The Sports Media Thread

4 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Two things. First of all, calm down, Deadspin. This article is more self-indulgent than the article it's about. But Second of all, I don't care about the hot dog or Wilder's puff piece about the hot dog, and I don't care about Deadspin trashing Charlotte Wilder because I actually kind of agree with them when it comes to her - I must admit I find her sweaty and not a particularly deft writer and can't believe she landed a job with SI. Her article about the Patriots Super Bowl win read like a 2 am last minute paper for a freshman writing class. I don't understand her appeal, but Deadspin is far too cynical and nobody should spend too much time there, and they are being ultra grouchy here. 

It took me a second for the light to go on, but it did. Where did I remember Charlotte Wilder's name from? Oh, she's friends with PFT Commenter and Dan Katz and had them on whatever show it is she does, which made Deadspin's Laura Wagner say that she is a traitor and disappointment to all women who work in sports:

Which means that this whole article is nothing but an excuse for yet another chapter of America's favorite nerd fight, Deadspin v. Barstool.

You may think it was the really mega-popular prom court kids who in adulthood never got over high school social dynamics. You'd be wrong: it's all the high-achieving NHS/application-padders in the next tier down who are obsessed with defining who's in and who's out and keep on doing it all their lives, and where do those kids end up?

$

At this big long helldesk, apparently! 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

https://deadspin.com/the-one-ingredient-missing-from-this-disgusting-hot-dog-1833438926

Two things. First of all, calm down, Deadspin. This article is more self-indulgent than the article it's about. But Second of all, I don't care about the hot dog or Wilder's puff piece about the hot dog, and I don't care about Deadspin trashing Charlotte Wilder because I actually kind of agree with them when it comes to her - I must admit I find her sweaty and not a particularly deft writer and can't believe she landed a job with SI. Her article about the Patriots Super Bowl win read like a 2 am last minute paper for a freshman writing class. I don't understand her appeal, but Deadspin is far too cynical and nobody should spend too much time there, and they are being ultra grouchy here. 

I'm mostly posting this because it reminded me of something I noticed a while ago and it's growing and I hate it - It's this brand of online writing and podcasting where in substitution of having an actual personality, the entire schtick, the joke, is that you treat very trivial matters as if they're very important, like the breadth of how much you love a stupid thing is the joke. "I LOVE bad action movies, I wept during the latest Fast and the Furious movie, I waited in line for 3 days for John Wick 2 isnt that hilarious????" No. Don't misunderstand, it's not "never talk about trivial things" it's more like please stop acting like it's so WACKY that you went to Arizona to write about a hot dog and if you are gonna do that please write some jokes into the article. This is essentially The Ringer's entire bit.

In conclusion, calm down, Deadspin, you're not in a position to have a moral high ground, but also let's find some new angles besides "isn't it so funny how much we like this very dumb thing?".

Solution is to copy paste the link and put into an archive site like archive.is, archive.li or archive.fo, etc. Denies them clicks (and thus revenue) and freezes the article in that time in case they feel the need to gaslight their audience-I mean, edit the story later on.

• Like 1

I think they have a point on this one. It's gross for SI to get in bed with a team like this; at least there's not really a real serious sports conflict or whatever over a dumb hot dog, but it's still so exceptionally stupid as to hold the audience in contempt. And I don't want to make it personal with Charlotte Wilder (she wrote some good things for SB Nation back in the day) but it does feel like SI is just forcing it in an attempt to have their own Katie Nolan.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 3/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, DG_Now said:

So you get $5 off and no 4K option. Is the UFC community okay with this? You're paying $60/year just for access to buy more $60 PPVs (intro price notwithstanding).

I think ESPN+ is a great deal and I have no interest in the UFC content at all. Interesting to see ESPN branch out the platform for more uses like this. It's too bad they couldn't get Champions League rights; I don't think I would have paid over the top for access to those games, but it would have been nice for a non-Bleacher Report option.

With the entirety of the FA Cup so far not on regular TV, I'm glad they didn't get it. They'd have the same setup as Bleacher Report/TNT and charge even more. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

With the entirety of the FA Cup so far not on regular TV, I'm glad they didn't get it. They'd have the same setup as Bleacher Report/TNT and charge even more. 

ESPN+ gets you Sun Belt Conference sports which is worth the price of admission alone. Also getting cheaper access to the content MLS Live used to have.

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

It took me a second for the light to go on, but it did. Where did I remember Charlotte Wilder's name from? Oh, she's friends with PFT Commenter and Dan Katz and had them on whatever show it is she does, which made Deadspin's Laura Wagner say that she is a traitor and disappointment to all women who work in sports:

Which means that this whole article is nothing but an excuse for yet another chapter of America's favorite nerd fight, Deadspin v. Barstool.

