NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Update from Darren Dreger....

https://twitter.com/#!/DarrenDreger/status/182618976126386176

Unless progress is made this week in sale of Coyotes.NHL will begin Plan B investigation next wk. Seattle, Que City, Vegas and KC in mix.

8:05 PM - 21 Mar 12 via Twitter

Looks like were getting close to the return on Quebec or a new beginning for Seattle, Vegas or KC?? Make this nightmare end already.

baltimoreravens.png

Las Vegas and Kansas City are red herrings. Las Vegas has no ownership candidate, no arena, no television deal, oh and it's a f***ing ghost town. Kansas City has no ownership candidate and a city/arena management group that's perfectly happy running a schedule without NBA/NHL anchor tenants. Seattle has no arena.

The fact that the Colisee is being renovated and the Remparts' office staff is being made to leave should say a lot.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Looks like this whole thing might finally FINALLY be coming to a head, doesn't it?

Obviously for the good of the league and the health of the game (and hell, for the good of Glendale), I understand that the Coyotes need to leave. If I didn't actually live here, I'd be full force behind wanting the Coyotes to just get the hell out. But like I said in the main NHL thread, for my own selfish reasons, I hope that somebody does come in at the 11th hour to save the Coyotes or at least string this out a little longer (at least two years, then I'll leave AZ, and give the Yotes my full blessing :P )

Again, all that said, swaping Phoenix for Quebec, and we'd have the NHL back to the right and good way it should've been. Only other team that probably doesn't fit/work left would the the Panthers, but they're not in money troubles yet. (Are they?) Since the NHL isn't going to expand and I still believe Columbus should have their team and the other Southern teams (Dallas/Nashville/Carolina/Tampa) are all relative successes and in good shape, the Panthers are the only other team that I would put up as Seattle-bait right now.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Looks like this whole thing might finally FINALLY be coming to a head, doesn't it?

Obviously for the good of the league and the health of the game (and hell, for the good of Glendale), I understand that the Coyotes need to leave. If I didn't actually live here, I'd be full force behind wanting the Coyotes to just get the hell out. But like I said in the main NHL thread, for my own selfish reasons, I hope that somebody does come in at the 11th hour to save the Coyotes or at least string this out a little longer (at least two years, then I'll leave AZ, and give the Yotes my full blessing :P )

Again, all that said, swaping Phoenix for Quebec, and we'd have the NHL back to the right and good way it should've been. Only other team that probably doesn't fit/work left would the the Panthers, but they're not in money troubles yet. (Are they?) Since the NHL isn't going to expand and I still believe Columbus should have their team and the other Southern teams (Dallas/Nashville/Carolina/Tampa) are all relative successes and in good shape, the Panthers are the only other team that I would put up as Seattle-bait right now.

IIRC, the Panthers are not in any trouble, and they actually have been doing pretty well financially, recently. The attendance numbers are pretty high too.

I think the Panthers are fine, its not a bad market, the previous problems stem from the decade of losing, and tens years of being in the cellar will hurt any team (well, maybe not the Leafs or Habs). If they can ice a competetive team, the fans will come.

From twitter:

les gens occupant le Colisée auraient eu l'ordre de faire un "ménage" dans leurs locaux.

"The gentlemen occupying the Colisee will have to make order of the mess in their place."

I think Quebec City just evicted the Remparts :/

I think your translation's off. Google Translate says: "People occupying the Colisee would have to order a "household" in their premises". I think what it means is not that the Remparts are out, but that they would have to be a secondary tenant in the case an NHL team moves in (until the new arena is built).

In this case, it simply means that they should tidy up their offices... Likely to make room for another tenant.

Well, I don't know what kind of scheduling they have at the Colisee for next year. It might be that there won't be enough dates for the Nordiques, Remparts, and concerts/conventions/whatever, so the Remparts may have to move to a smaller building or out of town altogether. At any rate, the Nords are gonna need the office space.

EDIT: http://qmjhlarenagui...om/jeunesse.htm

This seems like a good alternative site for the Remparts. Youth Pavilion!

