NHL Anti-Thread: Bad Business Decision Aggregator

The_Admiral

I lost my official Gary Bettman Scorecard, but I'm pretty sure Ilitch and Dolan aren't big ownership-solidarity guys, seeing as how they'd like to be unencumbered to outspend everyone and crush their opponents for the fun of it. I know Dolan in particular is on really crappy terms with the Count due to revenue sharing and a universal team website template (yeah, I don't get it either). As for that last part, when you think of all the losers who make more money by not fielding a team (Karmanos, whoever owns the Panthers, the NHL itself in Phoenix, et al), there might not be all that much backlash from ownership.

As for that last editorial, what an idiot.

The prospects of a 19,000-seat arena without an anchor tenant aren't encouraging.

The value-added is captured and given to the team primarily through a $15 million a year fee the city will pay for the team to manage the facility.

It's frontloaded so that it's more like $20 million to begin with

Bad writing. I hope it wasn't published with ink on paper.

Bettman sends Gary Jamison an Edible Arrangement shaped like Shane Doan as a thank-you

That's actually Shane Doan. UNCLE!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So Glendale (not to mention the NHL) believes from the bottom of their hearts, that having a team in Phoenix is more important than breathing, they gambled away tons of money, along with the jobs of many civil workers, to keep the team afloat...in Phoenix. It's a stupid idea, but you know I have to give them credit for trying to support a team.

And I like to thank the heroes at Goldwater for taking action this morning. GO GET 'EM BOYS! (AND GIRLS!)

the flight before it was from nyc to qc.

So every plane that flies to QC now has something to do with a return of the Nordiques?

I didn't get it at first, it was a bunch of flights on a schedule, but now it makes a lot of sense.

A conservative group opposed to Glendale's $300 million arena management deal with Phoenix Coyotes' suitor Greg Jamison is considering trying to take the issue to voters or could try to recall the four Glendale City Council members who approved the controversial agreement earlier this month.

Steve Voeller, president of the Arizona Free Enterprise Club, doesn't like Glendale's Coyotes deal and said his group is considering various options as a remedy, including a ballot push and council recall.

That could be on top of legal challenges to the Glendale arena deal brought by the Goldwater Institute.

http://www.bizjourna...-considers.html

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Has Glendale just thought about buying the damn team? That seems like it would be cheaper or almost the same cost as this boondoggle.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

The NHL doesn't allow municipalities to own teams because they might elect representatives who don't want to own a hockey team. In fact, elections are supposed to be coming up pretty soon. They've gotta get this done before the teabaggers come in.

A conservative group opposed to Glendale's $300 million arena management deal with Phoenix Coyotes' suitor Greg Jamison is considering trying to take the issue to voters or could try to recall the four Glendale City Council members who approved the controversial agreement earlier this month.

Steve Voeller, president of the Arizona Free Enterprise Club, doesn't like Glendale's Coyotes deal and said his group is considering various options as a remedy, including a ballot push and council recall.

That could be on top of legal challenges to the Glendale arena deal brought by the Goldwater Institute.

http://www.bizjourna...-considers.html

Little to see here. They could attempt to recall three of the four council members who vored for it, but Joyce Clark is up for re-election this year with her primary in August.

Secondly, as I said before, by the time this group wants to have a recall, there the state law regarding who a recall is conducted may change as there is a bill in the state legislature.

I wonder why Jamison, who said himself he's short on money, wouldn't cash out of the Sharks, of which he owns something like maybe 10% at most. Gotta figure that's at least $20 million right there, and if he's to be the managing partner of Taxpayer Shakedown LLC or whatever, he can't have that other ownership stake, anyway. Surely it couldn't be that he has no confidence in this plan and is hedging against its failure, because he said he Believes In The Market. Money, mouth?

I also wonder why if Greg Jamison is some sort of arena management wizard, who apparently can make a venue calendar fuller than a Thanksgiving stomach simply by saying "come here, for I am Greg Jamison!", he hasn't been doggedly pursued by a number of other teams who could use his sparkling business acumen after the Sharks' other owners pushed him out for fiddling around with MMA crap at the expense of hockey operations. And if all it takes to flesh out the Jobberdome's calendar from nothing but Coyotes games and high school graduations (yeah seriously) is Greg Jamison's Proven Success, what does he need $20 million a year for?

I also wonder why "fiddling around with MMA crap at the expense of hockey operations" makes someone the savior of a hockey team.

I wonder why Jamison, who said himself he's short on money, wouldn't cash out of the Sharks, of which he owns something like maybe 10% at most. Gotta figure that's at least $20 million right there, and if he's to be the managing partner of Taxpayer Shakedown LLC or whatever, he can't have that other ownership stake, anyway. Surely it couldn't be that he has no confidence in this plan and is hedging against its failure, because he said he Believes In The Market. Money, mouth?

bingo.

Those league-owned Devils rumors are bubbling up again.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.