The Sports Media Thread

3 hours ago, McCarthy said:

A hockey podcast that isn't poisoned by Dave Lozo, who for some reason, is a co-host on every single hockey podcast. I'll have to give it a shot. 

Thankfully, he's not any now. Lozo left Greg Wyshynski on Puck Soup and left Down Goes Brown on Biscuits. And now, Down Goes Brown (and Yahoo's Ryan Lambert) have joined Greg Wyshynski on Puck Soup. Lozo now is just a writer for Katie Nolan's ESPN+ show. (And onto the specific point, Puck Soup is entering a sort of cross-branding agreement with the Athletic.)

I listen to Puck Soup and Wyshynski's ESPN hockey podcast (ESPN on Ice) with Emily Kaplan, which I enjoy both. I also have the Puck Podcast in my feed, but it can be a bit of a bear with its length (nearly 3 hours some weeks) and its almost purely informational aspect.

I keep getting closer and closer to finally taking the plunge with an Athletic subscription as they continue to just gobble up and produce mounds of good content. (For example: read Rich Hammond's story at the Athletic LA on the Taylor Swift banner at Staples Center. It's pretty damn good.)

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

ESPN gets more Big XII programming for ESPN+ in addition to three years of the Big XII football title game.

Hundreds of events from all sports will be offered on ESPN+ under a Big 12 brand. Eight of the 10 schools will provide more than 50 exclusive events per year, including at least one football game, any spring football game and any basketball game that is not on an ESPN linear network. Texas, which has Longhorn Network, and Oklahoma, which has its own local rights deal, will not provide content to ESPN+. However, both schools will be featured on the streaming service when they are an away team and during conference championships outside of football and basketball.

In the new deal, which includes three championship games and ESPN+ rights, ESPN will pay a total of around $40M. When this agreement is added to the current media-rights deal that still has six years to run, the conference will average $22M per year, sources said. A formal announcement is expected later today.

Starting in '19, Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State and Oklahoma State will provide games for ESPN+. The following year, Iowa State, TCU, West Virginia and Texas Tech will participate.

17 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Thankfully, he's not any now. Lozo left Greg Wyshynski on Puck Soup and left Down Goes Brown on Biscuits. And now, Down Goes Brown (and Yahoo's Ryan Lambert) have joined Greg Wyshynski on Puck Soup. Lozo now is just a writer for Katie Nolan's ESPN+ show. (And onto the specific point, Puck Soup is entering a sort of cross-branding agreement with the Athletic.)

I listen to Puck Soup and Wyshynski's ESPN hockey podcast (ESPN on Ice) with Emily Kaplan, which I enjoy both. I also have the Puck Podcast in my feed, but it can be a bit of a bear with its length (nearly 3 hours some weeks) and its almost purely informational aspect.

I keep getting closer and closer to finally taking the plunge with an Athletic subscription as they continue to just gobble up and produce mounds of good content. (For example: read Rich Hammond's story at the Athletic LA on the Taylor Swift banner at Staples Center. It's pretty damn good.)

I've decided this confirms what I've always suspected about Dave Lozo - he doesn't actually like hockey. I can't say Ryan Lambert is any better, though. I just want Marek vs. Wyshinski back. 31 Thoughts, the Marek and Elliot Friedman podcast is good, but I don't like it as much as Marek and Wyshinski. 

I tried, but The Puck Podcast didn't do it for me. Two randos in LA talking about their cats and then going through the week's games team-by-team for 3 hours? No thanks. 

I have had a sub to The Athletic for a while now since all the good Columbus Dispatch writers went there, plus Rosecrans on the Cincinnati Reds and it's been worth it. I read it every day. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

Wyshynski is also an insufferable hack. I saw that he published a book a while ago in the same vein as Pat Kirwan's (very good) book about watching football, but from the digital library source I had access to, only a limited sample was available to read from. So I figure I'll see what is in the limited sample, and it's an endless barrage of "witty" jokes and nonsense and, I mean, if you're going to write a book that's supposed to help discuss actual hockey strategy, then give me a book about :censored: ing hockey strategy. I could screenshot any two random pages from that book here and I bet each page contained at least two jokes per.

