrificed to save the Great Arizona Hockey Experiment.

Bingo, which is why I believe that the next team to be moved will NOT be Phoenix. If they weren't the ones to end up in Winnipeg when it was pretty much set in the stars to happen, then their chances of moving at this point are pretty slim. It's really sad that I've got more faith that another team will be sacrificed to Canada or a new market in America before the Coyotes mess is resolved. Hell, I'd even venture to say that the only way the Coyotes are leaving the desert is if the franchise gets contracted, and even those chances are slim-to-none.

Time to interject with a terrible HFBoards idea I saw!

That's why I suggested Wang should sell the Islanders to Quebec then buy the Devils and the team would now be called Unified Newark/Long Island! One common enemy: the Rangers! It would be crazy to have all those championship banners for one team.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

Time to interject with a terrible HFBoards idea I saw!

That's why I suggested Wang should sell the Islanders to Quebec then buy the Devils and the team would now be called Unified Newark/Long Island! One common enemy: the Rangers! It would be crazy to have all those championship banners for one team.

And now, for my next impression: Don Cornelius.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. This is the Coyotes thread I've seen at least two people say they can't find. Not sure why. Perhaps it's the obscure Scrubs reference. To that point, an AP story I read within the past 2 weeks referenced a "Sharks exec" with a name like Jamison. Wasn't it established here that it was a different guy, hence the thread title?

To recap the speculated destinations for the team next year in order of likelihood: Glendale, Seattle, Quebec City, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Portland and did I read San Diego here somewhere? :) Carry on.

Neither were the Thrashers. And they're gone.

What saves the Devils....for now, anyway....is that there isn't another Winnipeg/True North in place ready to go. There are venues with owners not particularly interested in bringing in an NHL team, and there are businessmen without venues that want to own a team.