You may think it was the really mega-popular prom court kids who in adulthood never got over high school social dynamics. You'd be wrong: it's all the high-achieving NHS/application-padders in the next tier down who are obsessed with defining who's in and who's out and keep on doing it all their lives, and where do those kids end up?

$

At this big long helldesk, apparently! 

They have to work in those conditions and live in constant fear that their site will vanish at any moment. No wonder they're all so angry and everything on the site sounds like it was written by the same person - they're all on top of each other! 

I worked at a desk like that for six months and I came home exhausted every day because I was forced into constant socialization and eye contact for ten hours a day. I also didn't get anything done because it was loud and distracting as hell. I'll take my cube in Cincinnati all day every day. Not to get braggadocios, but it's about the size of two of those desks.

RE: The Pardon My Take guys, while not as bad as the rest of Barstool, are problematic because they've become the friendly goofy face that acts as the gateway drug to Portnoy's bulls***. But they also have a huge audience and I don't begrudge Charlotte Wilder for having them on her web show. I think maybe if you're a woman trying to work in sports media the best play might be to cozy up to the PMT guys and get on their good side. Capital J Journalist Rachel Nichols doesn't seem to mind them. 

13 hours ago, Digby said:

I think they have a point on this one. It's gross for SI to get in bed with a team like this; at least there's not really a real serious sports conflict or whatever over a dumb hot dog, but it's still so exceptionally stupid as to hold the audience in contempt. And I don't want to make it personal with Charlotte Wilder (she wrote some good things for SB Nation back in the day) but it does feel like SI is just forcing it in an attempt to have their own Katie Nolan.

My biggest issue with the story is not that it's sponsored content. I'm not even certain that it is SponCon (which is a really annoying portmanteau. It sounds like a terrible convention. Just take a second and type out both words, people.). I think Wilder was probably like "hey can I go do my foodie thing with one of those weird ballpark foods?" and the editor was like "yeah go for it, you're our biggest star right now for some reason!". My biggest issue with the article is that it's hack AF. The local news does a story on the crazy new ballparks foods every spring, people tweet out the crazy new ballparks foods every spring. You know why the ballparks all have chefs make crazy new foods you wouldn't expect to see at a ballpark every year? Because the local news does a story on the crazy new ballparks foods every spring, and people tweet out the crazy new ballparks foods every spring. And every year I skip over them because I know I'm never gonna go to the Reds club section and spend $20 on a gourmet cheeseburger that has a full wedge salad under a red bun. https://www.wcpo.com/entertainment/local-a-e/great-american-ball-parks-new-food-options-are-reds-hot#id9

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Has anyone at this message board ever eaten stunt concessions? Report back if you have.

I've had Bacon on a Stick at Camden yards before.  It's a thick slice of bacon covered in a maple-and-Old-Bay glaze.  Quite good.  Camden Yards also has what is called the Triple Crown, which is a hot dog with pulled pork on it, topped with one of the aforementioned bacon slices.  Also quite good.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Has anyone at this message board ever eaten stunt concessions? Report back if you have.

I wouldn't call it a stunt food, but I ate poutine in GABP's Machine Room restaurant* and it was great and the next year it was gone because I'm probably the only person who ever ordered it. 

*The Machine Room is rad because anyone can enter regardless of where their seats are. They used to have waiters and you could sit there the entire game. My go-to move used to be to buy the cheapest bleacher tickets and then show up early and hog a table with field views at the Machine Room, which is kind of a dick move, but I was 24. Now it's less of restaurant and more of a fancy concession stand with tables and stuff. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Pac-12 still holding out.

As reported by Sports Business Journal’s John Ourand and Michael Smith, the Pac-12 turned down an offer from ESPN to distribute their networks in exchange for an extension of their rights agreement that would have given ESPN the Pac-12’s rights “well into the 2030s”.

On the surface, this offer from ESPN looked like a great lifeline to bail out the Pac-12 and their struggling networks, but the Pac-12 is (again) betting on itself when the next round of rights negotiations comes up. With their current TV rights deal with Fox and ESPN ending in 2024, the Pac-12 is hopeful that within the next five years, digital outlets will join traditional TV networks and create a bidding war for their next rights deal. The Pac-12 is getting $3 billion over 12 years from ESPN and Fox, so this rights deal is one of their biggest revenue generators. Extending with ESPN now would remove much of the uncertainty around the Pac-12 Networks and their distribution, but would also deprive the conference of a potentially larger payday in the future.