I haven't read DGB's recent book, but at least the premise of that book allows for a more jokey style. Besides, McIndoe does humour better anyway. Wysh and his brand of writing and "analysis" can go to hell. 

spacer.png

11 hours ago, McCarthy said:

I've decided this confirms what I've always suspected about Dave Lozo - he doesn't actually like hockey. I can't say Ryan Lambert is any better, though.

They're both NBA Twitter wannabes who can't stop lamenting that they grew up backing the wrong horse and got left out of the in-crowd. They probably can't even go to brunch without asking why their bacon-avocado strata isn't more like the NBA.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Nebraska Danger of the IFL have a great announcer!

While I was waiting for the debut of the New York Streets of the NAL on YouTube, I happened across the IFL game between the Nebraska Danger and the Green Bay Blizzard. The game used Green Bay's television feed with the sound from Nebraska's radio call.

And I discovered that the announcer on this radio call, Steve Stein of KRGI, is absolutely wonderful! He employs cadences and varying pitches in his voice so beautifully. Listening to him is a great pleasure, like hearing a virtuoso musician.

I cannot say enough about his guy, who is clearly a phenomenal pro. Whatever KGRI is paying Stein, it is not enough.  The job he does on this game is top-notch, worthy of the major leagues in any sport. (I will assume that he can call the other sports. With the command of his voice that he possesses, he surely could call baseball.)

I will definitely make an effort to catch more of Steve Stein's calls in the future.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

On 4/11/2019 at 10:07 AM, McCarthy said:

I've decided this confirms what I've always suspected about Dave Lozo - he doesn't actually like hockey.

I've long thought the same. Maybe he likes hockey, but he definitely doesn't like the NHL. He also said he's played at a "very high level" of hockey, which I highly doubt.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

23 hours ago, The Six said:

spacer.png

Why must I look at this every time I go to Deadspin.

I’ve never clicked on a deadspin video but once these thumbnails started popping up I learned that their office is basically the men’s room line at a National concert.

18 minutes ago, Digby said:

I’ve never clicked on a deadspin video but once these thumbnails started popping up I learned that their office is basically the men’s room line at a National concert.

Image result for deadspin washington post

They blogged the dull and wicked ordinary way

SportsTime Ohio, Fox Sports Oklahoma, Fox Sports New Orleans, and Fox Sports Kansas City all kind of remind us that there are regional sports networks and then there are regional sports networks.

On 5/6/2019 at 8:57 AM, dfwabel said:

Sinclair press release on buying 21 RSNs from Disney

The small, but notable part is that former comic, and "Real People" correspondent turned syndicated entertainment mogul, Byron Allen is part of the new subsidiary as an investor.

Allen's been on a bit of a spending spree in recent years, including buying NBCUniversal's share of The Weather Channel, and he's also buying three small-market TV stations in Indiana and Louisiana.  

• Like 1

Who among us is a regular caller on any sports talk shows? I'm a truck driver with XM Radio, and I'm not a regular caller on any sports talk show, but l listen to Mad Dog Radio regularly. Anyone want to fess up to being a regular caller?

The NFL Network is being forced to cut $20 million out of its projected budget and, in the process, already has eliminated at least five shows, including one that featured Deion Sanders, The Post has learned.

The less-than-hoped-for budget has made negotiations with on-air personnel tense, and there is a feeling some will either not be retained or be forced to take pay cuts, according to sources.

NFL Network is definitively cutting five programs. Sanders’ “21 & Prime,” “Power Rankings,” “Pick ‘em,” “Playbook” and “Mic’d Up” are off the air. The future of the weekend edition of “Good Morning Football” is in question.

In response, the NFL Network said it was actually upping its investment, but it was shifting where the spending is taking place with the NFL 100 celebration.

https://nypost.com/2019/05/08/nfl-network-shows-slashed-tensions-rise-after-20m-cuts/