North American Pro Soccer 2016

Gothamite

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I didn't mean that was or should be the sale price. Try a tenth of that. 

The current owners have lost between 30 and 50 million dollars in the past four years.  That's what I was referring to, and I hope those same owners don't hold up the sale in the hopes of recouping some of those losses. 

2 hours ago, Nyk33 said:

3. Just fold and prevent the original Cosmos's legacy from being further tarnished.

Too late.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

On 12/03/2016 at 7:57 AM, Norva said:

The new Orlando stadium coming along:

15252494_1298777193513899_89754937617343

Still a year late.

The NCAA College Cups were to be held there for 2016 and 2017.

http://m.ucfknights.com/news/2013/12/11/College_Cup_Coming_to_Orlando.aspx

Luckily for Orlando, North Carolina's HB2 allowed them to get the ACC football championship game this weekend.

3 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Sorry, I didn't mean that was or should be the sale price. Try a tenth of that. 

The current owners have lost between 30 and 50 million dollars in the past four years.  That's what I was referring to, and I hope those same owners don't hold up the sale in the hopes of recouping some of those losses. 

Apparently there are talks between the Cosmos and a "NY group" about buying the team but things don't look good.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

In retrospect, it's clear there have been problems with the Cosmos for some time.  

When Raul was signed, they announced he was going to head up their academy after retiring.  Not only did Raul take another job when he hung up his boots, but he decided to put his son in NYCFC's academy instead. 

On 12/3/2016 at 5:34 PM, Nyk33 said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/12/02/railhawks-to-change-name-pursue-major-league.html

I'll be following this news closely on Tuesday. Railhawks are announcing a name change and intent to pursue a jump to MLS. They'd need a larger stadium, too. 

It'll be intetesting to see how this plays out, but it doesn't bode well for NASL.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

17 minutes ago, winters in buffalo said:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2016/12/02/railhawks-to-change-name-pursue-major-league.html

I'll be following this news closely on Tuesday. Railhawks are announcing a name change and intent to pursue a jump to MLS. They'd need a larger stadium, too. 

It'll be intetesting to see how this plays out, but it doesn't bode well for NASL.

Yet the writer didn't know/mention Atlanta will enter MLS next season.

Fail

Yeah, sheesh. 

MLS currently has 20 teams, but little presence in the Southeast. The sport has franchises in Washington, Dallas and Orlando, Florida, thus leaving a wide swath of the country a great distance from the sport.

I mean, even a Google search or half-hearted glance at Wikipedia would have avoided that stupid blunder.  It's not like Arthur Blank's been keeping his team a secret. 

20 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

$30 million for a team with no stadium is too much, no matter the name.

Yep, at this point all the Cosmos have is a name. And the current team hasn't done that legacy any favors as they've dragged it through the mud while tilting at MLS windmills.

On 12/3/2016 at 8:14 PM, Gothamite said:

Most of the NASL clubs would be able to switch to the new D2 USL, but there are a couple notable exceptions.  Puerto Rico FC is doubtful, as there have been bad experiences with Carribean clubs. 

The other one is the Cosmos.  Seems their owners haven't demonstrated either the financial responsibility or the willingness to work together that the USL wants.   Would be very interesting if the Cosmos end up on the outside without a league to play in. 

Well Rayo OKC is also out as they've already stated they're on hiatus and have let their entire organization go. Fort Lauderdale is on life support and facing legal troubles. As you mention the Cosmos are all but dead. And both Edmonton and PR FC have the issues related to their distant locations in a low cost league that have been hurting them up to now. But other than all of them and the teams already gone to MLS and USL... sure the rest of NASL might be interesting for USL to pick up.

Which is of course why USL rejected merger talks. They've little interest in most of what NASL has left unless it's on their terms.

Looks like four NASL teams are not negotiating with USL for entry into that league.

NY and OKC are reportedly already shuttered so no surprise there. Ft Lauderdale is in a financial hole and facing legal trouble so also not surprising. And Edmonton was the odd man out due to its location and the potential to join a lower level Canadian league. The rest of then league, Puerto Rico, Carolina, Miami, Indy, San Francisco, Jacksonville are talking with USL about jumping ship following Ottawa and Tampa which have already made the jump.

I think I've asked this before, but couldn't you do pro/rel with a greatly expanded USL?

34 teams (+4?) is too big for one league. Cut it in half, and you could do a round robin league with three up/three down among a USL 1 and USL 2. No idea how you choose the first top group, but couldn't it be fun?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

43 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I think I've asked this before, but couldn't you do pro/rel with a greatly expanded USL?

34 teams (+4?) is too big for one league. Cut it in half, and you could do a round robin league with three up/three down among a USL 1 and USL 2. No idea how you choose the first top group, but couldn't it be fun?

No for the same reason they may divide USL into a D2 and D3 league now that NASL is dead, finances. Some USL teams are at the D3 level because they can't financially sustain being at the D2 level. They wouldn't want to be promoted. And same goes for the teams that want to be D2, they want the financial benefits that come with being the defacto AAA level. Committing to that would then necessitate staying at that level, and it would be financially ruinous to be demoted (basically as it is in most cases in Europe, but they don't seem to care over there).

Archived