NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

Your timeline is messed up. Isles were '72, Scouts moved to Denver in '76 (and then the Meadowlands in '82). I don't doubt that the NHL has wanted to get in on Seattle for a long time, but that failed Seattle/Denver expansion was well after they set up shop on/squatted on Long Island, so it's not really a matter of them "coming home."

Isles aren't leaving the region, though. They'll play in the Barclays if they have to between the Nassau Coliseum and a new arena. Bruce Ratner was on during intermission of a game I watched last week, wildly gesticulating about how much he wanted to help keep the team around. I'm sure the team's various ownership/broadcast overlords wouldn't have him on TV for nothing.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Your timeline is messed up. Isles were '72, Scouts moved to Denver in '76 (and then the Meadowlands in '82). I don't doubt that the NHL has wanted to get in on Seattle for a long time, but that failed Seattle/Denver expansion was well after they set up shop on/squatted on Long Island, so it's not really a matter of them "coming home."

Isles aren't leaving the region, though. They'll play in the Barclays if they have to between the Nassau Coliseum and a new arena. Bruce Ratner was on during intermission of a game I watched last week, wildly gesticulating about how much he wanted to help keep the team around. I'm sure the team's various ownership/broadcast overlords wouldn't have him on TV for nothing.

It may be that I am off, I got obsessed with the old WHL/PCHL a few years back and as I remember it the Totems were still active when Seattle was promised an NHL franchise, and I had the Totems as going belly up in 73 on one of the spreadsheets I did (I see no need in hiding my obsessive/compulsive nature on our sports logo and uniform message board). I see now that it was 75, so I am probably off. As I was writing that last message, I had also nearly put down that the NHL tried to relocate the Isles and the Penguins before remembering that it was the Seals.

Perhaps wishful thinking got in the way a bit.

I know it's an outside shot for the Isles to leave the region (though leaving Nassau is almost a certainty), and that Seattle's role in the Islanders future is little more than a bogeyman to scare up some much needed support (I remember back when Jeff Smulyan used Tampa Bay in a similar manner against the Mariners), but this is the NHL, and seeing the latest shenanigans with Phoenix compared with the seemingly inept front office in New York, it's not completely outside the realm of possibility.

nhl94vansigpng.png

The Isles still need to get a new arena and there appears to be none on the horizon...

tigercatssignature-1.png

I grant that Toronto and Montreal are not US cities, but they are not cities seeking expansion/relocation teams either. They have been in the league since its creation. They aren't going anywhere any time soon. (sadly) I'm just saying that since all that the BOG cares about is expanding revenue, and US TV revenues would be a good way to do so, that expanding into Canada would not be something they would see as favourable to that plan.

I agree that you have accurately summed up the attitude of the BoG in the past, which is why the sport's in the poor shape it is now.

Hopefully, they've learned their lesson with the dismal failure of the Coyotes and success of the Jets.

The Isles still need to get a new arena and there appears to be none on the horizon...

It would be interesting to see if playing at the Barclays Centre would be viable long-term....

It would be interesting to see if playing at the Barclays Centre would be viable long-term....

It's probably not viable long term, as it was built primarily for basketball and not as a joint-tenant setup. It's too small for NHL Hockey long-term.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Well from what I have read/seen the Barclay's Center is being built primarily as a basketball venue only, and will only seat 14,500 fans for hockey. Even though it would be great to see the Islanders play in Brooklyn, it is probably not a viable option. Although a pre-season game is scheduled between the Islanders and New Jersey Devils, so you never know...

It has been suggested that the New York Islanders could play games at the Barclays Center once their lease at the Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum expires in 2015. Brooklyn is geographically the western end of Long Island, and many on other parts of the island have roots there.[8] Also, the Nets and Islanders had previously shared Nassau Coliseum from 1972 to 1977. Financing documents for the arena released in December 2009 indicate that ?The New York Islanders could potentially become a tenant? at the Barclays Center.[9] The Islanders' agreement with the New York Rangers allows them to relocate anywhere on Long Island, including Brooklyn and Queens.[10] Whereas the original Gehry design would have featured a hockey configuration with capacity typical of the arenas used in the National Hockey League, the final design for the Barclays Center is designed mainly for basketball use. It can nevertheless accommodate an NHL-size rink, though the arena will only be able to seat 14,500 fans in its hockey configuration, which would give it the lowest seating capacity in the NHL.[11] The Islanders are scheduled to play a preseason game against the New Jersey Devils at the Barclays Center on October 2, 2012.

There was also supposed to be a Seattle/Denver expansion in the '70s, but it was cancelled because the Scouts moved to Denver instead. Poor Seattle.

I thought the 1970s problem was that both the NHL and WHA had expanded too far too fast and were therefore teetering on the brink of collapse when it came time to add Seattle and Denver, so that was why the league cancelled the expansion.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Hockey is not first and foremost a TV show; it remains a gate-driven league. You have to make your money by selling tickets, beer, and parking spaces; local broadcast rights are a secondary concern; national rights highly tertiary. If there are hockey tickets in Phoenix that people can buy and don't while there are hypothetical tickets in Quebec City that people can't buy but would, then you have not properly allocated your resources in a gate-driven league.

And as far as media goes, secondary as it may be, it can't hurt that the Nordiques would be an arm of a huge media conglomerate.

This is exactly why I want to see all teams in markets where people are actually willing to pay the $30, $50, $100+ etc. to go sit in an ugly plastic seat and watch the good ol' hockey game. If it's a gate-driven league, and there is nobody buying the tickets because the on-ice product either sucks or simply doesn't appeal to the marketplace due to a lack of cultural belonging, the league has no business trying to operate in that market.

So if this is indeed the end of the Coyotes, then wow. Finally eh? What's it been? Three years? The board will seem somewhat empty without the tales of self-destructive league and civic actions.

Isn't Abbotsford still thrashing around and twitching?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

So if this is indeed the end of the Coyotes, then wow. Finally eh? What's it been? Three years? The board will seem somewhat empty without the tales of self-destructive league and civic actions.

Isn't Abbotsford still thrashing around and twitching?

The Heat are still a thing? Wow.

I stand corrected then. Someone dig that topic back up.

Don't worry, Cap, there's still plenty of controversial topics available in the world of sport. I think the boards will get along just fine.

Nothing quite tops "closing libraries to pay for a sports team no one in the immediate area cares about." :D