I don't think this would work... It can hold only 5,000, and the Remparts usually have around 10,000 in attendance. It's pretty obvious those numbers will drop if the NHL returns to Québec City, but my guess is the QMJHL would like to have the Remparts stay at the Colisée for now.

Arrogance of the "fanbase". Their sense of entitlement. General snobbery.

The whole thing just rubs me the wrong way. It happens.

Also, yea... frogs do suck...

Bigot.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but does Seattle have an arena that's viable even as a 1 or 2 year holdover until they can build a new one? Actually, is that plan still even moving forward?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

KeyArena has about 12,000 usable seats for hockey and the scoreboard hangs over one of the ends instead of center ice. It would be a cross between when the Coyotes had to play in a basketball-only arena and when the Senators had to play under the stands of a football stadium, so "viable" is highly subjective. And I don't think the Tacoma Dome has an ice plant anymore. Buildings that stop holding ice events seem to stop maintaining their ice plants (or vice versa). I don't think the Palace of Auburn Hills still lays down an ice surface, for example.

I thought the deal with No Not That Chris Hansen was that he wasn't going to start building an arena till an NBA team was secured, partially owing to the fact that an NHL team wouldn't have anywhere to play in the meantime and partially because they're really only doing this to get the Supersonics back and an NHL co-tenant is just a reason to justify the expenditures (see also: dragging the Whalers down to Raleigh so NC State could have a big arena). That the Kings and Hornets are off the market really throws a wrench into the "getting the Supersonics back" thing, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's on hold for a while.

So yeah I'm pretty sure there's no way you could have an Seattle NHL team ready to go by October. And Las Vegas hahaha you're not fooling anyone Bill Daly

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sorry if it's been mentioned, but does Seattle have an arena that's viable even as a 1 or 2 year holdover until they can build a new one? Actually, is that plan still even moving forward?

Yeah, KeyArena is just not good.

Seating_KeyArena_hockey.jpg

Key-Arena-Hockey.jpg

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Further emphasis for KeyArena's badness, the scoreboard is centered over the blue line:

keyarena2.jpg

KeyArena has about 12,000 usable seats for hockey and the scoreboard hangs over one of the ends instead of center ice. It would be a cross between when the Coyotes had to play in a basketball-only arena and when the Senators had to play under the stands of a football stadium, so "viable" is highly subjective.

Ah c'mon, but this was fun, wasn't it?

1219696358_46892d84a3.jpg

301215.jpg

And the Senators played HERE? Good God.

ottawacivic.jpg

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

There's something kind of cozy about that west end (girls). That mezzanine doesn't seem so bad. Upper deck sightlines must've sucked, though.

I vaguely remember before the last Coyotes game at America West Arena, they said that you could only see about 70% of the rink from the upper deck on that side.

There's something kind of cozy about that west end (girls). That mezzanine doesn't seem so bad. Upper deck sightlines must've sucked, though.

I vaguely remember before the last Coyotes game at America West Arena, they said that you could only see about 70% of the rink from the upper deck on that side.

Yeah, just looking at the 3rd pic in that post, you can probably tell that if you're sitting up high in the west end's upper deck (not on the front row or anything like that), the only way you're gonna see anything past the bottom of the faceoff circles in that zone is if you see it on the jumbotron. It's amazing that they stayed in that arena as long as they did.

Yeah, just looking at the 3rd pic in that post, you can probably tell that if you're sitting up high in the west end's upper deck (not on the front row or anything like that), the only way you're gonna see anything past the bottom of the faceoff circles in that zone is if you see it on the jumbotron. It's amazing that they stayed in that arena as long as they did.

Well, it's the Coyotes.

spacer.png

So if this happens the new Nords will historically be the old Winnipeg Jets and of course Coyotes while the new Jets are historically an Atlanta expansion team that replaced the Flames that now play in Calgary. Anyone else find all of that just bizarre?

So if this happens the new Nords will historically be the old Winnipeg Jets and of course Coyotes while the new Jets are historically an Atlanta expansion team that replaced the Flames that now play in Calgary. Anyone else find all of that just bizarre?

It's better not to try to make sense of it. Instead, just say this: OITGDNHL.