MLS | D.C. United Rebrand – UPDATE: Revised DC star logo 8/11

Go Red Sox!

Hi again. This is my first soccer (or football) club rebrand attempt ever. I have chosen the capital's club, D.C. United, to get a major overhaul. Their current logo is mediocre at best, some would say it's a rather horrible and outdated look.

Gone is the black-and-red color scheme. I can already hear people moan, saying "Not another red, white and blue team in D.C.!" Well, that's plausible on the one hand. But on the other hand I think no other major U.S. city sports teams suit better wearing this very color combo than the ones from Washington. Moreover, I will never become a fan of black and red. Therefore I decided to replace black with a very dark midnight navy that almost looks black – especially during games under the lights, so traditionalists wouldn't go completely crazy.

DC%20United%20current%20logo_zps52m0fzb3

Current primary logo

DC%20United%20logo%20chart_zpsh8j2wgrv.p

Logo chart

DC%20United%20primary%20logo%20on%20whit

Primary logo on white background

DC%20United%20primary%20logo%20on%20red_

Primary logo on red background

DC%20United%20primary%20logo%20on%20navy

Primary logo on midnight navy background

DC%20United%20secondary%20logo_zpsibtn1i

Secondary "Pentagon" logo

DC%20United%20alternate%20logo%20A_zpsbk

Alternate logo

DC%20United%20alternate%20logo%20B_zpswf

Alternate logo

DC%20United%20partial%20logo_zpsjjuwnmnw

Partial logo on different backgrounds

DC%20United%20wordmark%20logos_zpsufuddz

Wordmark logos

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Very sharp. My only complaint is the secondary "DC" logo. It looks a little awkward the way the letters are spaced from the star. Maybe you could find a way to tighten that up. Otherwise, this is top notch work. Can't wait to see if you have anything else!

As a DCU fan, I dislike the Midnight Blue. Replace it with black and it looks very slick.

For some reason the red in the soccer ball bothers me, maybe if the red was reversed with the white, in the soccer ball, that it will look better.

I dislike the DC with the star in-between Alternate logo. Too much space between the D, C, and the star.

The Pentagon version is gold. I would love this as the main logo of the Screaming Eagles (one of the main supporter groups for DCU).

This is very creative and sharp. Are you posting kits, because this is a great set and kits would make it even better. Love the partial logo, I would hope to see it on branding.

Favorites: Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, New York Rangers, New York Knicks, Cam Newton ND Irish

Least Favorites: New York Giants, New York Mets, Washington Capitals, Pittsburgh Penguins, Philadelphia Eagles, OBJ

The primary logo is fantastic, and switching from black to blue is much more fitting for a team in DC. As for the secondary logos, I absolutely love the pentagon, but I'd do away with the rest since they don't really add anything to the set. Also since most soccer teams don't have secondary logos, and the ones that do are used rather sparingly. But overall, great work.

Really stupendous rebrand. It's a great update that pulls the great parts of their existing identity.

I know red, navy and white go well with a DC team, but it's hard for me to pull black away from DC United. Overall, though, fantastic.

Untitled-1_zpsjn8inbhy.png

I'm surprised no one has complained about using the "typical RWB" scheme...

Overall, this is perfect for D.C. and once again, one of the forum members has come up with a better identity than the actual existing identity.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. Much appreciated.

I really like this a lot. Would love to get some kits

Thanks, Bengals1fan. I probably will design home and away kits, but I'm not 100% sure yet. Don't know which template I should use.

Very sharp. My only complaint is the secondary "DC" logo. It looks a little awkward the way the letters are spaced from the star. Maybe you could find a way to tighten that up. Otherwise, this is top notch work. Can't wait to see if you have anything else!

Thanks, rsaline. I might downscale the soccer star in order to decrease the space between the letters.

Favorite thing is representing the Pentagon. Usually it's the Capitol Building and/or Washington Monument.

Primary shield looks like it drew some inspiration from the (new) US shield...but because it's in D.C., I kind of...really love that.

Thanks, Brave-Bird08. I decided to use the pentagon shape after reading an article on the internet about D.C. United supporting the Pentagon Soccer Club in various ways. The pentagon is also harmonizing with the shape of the eagle, so it's not looking forced. The new US soccer crest was no inspiration for me in this case. A year ago I redesigned the AHL Rochester Americans and I sort of revitalized at least parts of that concept.

The alternate logo with just the eagle looks like it belongs on a hat for a minor league baseball team (obviously the soccer ball replaced by a baseball), but maybe that's just me... Overall a great concept!

Thank you, DNAsports. I have to disagree on the MiLB aspect. Logos for MiLB teams are rather playful, comic-like and generally more detailed – specially since Brandiose has been rebranding teams during the last few years. My design is almost businesslike, simplified and particularly is intentionally missing the fun aspect which is so important when rebranding MiLB identities. When you look at the updated, redesigned logos from Brandiose (e.g. Pawtucket Red Sox, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, Richmond Flying Squirrels or El Paso Chihuahuas) you can see a huge difference between this D.C. United design and the ones that's desired in the Minor League. It's a totally different approach with different results.

The primary logo is fantastic, and switching from black to blue is much more fitting for a team in DC. As for the secondary logos, I absolutely love the pentagon, but I'd do away with the rest since they don't really add anything to the set. Also since most soccer teams don't have secondary logos, and the ones that do are used rather sparingly. But overall, great work.

Thanks, sportstar1212. The lack of secondary and alternate logos in MLS is definitely present. I just wanted to break the "rules".

Partial Logo http://s1370.photobucket.com/user/BostonRedSoxGo/media/DC%20United%20partial%20logo_zpsjjuwnmnw.png.html

making the outline all white for all three background colors would improve this a lot

The partial logo has outlines because I didn't like how it looks on a white background without one. I tend to look at the primary mark and try to design the rest of the logo package likewise. The eagle has a thick white outline in the primary logo. The same eagle as a partial logo without an outline looks strange to me when on the contrary the bird has outlines – white outlines as you suggested – on differently colored backgrounds. That's the reason why I chose to give it an outline no matter what background color there is.

very nice: only question is, what website did you use to upload your pictures?

Thanks, flyersfan. I use Photobucket.com. It's very recommendable. After you have created your own account there and uploaded your images to it, you just click on the respective image in the library section of Photobucket that you want to show us here and then click on "DIRECT" (underneath "SHARE LINKS" at the right top part of your screen). It will copy the much-needed link to your image, so everybody here can take a look at it. All you have to do then is pasting this link into your topic/comment section here on this site. Just click on the "Image" button (almost directly underneath the "Smiley" button. The rest is self-explaining.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Archived