NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Seems to me they're all blaming Nassau County for the mess that they're in & are 100% on Wang's side. This is like the exact opposite of your typical reaction to a team moving.

Then again, most of them are convinced that the team will only be moving into the Barclays Center & not skipping out on New York completely. For their sake, I hope that's the case. It'd be cool if they could leave NVMC but stay in Brooklyn, even if it meant having to play in what would be the smallest hockey arena in the NHL.

There are some further down that are crucifying Wang because they think the team not winning is why the Nassau politicians don't care. But yeah, the first 50-100 comments are on Wang's side. Of course, I remember seeing somewhere that the Barclays Center is not a long term option because of 1. Sightlines and 2. Bettman saying that it was far too small for NHL standards. But I can't find links to those, so...

Seems to me they're all blaming Nassau County for the mess that they're in & are 100% on Wang's side. This is like the exact opposite of your typical reaction to a team moving.

Then again, most of them are convinced that the team will only be moving into the Barclays Center & not skipping out on New York completely. For their sake, I hope that's the case. It'd be cool if they could leave NVMC but stay in Brooklyn, even if it meant having to play in what would be the smallest hockey arena in the NHL.

There are some further down that are crucifying Wang because they think the team not winning is why the Nassau politicians don't care. But yeah, the first 50-100 comments are on Wang's side. Of course, I remember seeing somewhere that the Barclays Center is not a long term option because of 1. Sightlines and 2. Bettman saying that it was far too small for NHL standards. But I can't find links to those, so...

Well, Islander fans are insane. It's probably the only fanbase where the HFBoard for the team reflects the fanbase in general :P

But yeah, they really have to get something done soon. I'd be cool with Brooklyn even with the smaller capacity because it keeps the team in the area. As long as they don't leave the NYC area (or even Hartford) I'm fine. If they leave... well, I'm too big of a hockey fan to stop following the sport and will probably switch to the Devils if that happens. That's one of the problems, though. There's many Islander fans who will easily do that (or just in general root for the Rangers), so moving the team becomes that much easier. Then again, there were Islander fans I personally know who said that they'd move out of Long Island to wherever the team moves after the August 1st vote failed... including Quebec. :wacko:

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I think Wang deserves a free pass even if the Islanders end up moving. He might not know what he's doing on the hockey ops side, but I think most fans realize that he's really tried his best in working something out in Nassau. Most owners would have given up and moved the team years ago.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Oh, for Christ's sake, they've been telling us that some mystery billionaire is maybe about to step up in a week or two for three years now, and the asset has only gotten more and more toxic.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, right. It's been two weeks for the last three years. So converting Arizona time to real time, it means a new owner in about three years....

tigercatssignature-1.png

It's going to be Gary Bettman with a mohawk.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

http://www.azcentral...ty-bickley.html

The Coyotes could have a new owner within a week.

Within a week? When will the owner's meeting be scheduled?

From the story:

One source said this third party is not only very real, but extremely wealthy and spending serious money on due diligence.

That is heard every day in other industries and means little. Plus, shouldn't the NHL owners be doing the due diligence since they do not want to keep subsidizing the 30th team any longer?

John Spano did some great due diligence on himself and found himself highly qualified!

No no no I know they mean they're trying to make sure their investors have enough money, but is that the sort of thing you should have to do? If you have a really solid group of investors put together, then you shouldn't have to do that much work, one should have to think.

Larry Jettman?

Devin Dark?

Nah Devin Dark's Jim Balsillie.

Whatever happened to that NHL Guardians nonsense anyway?

FAKE EDIT- Nothing's happened since the 2011 All-Star game. Heck, they still have "The Thrasher."

All that hype and nothing came of it. So much for the "hey if they market it well and it gets kids interested then it's ok" argument.

Larry Jettman?

Devin Dark?

Nah Devin Dark's Jim Balsillie.

Whatever happened to that NHL Guardians nonsense anyway?

FAKE EDIT- Nothing's happened since the 2011 All-Star game. Heck, they still have "The Thrasher."

All that hype and nothing came of it. So much for the "hey if they market it well and it gets kids interested then it's ok" argument.

They had a "Guardian Vault" thing that they occasionally updated on the website, then they just flat out stopped after April or June for no apparent reason. Now the whole thing's in a weird sort of limbo where it still exists, but nothing's been said as to whether the NHL are going to keep it around or have deemed it a failure.

If it's dead, NBC certainly won't be happy after spending a hundred-or-so million dollars on it :P

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

http://www.azcentral.com/community/glendale/articles/2012/02/21/20120221glendale-phoenix-coyotes-nhl-5-million.html

Councilman Phil Lieberman demanded to know where staff was going to find the $5 million not allocated in this year's budget to pay the National Hockey League.

Glendale pledged $25 million to the NHL, for the second year, to manage the hockey team and city-owned arena.

The payment comes due at the end of the season in April.

"We need to find the money now," Lieberman said. "We owe that."

The city last year set aside $20 million in this year's budget with the intention of securing a team buyer who would pay the NHL tab.

Sherry Schurhammer, management and budget director, said $20 million is in escrow and "we have to identify where the $5 million will come from and set up an inter-fund loan like in fiscal year 2011."

oops