NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

But just because they can sue, should they?

The bigger questions are: Will gutting what is clearly a bad deal make things better? Or will the possible loss of the hockey team and everything that goes with that in terms of jobs and adjacent businesses make the situation in Glendale even worse?

Those issues mean nothing to Goldwater donors from outside of Arizona.

Just as the donors in those other states could care less if a Goldwater lawsuit makes it more difficult on the police officers who patrol our streets.

Oh geez, did "could care less" used instead of "couldn't care less" make it into a major publication? And even this guy admits that it's a bad deal!

Also interesting that the other "bad" Goldwater example is stopping police officers for doing work for their union while they're on police department time. I'm not so sure I like that one, either.

Report today is that Jamison is anywhere from $100 to $120 million short of what he needs, and so the NHL will own the majority of the team in perpetuity. Boy, that sucks if true. Having an NHL team in Phoenix is officially the most important thing in the history of sports.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I prefer the whole "Glendale thinks Jamison will buy the goddamn arena in 5 years and free them of most of the subsidy and debt service" pipe dream. Only some councilmembers believe that (including the one who addressed the feral cat issue).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm at a loss for words. The guy is up to $120 million short on a $140 million investment? :censored:. Can I buy the team on credit? I am just $20 million short of Jamison. How is he even in the picture having only 14% of the purchase price? Oh, right. NHL.

I said weeks ago this guy wasn't rich enough. Turns out even I underestimated just how underfunded he was. Jamison really must've been the last guy they could find who was remotely interested, so they trot him out before the Glendale leadership, give them some false promises, and then drop the bombshell that he's really got nothing just days later.

Yeah, he even told the city council he didn't have enough money before they voted.

As usual when it comes to the NHL, I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around the Creative Math that would go into this. (Matt Hulsizer being gifted more money than it would take to buy the team but still not being able to afford that is the all-timer.) From what's trickled out over the last few years, the Coyotes have lost about $40 million a year, so minus the taxpayer subsidy that's about $15 million that the league loses on the team every year. The subsidy is going down, player payroll is possibly going up, and if Jamison doesn't have enough money to buy the team outright, how does he have the money to shoulder the annual losses? If this is supposed to be part of a payment plan, how does he afford to pay in installments? The only explanation I can come up with for this plan is that Jeremy Jacobs owns their concession contract.

Nope, the Jobber uses Aramark, so this officially makes less than no sense.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Worth noting is that Jacobs does own the concession rights to Nashville's arena, so not only are they subsidized, but they're in turn indirectly funding the Bruins. Nice scheme if you can work it.

How on Earth have the owners not revolted against this idiot Bettman yet?

He shut down the league for a year to stop the fiscal bleeding and forced the players into a 25% pay cut. He makes his bosses money, however unscrupulously. By doing the bidding of Jacobs, MLSE, and a consortium of small-timers, he's consolidated a good deal of power.

I really think the NHL needs to go down to just two conferences and that's it. Put each team in either the East or West and be done with it. As for teams going bye-bye everyone could argue that until blue in the face. Ever since Bettman has been in charge a lot of teams have came into the league that shouldn't have been (or moved to places they shouldn't have). The NHL is overpopulated as it is with 30 teams. There really should only be 24 teams at most. Teams like the NY Islanders, Columbus Blue Jackets (I live an hour south of Columbus, but honestly they are a joke), Florida Panthers, Anaheim Ducks, and Phoenix Coyotes have no place in pro hockey. Not saying that because some are in places where it's hot 85 percent of the year/ doesn't really matter Stanley Cup is always played in June when it's hot everywhere. You go to anywhere in Columbus and all you see is scarlet and grey. Heck most sports stores don't even carry Blue Jackets merchandise.... but point being, the NHL should be fixed, sooner than later. Just like baseball, it was better when there were less divisions and better rivalries. Do cities in the "Sun Belt" deserve hockey? Some have proven that they do i.e. Tampa, Raleigh. There shouldn't be two teams in LA, nor should there be three teams in the NYC metro area/send the Islanders packing. As the saying goes we can wish in one hand and crap in the other. But as long as Buttman is in charge just think the most rediculous thing and it will probably happen.

