Help me fix my beloved Clippers...

uuh70

I guess this is a good example of never knowing what you have until it's gone. I've really never seen this much praise for the Clippers' previous look until the current one debuted. I'm not the biggest fan of the primary wordmark, but I do like the alternate. I also would swap the location of the logo and jersey number and go more baseball style, with number on the left and logo on the right. I'd also perhaps bring back the old block font from previous seasons.

Seriously, I really don't think what they have right now is all that bad, and I actually like that the Clippers have a "memorable" (let's leave it at that) look now, instead of before, which I always felt was a cheap Lakers knockoff in different colors. I think what they have is some tweaks away from actually looking quite decent.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the Clippers' old look was good by any means. The modern template and number font contrasted with the classically-styled script. Which clashed with the wordmark on the primary.

I think what you're seeing is a re-brand that was so poorly executed from conception to design to implementation that to many people the Lakers rip-off look is preferable. I know that's the case with me. I actually want the old logo back. And I never thought I'd be saying that after a Clippers re-brand.

They didn't have any alternatives in a salary cap environment.

When it comes to the visual identity I'm afraid that the new management rushed things in order to get rid of Sterling era logo in case they win something this year (I don't think they will but CP3 is not getting younger so it's literally now or never).

They were over the cap anyway so there was no other alternative.

Fortunately, a wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money. Unlike the previous nutjob.

willing to spend a lot of money, yeah on a center who can only block and dunk, and is worse at free throws then shaq and my grammar

Regarding the previous logo, I was indifferent to the Lakers copied ball logo. The logo I prefered was this

1hrqvo4oaipg1j7eboaxh4bgu.png

I would have loved a logo that included that "LAC"

I actually like the red away uniform and in fact would be head over heels for it if they had used that LAC or made a new cursive one to match the script. This new square LAC is amateurish.

My disdain is more so with the script and font chosen, you cannot tell me that this

1831_los_angeles_clippers-wordmark-2016.

is better than this

2134_los_angeles_clippers-jersey-2011.pn

especially from a forum that critques any infusion of BFBS....To which this epitomizes. Now we are all entitled to our opinions, not trying to bash any fellow CCSLC member but if anyone says the new home uniforms are better than what they wore November 3, 2014 than we will have to agree to disagree

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

Fortunately, a wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money. Unlike the previous nutjob.

Except the current wealthy nutjob willing to spend a lot of money ok'd one of the cheapest re-brands we've seen out of a team in the Big Four in some time.

Perhaps. But my point still stands.

Yes and no. Ballmer is willing to spend to make the Clippers competitive. No question. This isn't a thread about their on-court product. It's about their brand. Their aesthetic identity. And Ballmer screwed up on that. Big time.

In fairness, a lot of the blame goes to Gillian Zucker, the President of Business Operations, for completely bungling the rebranding process:

http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

That story sounds crazy enough to be true. Seems odd that Balmer couldn't veto that if everyone hated it but her.

My beef with the rebrand is that their were better options drawn up. Even on short notice it didn't have to be that bad apparently.

Yes and no. Ballmer is willing to spend to make the Clippers competitive. No question. This isn't a thread about their on-court product. It's about their brand. Their aesthetic identity. And Ballmer screwed up on that. Big time.

In fairness, a lot of the blame goes to Gillian Zucker, the President of Business Operations, for completely bungling the rebranding process:

http://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story

That's a great story, I only wish it could have been covered by somebody who can write. Holy :censored: that guy's bad.

I personally think I may have solved the issue:

http://issuu.com/ianbakar/docs/laclippers_brandproposal?e=1212987/12542729

http://www.ianbakar.com/rebranding-the-los-angeles-clippers/

But you're bigger problem at this moment seems to be Steph Curry. I can't help you there. ?✌️

It's worse than the Thunder Logo, the 'grantland' rankings are mistaken.

How could such a reputable outlet like Grantland make such a big mistake? It's not like Grantland is going anywhere anytime soon...

I have to agree that the previous LAC word mark would've worked on their current road reds a lot better.

I liked their previous set. Still do. Even the ones prior to Blake being drafted were solid, though I can't unsee the filled-in C in "Clippers." It really did look like an iron-on patch.

I personally think I may have solved the issue:

http://issuu.com/ianbakar/docs/laclippers_brandproposal?e=1212987/12542729

http://www.ianbakar.com/rebranding-the-los-angeles-clippers/

But you're bigger problem at this moment seems to be Steph Curry. I can't help you there. ✌️

Nice presentation but, aside from the colors, I'm not a fan of the design. Too cluttered? Maybe refining a bit, simplifying, stylizing and removing an item here and there could work. Better than what they have now for sure though.

Archived