Not-yet-retired numbers that should/will be

tigerslionspistonshabs

On February 24, 2016 at 0:20 PM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Ringing in on the Mets again: they should formalise the retiring of no. 24 in honour of Willie Mays.  I realise that Mays played only two unproductive seasons for the Mets.  But, even though I am the first one to defend strict franchise continuity, I still say that it would be appropriate for the Mets to recognise Mays's importance to New York baseball history on account of his time with the New York Giants.  

Just as the Milwaukee Brewers have appropriately retired Hank Aaron's no. 44 for his overall importance to baseball in their city, the Mets should do likewise for Mays.

This makes sense because the Mets actually retired #42 for Jackie Robinson before the rest of the league in honor of his contribution to baseball but especially for the NY national league team.  So there is a history of the mets honoring NY baseball as a whole.   the mets sort of consider themselves the reinvention of the Dodgers being not too too far from ebbets field in queens.  Most Brooklynites are now mets fans.   You can tell in the design of citifield how much influence they have from the Dodgers-- in fact Had the Dodgers stayed in Brooklyn they would have moved to flushing meadows - (well that sentence didn't make any sense haha) .  Anywho I can see the mets honoring the New York baseball giants history a little bit and Willie Mays in that same way-- although the polo grounds are no where near flushing-- it was actually right across the river from yankee stadium - just a walk across the bridge and u were there. 

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The same Al Horford that only made one conference finals (and was swept and wasn't even the best player on the team), won more than 50 games twice in nine years, and averages 14/9 for his career? 

Considering how awful the team was before he showed up, one conference finals appearance isn't too shabby. They've made the playoffs every year since he came to Atlanta as well, by no means a small feat, even in the East. Also, who do you think was better? Millsap? I don't totally disagree with you (terribly underrated player), but I do feel that Horford is the locker room leader on the team and the franchise player. Overall, I think Horford's deserving of getting his number retired. 

The Brewers will probably retire Ryan Braun's #8 when his career is all said and done. Since Molitor and Yount he will be one of the longest tenured players in franchise history. 

The Bucks should definitely retire #13 and in my heart #34. Hopefully the latter can be a 2 Fer for both Ray and Giannis. 

packchampionslfroh.png

Atlanta's standards are definitely on the low end of scale. No titles in town, no NBA finals, and one conference final that they got destroyed in- so it's guys that are consistent (He is a 4x all star) and locker room leaders/community guys that get the recognition. He also helped bring the Hawks out of a decade of dismal basketball into a perennial contender. 

Would he be retired if he played on the Lakers, Bulls, Pistons, Celtics or Spurs without a title? No.  

sig.png

a lot of the players mentioned in this thread should not have their numbers retired. However in todays sports world, franchises retire players numbers just to sell tickets and merchandise to promote it.

bleedblue-1.png

Bleeding Blue since 1986

20 hours ago, Cujo said:

Absolutely: Quick. Brown.

Probably: Kopitar. Doughty.

Mayyybe: Nicholls

Would be cool but never gonna happen: McSorley

Gretzky's number was retired in 2000 league wide, and for all the people who whine and cry about Bobby Orr being better... the Hall of Fame didn't think so. Gretz went in right away, did not have to wait. Plus if you look at what Gretzky did, he didn't even have to score a goal to be the all time leader. This is not downplaying the awesomeness of Orr, this is just stating the fact that Gretzky was a level that we'll never see again.

As far as numbers that the LA Kings will retire, absolutely 100% you will see Quick #32, Kopi #11, and Drew - #8 in the rafters. Probably Brown - #23. Outside shot if he produces at the current rate a few more years and they win a few more Cups, Carter and the #77. Nichols, very doubtful he will get his number retired. If they haven't retired it by now, they won't. If they haven't retired Butch Goring's number, no way do they retire Nichols. The Kings are actually one of those teams that are very selective as far as retiring jerseys. If you look at the numbers retired, Gretzky, Robitaille, Taylor, Dionne, Vachon, Blake all made huge impacts and were the face of the team. Nichols is a step below. Great player, just not in the retire the number category.

11 hours ago, OaklandIsBack said:

The fact that their numbers are "pretty much the same" with a 10 year gap should tell you they're not comparable players at all

2010-15

Duncan: 15.1 ppg, 9.3 rpg, .499 fg%, 2 bpg, 29 mpg

Horford: 15.7 ppg, 8.4 rpg, .552 fg%, 1.2 bpg, 33.5 mpg

Tim is obviously a HOFer and one of the top 20 players ever, maybe top 10, maybe top 7

no one is saying Horford is

all im saying is, hes their tim duncan. Their rock. There's no doubt duncan is a still a great player and has been since his days as a true #1 option, mvp candidate dwindled years back. Hes a different player now than he was then. Thats where horford comes in

i never said horford was as good as prime duncan

but for the hawks, yeah hes a hawks legend

On 2/24/2016 at 1:12 PM, C-Squared said:

What's interesting to me is the potential impact retiring numbers could have on the future... in my eyes, the number 12 is the quintessential quarterback number, but it is already retired by the Bills, Jets, 49ers, Seahawks, & Dolphins, with the Patriots and Packers waiting in the wings... some numbers could end up becoming vintage/nostalgic simply by being weeded out via retirements.

And the Steelers don't issue it anymore.

78i78o78.png

banner.pngvirginia-tech-state-silhouette-decal-9.png10574358_10153800658784905_4912776899242569995_n.jpg

Archived