NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Hmm, whichever brownfield QC wanted to build on is apparently too contaminated to decontaminate (with what? years' worth of rotten poutine? LOL!), so they're just tearing down the Hippodrome and building it there.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/le-soleil/dossiers/vers-un-nouveau-colisee/201203/13/01-4505278-amphitheatre-le-terrain-de-lhippodrome-devenu-incontournable.php?utm_categorieinterne=trafficdrivers&utm_contenuinterne=cyberpresse_B13b_la-capitale_577_section_POS2

Selon M. Labeaume, c'est la découverte de «poches» de sol très contaminé sur le site choisi au départ, celui au coin de Laurentienne et Hamel, et les règles strictes du ministère de l'Environnement qui ont forcé la Ville à se diriger vers l'hippodrome.

According to Mr. Labeaume, it's the discovery of "pockets" of very contaminated soil on the starting chosen site, there on the corner of Laurentienne and Hamel, and the strict rules of the Ministry of the Environment who have forced the city to operate near the Hippodrome.

170750-jockey-club-regroupement-hommes-affaires.jpg

So this will be the façade of the new arena. Kinda reminds me of the London Knights' rink, where the façade is the shell of an old building and the rest of the structure looks modern. Pretty cool. See? What a bullet we dodged with the whole Hamilton thing.

:mad::angered::cursing:

tigercatssignature-1.png

Things are looking up for Quebecor:

Quebecor Inc. has "all the tools" it needs to bring a National Hockey League team to Quebec City, it said Thursday, as it reported profit that blew past expectations.

The Montreal-based media and telecommunications company said it spent 2011 refining its operations, and now wants to focus on hockey. Gains in its cable business led to a profit of $85.4-million, or $1.34 a share, compared to $46.6-million, or 72 cents, a year ago. Analysts expected a profit of 89 cents.

The company reached a deal for the naming rights of a yet-to-be-built $400-million arena in the city earlier this month. Terms of the deal vary depending on the eventual tenant, but Quebecor could pay as much as $65-million for the rights.

"As we review the events of 2011, we must also note the final agreement on management and naming rights to the future arena in Quebec City," the company said in a statement as it released its quarterly and full-year results. "Quebecor Media now has all the tools it needs to pursue its goals, which are to manage a world-class multipurpose centre and to bring a National Hockey League team to Quebec City."

http://www.theglobea...article2369873/

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Awesome news. This is starting to look really good for Quebec City and the league. Actual money!

Canadians: TVA and CTV seem to be tied together somewhat. Do you guys think there's going to be bilingual coverage of a new Nords team? I know they'll be in French on TVA Sports, but is there a chance that there could be a TSN-Nordiques subchannel like TSN-Jets but for Quebec/Maritimes? Or would they just do a SAP? I ask because I'll probably re-up my Gamecenter subscription and I was thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had to watch their games in French (they don't give me that option for the Canadiens because there's an English feed).

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So we have a hockey-crazy city marching forward with a new arena and signing strong naming-rights deals, while the league keeps dumping money year after year to prop up a team that can't draw fans in a city that wants them out.

Looks like there's only one way this ends.

A post from HFboards by someone who purports to be a teacher:

Basic math says that 40 games X 12,000 people is actually more people than are served by the libraries. And even the best library on the planet isn't really making money for the city. I often go out to dinner at Westgate before a game - I can't say I've ever viewed the library as that sort of 'event' destination that makes me spend money.

Arizona is weird

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Basic math says that 40 games X 12,000 people is actually more people than are served by the libraries. And even the best library on the planet isn't really making money for the city. I often go out to dinner at Westgate before a game - I can't say I've ever viewed the library as that sort of 'event' destination that makes me spend money.

Arizona is weird

yeah... I can't believe the millions of dollars the librarians are making...

I saw, I came, I left.

Awesome news. This is starting to look really good for Quebec City and the league. Actual money!

Canadians: TVA and CTV seem to be tied together somewhat. Do you guys think there's going to be bilingual coverage of a new Nords team? I know they'll be in French on TVA Sports, but is there a chance that there could be a TSN-Nordiques subchannel like TSN-Jets but for Quebec/Maritimes? Or would they just do a SAP? I ask because I'll probably re-up my Gamecenter subscription and I was thinking it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if I had to watch their games in French (they don't give me that option for the Canadiens because there's an English feed).

The Jets get a lot of exposure on TSN, but keep in mind that TSN/CTV and Jets both belong to Lord Thomson. The Canadiens already have a subchannel on TSN for eastern Quebec and the Maritimes. Getting the new Nordiques in on that type of exposure would depend on how much the Molsons are willing to concede to Quebecor.

SportsNet East with the Senators wouldn't be a bad idea.

Having only Francophone coverage could work long term, but not right away. Canadian fans all over were excited about the Jets' return. I could see the first season or two of the new Nordiques drawing in Anglophone Canadian fans, if for nothing else then to watch the new Canadian team.

Arrogance of the "fanbase". Their sense of entitlement. General snobbery.

The whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. It happens.

Also, yea... frogs do suck...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Can't agree with you there - I think any city that's worked that hard to get a team back is, well, entitled to a sense of entitlement. Especially when their work stands in so much contrast with other places around the league.

Arizona is weird

yeah... I can't believe the millions of dollars the librarians are making...

Plus his "basic math" is rather interesting.

According to the city budget, "1.46 million people walked through the doors of the Glendale Public Libraries in FY 2009."

I don't see a number for a more recent year, but let's say that it has stayed roughly the same. "40 games X 12,000 people" equals 480,000 patrons for Coyotes games. Math was never my strongest subject, but it is my understanding that 1,460,000 is slightly greater than 480,000.

That is, even if reducing the "Libraries v. Coyotes Subsidy" argument to raw numbers of "people served" like McDonald's wasn't irretrievably silly. Which it is.

Sounds like even the mayor has given up...

http://www.facebook.com/LisaHalverstadt

Glendale Mayor Elaine Scruggs gave her State of the City address today.

Here's what she had to say about the status of negotiations with potential Phoenix Coyotes buyers:

"Now, this would be a perfect time to provide you with an update on the Phoenix Coyotes, but I won’t be doing that because I don’t know anything other than what has already been reported by the media. But, we continue to hope the National Hockey League will find a new owner that will bring stability to this franchise."

Either that or another "2 weeks"

baltimoreravens.png