In addition, the Pac-12 didn’t want to cede complete control of the networks to ESPN, and that ESPN felt like their offer to the conference was a long shot. But just like playing the lottery, you can’t win if you don’t play, so they figured it was worth a try. ESPN has shown that they can operate a conference’s network with minimal bumps in the road, and close carriage deals with major providers for those networks (especially the SEC Network), which would have been their major selling point to the Pac-12.

DAZN to double their monthly US price to $19.99 for new subscribers, but will also add an annual pass for $99.99.  Gotta pay for those contracts given to Canelo and GGG somehow.

While current subscribers paying the original $9.99 monthly fee that was set at DAZN’s U.S. debut last year can continue in that model for one year, the service will alter its monthly fee to $19.99 for new subscribers next week while instituting a new $99.99 annual plan.

“The annual cost, broken down, is just over $8 a month and it will offer baseball, boxing, MMA – all you can eat – for about the cost of one pay-per-view” on Fox, Showtime or ESPN, said DAZN’s Executive Vice President Joe Markowski.

The pricing, Markowski said, emerged as a result of company research of its undisclosed current subscriber base, which he classified into two groups.

Those called “value seekers” are primarily motivated by the feeling they are getting a bargain from their purchase, and those labeled “flexibility seekers” aren’t as concerned with cost as they are with accessing DAZN’s programming on an as-needed basis.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

DAZN to double their monthly US price to $19.99 for new subscribers, but will also add an annual pass for $99.99.  Gotta pay for those contracts given to Canelo and GGG somehow.

Don’t forget paying Joshua to fight anyone who weighs 200+ pounds and isn’t named Wilder or Fury

4 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Honestly, I think this is going to be the new model going forward. With so many subscription services with high-profile exclusive content, a lot of people are going to be doing a month here and a month there IMO. I'll give CBS $10 for one month to watch Star Trek Discovery, but I'm not going to stick around after. I'm seriously considering ditching Netflix for a Hulu/Disney+ bundle later this year, but if Netflix comes up with enough quality things I want to watch? I can just switch back for a month with no big disruption. For now, at least.

The whole world wants an auto-renew subscription on your credit card.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2019 at 8:55 AM, McCarthy said:

They have to work in those conditions and live in constant fear that their site will vanish at any moment. No wonder they're all so angry and everything on the site sounds like it was written by the same person - they're all on top of each other! 

Gawker has always operated under one model of precarity or another. Under Univision, it's that the whole place could be padlocked the next morning. But under Nick Denton, it was their weird, arcane, paid-by-the-pageview model where writers would be going along and suddenly their email account wouldn't work, and then Slack wouldn't work, and finally Denton would just be like "oh, it seems your last article, 'This Red Sox Fan Is A Dumb Jerk Who Looks Like He Smells Probably I Think Maybe' failed to generate sufficient engagement, we actually terminated you two days ago, perhaps we should have made it clearer, well, I suppose you should go, then."

9 hours ago, Cosmic said:

I'm seriously considering ditching Netflix for a Hulu/Disney+ bundle later this year, but if Netflix comes up with enough quality things I want to watch? I can just switch back for a month with no big disruption.

I heard they're working on a show where a stand-up comedian who went to Brown is like "I actually have anxiety and depression" and trudges around New York while a Mitski song plays

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I heard they're working on a show where a stand-up comedian who went to Brown is like "I actually have anxiety and depression" and trudges around New York while a Mitski song plays

If you can work a graphic orgy into the first episode, I think you've got yourself a producer deal, admiral.

5 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

i really must not be paying attention, but when did UNIWATCH go to SI.com?  I just saw the MLB 2019 preview and was like wait, I missed something...

They left a few months ago. Their fan page on Facebook changed as well since Paul went to a pay wall.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

The Athletic's first set of podcasts announced.

Featured shows at launch will include:

• The Daily Ding with Dave Dufour, Big Wos, Travonne Edwards, and Zach Harper  (NBA)
  • The Opener with Jonah Keri (MLB)
  • The Breakout with Julie Stewart-Binks, Billy Jaffe, Craig Custance (NHL)
  • Birds All Day with Andrew Stoeten, Drew Fairservice (MLB)
  • Rates and Barrels with Eno Sarris, Derek Van Riper (Fantasy)
  • Warriors Plus-Minus with Marcus Thompson, Tim Kawakami (NBA)
  • Starkville with Jayson Stark and Doug Glanville (MLB)
  • Plus 15 more local podcasts in the Bay Area and Toronto (with more to come in additional markets)