infrared41's Best and Worst - NFL Week 12

infrared41

Week 12 had some really good uniform match ups and some not so good uniform match ups. There was some serious competition for the top spot on the best list. It was a tough call. Only a couple train wrecks this week and the teams involved are great examples of how a couple missteps can be the difference between a great look and a not so great look.

Finally, courtesy of mbannon92, we're adding a new term to the mix this week. "PYPs" which stands for piping, yokes, and panels. Going forward, I will refer to uniforms like Denver, Arizona, Cincinnati, etc. as "PYPs" in place of modern and ugly. So let's give the wheel a spin and play our game. As always, these lists are simply my opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Best:

1. Raiders - Titans: I really went back and forth on this one. It was a tough call, but with both games being played in the rain, I think this game looked better than the #2 game. Play both games in sunshine and it might have been a different story. In my opinion, the Raiders have the best road uniforms in the NFL. When the Titans go with Navy over white, it's one of my favorite looks. The only thing I'd change on this Titans uniform would be the PYPs era helmet stripes.

Titans.jpg

2. Bills - Chiefs: I know, I can't believe I ranked this behind Raiders - Titans myself, but I did. That said, what a great looking game this was. I'm not a big fan of dark colored pants but it works with the Bills (and the Chiefs) uniforms. Normally, I'd say this game would have looked better if the Bills had worn all white, but in the rain, I don't think all white would have looked as good. Great match up of traditional and modern. Great helmet match up too. Feel free to let me have it for putting this game at #2. B)

Bills.jpg

3. N.Y. Giants - Washington: It's no secret that I prefer traditional uniforms and this game is about as traditional as it gets. Great color match up, great helmet match up, great everything. Yes, I know that there are some stripe issues with Washington but it's still a great look. The Giants road uniform is in my top five. Another game that could have taken the top spot.

Giants%201.jpg

4. Bears - Packers: You know it's a tough week when this match up is sitting in the #4 spot on the best list. With this game being played on Thanksgiving, I was hoping that just maybe the Bears would give a nod to tradition or something and go all white. They didn't, but they really should have. The dark pants really throw off the color balance in this match up. An all white look for the Bears would be a perfect match for the Packers home uniforms. Oh well, still a great looking game.

Packers.jpg

5. Eagles - Lions: It almost seems silly to throw this game in with the others on this list. But it was a perfectly decent looking match up of two perfectly decent looking uniforms and I liked it well enough to include it. Nice match up of two fairly modern looks.

Lions%20.jpg

Thanks for ruining a good match up:

This weeks's winners - the Houston Texans. This game could have looked great if Houston had gone with white pants, but the Texans are winning wearing that horrific monochrome blue. We may as well get used to it.

Texans.jpg

Worst:

1. Cardinals - 49ers: PYPs vs. whatever that thing is the 49ers are wearing. The Cardinals are so close to having a great look. They just need to replace the PYPs pants stripe with a normal pants stripe and dump the silly side panels and piping on the jersey. I like the shoulder yoke on the road jerseys and the helmet is great. So close yet so far away.

Cards.jpg

2. Ravens - Browns: Speaking of so close yet so far away - welcome back to the lists, Brownies! What's needed to fix the Browns uniforms is well documented. The Ravens just need to throw way those black pants. This game could have looked really good.

Browns.jpg

That's it for this week. Thanks for dropping by.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm one of the (few?) people that think the Titans look good in pretty much every combo, but as a matchup, I think they wore too much navy to stand out from the Raiders. The whole thing was too drab to be #1. I was prepared to go with you, until I saw the picture.

I'm just glad the Bears actually wore their regular uniforms against the Packers and not those stupid throwbacks.

They don't have a road version of that uniform, so there were no worries of that happening.

It's where I sit.

4. Bears - Packers: You know it's a tough week when this match up is sitting in the #4 spot on the best list. With this game being played on Thanksgiving, I was hoping that just maybe the Bears would give a nod to tradition or something and go all white. They didn't, but they really should have.

I miss the Bears wearing white-on-white so much. To me it's the infinitely superior version of their road uniform.

brian_urlacher_2001_10_21.jpg

bears_GB120901.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

4. Bears - Packers: You know it's a tough week when this match up is sitting in the #4 spot on the best list. With this game being played on Thanksgiving, I was hoping that just maybe the Bears would give a nod to tradition or something and go all white. They didn't, but they really should have.

I miss the Bears wearing white-on-white so much. To me it's the infinitely superior version of their road uniform.

brian_urlacher_2001_10_21.jpg

bears_GB120901.jpg

I want to like this, but the details wreck it for me. I never like it when the top of the sock is the same color as the pants. Everyone (on this board, anyway) complains about it when it's dark on dark (leotard) but to me it's just as bothersome with the white on white look. Plus, this creates a mismatch of stripes between jersey/socks and pants, which isn't always a problem, but does bug me here. I'd probably prefer it if they work their normal home socks with this (that's what they did in the 70's) but then you'd have a three way stripe mismatch. Because of all this, I'd rather they just stick with the dark pants on the road.

Chiefs-Bills was amazing.

Most definitely one of the best looking games this whole season. I'm still wondering how the Titans could possibly top it...

Not much to wonder about really. There isn't a formula that determines which game takes the #1 spot. It's the game I like the best and this week, I liked Raiders - Titans best. Simple as that. It's just my opinion. No one got screwed or anything.

BB52Big.jpg

Chiefs-Bills was amazing.

Most definitely one of the best looking games this whole season. I'm still wondering how the Titans could possibly top it...

Not much to wonder about really. There isn't a formula that determines which game takes the #1 spot. It's the game I like the best and this week, I liked Raiders - Titans best. Simple as that. It's just my opinion. No one got screwed or anything.

Are you starting to feel like the College Football Playoff Committee? :D

Archived