Completely untrue.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Once again, the entire thrust of the argument for keeping the Coyotes appears to be, "Yes, this is a horrible plan, but SPORTS!"

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How on Earth have the owners not revolted against this idiot Bettman yet? He's only hurting their possible revenue streams with bull :censored: like the Coyotes saga, which is preventing the NHL from being viewed as a serious sport.

What's to revolt against? He just got Glendale to all but bankrupt itself to fund a team. And he's made them tons more money on top of that. If anything for the owners he's been one of the best commissioners they've ever had. Face it, the Coyotes situation may be bad for the fans, but for the owners it's turning into a seemingly never-ending gravy train courtesy of the idiots running Glendale.

No, it has not been a windfall for the owners. Even with the massive illegal subsidies Glendale has forked over, the NHL still loses money annually on the Coyotes. And after three years of this charade, having lost over $100 million on the team, they are in a position to hypothetically sell it for what they paid to a guy who doesn't actually have any money. Even in the instance Jamison wins the Powerball lotto and decides to actually buy the team, the owners still would have lost over $100 million.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

No, it has not been a windfall for the owners. Even with the massive illegal subsidies Glendale has forked over, the NHL still loses money annually on the Coyotes. And after three years of this charade, having lost over $100 million on the team, they are in a position to hypothetically sell it for what they paid to a guy who doesn't actually have any money. Even in the instance Jamison wins the Powerball lotto and decides to actually buy the team, the owners still would have lost over $100 million.

More importantly, going through with THIS plan ropes the NHL into a 20 year commitment to Phoenix. I suspect that part is what would ultimately prompt an owners revolt because they don't want to do something that long term.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Goldwater filed suit this morning. Bettman sends Gary Jamison an Edible Arrangement shaped like Shane Doan as a thank-you for clowning it up and guaranteeing another season of house hockey.

Does that make the Jobberdome Section 8 housing?

How on Earth have the owners not revolted against this idiot Bettman yet? He's only hurting their possible revenue streams with bull :censored: like the Coyotes saga, which is preventing the NHL from being viewed as a serious sport.

The thing you have to understand about NHL ownership is that a good number of ownership groups barely manage to make ends meet, and only survive off of scamming their locales in one way or another. The Glendale deal is way beyond anything else ever attempted, to be sure, but small-time stuff like this goes on in most NHL markets to one degree or another. To paraphrase admiral, NHL ownership is the bottom of the barrel of the sports ownership world. Its ranks, and the ranks it's most likely to recruit from, are generally scam artists, hustlers, and downright thieves. That the Yakuza probably once owned a NHL franchise is pretty telling.

That being said, there are those NHL owners that are actually profitable. The power brokers among them are the Molsons (Montreal), MLSE (Toronto), James Dolan (NY Rangers), Mike Ilitch (Detroit), Comcast (Philadelphia), William Wirtz (Chicago), and Jeremy Jacobs (Boston). Any successful revolt against Bettman would require the support of a majority of this group, if not all of them.

While they have taken a bath on the Coyotes deal (even with the subsidies being forked over by Glendale) you have to keep in mind that these are very conservative people and groups. Not in a political sense, but in a business sense. They see that they're making money now (shortsightedness has always been a problem for NHL owners, even the legitimately successful ones), so they're content to keep things the way they are. Even if they have to pay for that maintenance of the status quo through collective ownership of the Coyotes.

So the very people who have the power to say "enough is enough" are also the people who can afford to pay to keep things the way they are.

Now all of that being said, this off-season will be rather interesting. The NHLPA and the owners go back to the bargaining table. If there's another work stoppage it'll be the third under Bettman's watch. The second in under ten years. After a record like that I don't know how they could justify keeping him on.