Sports TV/Radio Theme Songs

Waffles

Didn't do CBS yet. I feel like I like all their NFL themes from the time they got the AFC rights onward, but given the 98-2002 theme's already posted let's go with Thursday Night Football. I'd go as far as saying they should use this for the Playoffs instead of Posthumus Zone.

And, at the risk of being hit with debris thrown by every golf traditionalist ever, when I think The Masters these days I think this playing over during the highlights (and the in-game promos during the NCAA Tournament I guess too)

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Gathering Crowds" is the best baseball-on-TV song ever and should have become an institution that gets re-recorded and re-arranged over the years:

It sounds exciting and lively while still feeling kind of relaxed and pastoral -- hey, like baseball. It's not EXPLOSIONS AND FOOTBALL or any of that. Should have been the music for NBC's Game of the Week and so forth.

Late on this, but I'm 1000% sure that this song was used in old NFL Films clips. Its a really good theme. Ill try to find a clip.

Edit: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCajk2GYfE

• 1 month later...

Over the past year or so, a massive amount of hard-to-find NFL Films & ESPN Primetime tracks have found their way onto YouTube. Of the many hidden gems, I've thrown my personal faves onto a playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWkpOrkNeCZeV0C8tk4I605nwzY6N71wr). Definitely worth a check if you were an NFL Films geek, like myself.

Here's a couple you may recognize:

6uXNWAo.png

• 2 months later...

Listening to the CBS College Basketball theme got my blood pumping, so I figured I'd re-hash this well-tread topic to get your thoughts.

I think overall the best two are easily the NBA on NBC and NFL on Fox, but NBA on TNT isn't too bad and obviously the aforementioned CBS theme is a classic.  Illuminate me on some of your favorites and maybe ones that I haven't heard of before.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The old MLB on FOX is pretty bitchin' too, if you're willing to ignore the NFL theme guitar riff they put in at the end.  Fox has done themselves a total disservice by adopting the NFL theme as their overall FOX SPORTS music.  Horrific idea.

NHL on NBC I want to nominate, but it's really not all that great.  Kind of simple in it's buildup, and obviously that's supposed to have the awesome lead-in with Doc Emrick over it, but as it stands alone it's only so-so.

The Monday Night football theme is classic, but I think as MNF has waned dramatically in recent years as a major afterthought, the theme has lost dignity with it.

The old NFL on ESPN's theme is actually not terrible (they may still use it, I don't know) but I will say one of my favorite NFL bits of music is the NFL Primetime highlight theme that Berman shouts over.  Fantastic piece.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

The gold standard -- 

ABC Wide World of Sports

. . . and a version with no video, but less talking at the end --

ABC Wide World of Sports II

If anyone knows how to embed the videos, feel free.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived