The Sports Media Thread

J.E. Skeets & co. have unsurprisingly signed on with the Athletic. "No Dunks" is the new podcast name.

I'm a little amazed if the Athletic will be sustainably profitable hoover'ing up all these media personalities for presumably pretty decent salaries. But I hope so!

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

23 minutes ago, Digby said:

J.E. Skeets & co. have unsurprisingly signed on with the Athletic. "No Dunks" is the new podcast name.

I'm a little amazed if the Athletic will be sustainably profitable hoovering up all these media personalities for presumably pretty decent salaries. But I hope so!

With basically no ad revenue and most people's first year being given to them at 40% off their regular subscription price, it really is hard to see how they can survive long term in their current form.  Venture capital still wants their investment back.

Does anybody actually pay $59.99 to renew?

8 minutes ago, dfwabel said:

With basically no ad revenue and most people's first year being given to them at 40% off their regular subscription price, it really is hard to see how they can survive long term in their current form.  Venture capital still wants their investment back.

Does anybody actually pay $59.99 to renew?

I just saw my calendar reminder I made last year to cancel my introductory rate. I like the idea of The Athletic, but I simply don't use it.

They also folded on China at a bad time.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

9 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

I just saw my calendar reminder I made last year to cancel my introductory rate. I like the idea of The Athletic, but I simply don't use it.

They also folded on China at a bad time.

I renewed, but not at the regular rate as you can buy yourself the gift rate at 20% off the standard rate. 

Thanks for reminding me to cancel before Black Friday. I think I’ve read it three times. It’s good, I just don’t care enough about sports to pay for anything more than what the local beat writers and twitterers provide for free. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

The Deadspin brats are having a meltdown again.

You actually want me to write about sports for a sports website and not a 20 page screed on how Dragon Ball Z is problematic? Fascist! 

Fire them all and have the janitors write. Then again, I think the janitors would rather clean up crap than write it so I guess its a wash?

• Like 1

On 8/23/2019 at 5:08 PM, the admiral said:

The private equity people shouldn't have bought Gawker. No one should have, because all you would get for your money is a gaggle of private school brats who throw big public bitchfits whenever you suggest that maybe they don't have to do twenty posts a day about their grudge against Dave Portnoy, and then cry about how they want their daddy Nick Denton back, who, pace all the Gawker mythos, did plenty of content-steering by quietly firing anyone who didn't generate enough pageviews for him. We did this whole dance when Univision bought them: there are new executives, we don't respect them, they're mean, they're compromising the sterling integrity of the Brett Favre dick picture Hulk Hogan sex tape website, we want Daddy back. Then they bled Univision out and had to be sold for pennies on the dollar to private-equity vultures. There's no real money in blogging (as I understand it, the whole content side of the operation is essentially the loss leader for their Groupon-esque deal site) and we're on the precipice of everyone learning this the hard way. Including Barstool? Especially Barstool! Idiots though they may be, at least they figured out the real money is in t-shirts.

I posted about yet another sippy-cup rewrite of "Baby It's Cold Outside" earlier and now I can basically apply everything from two months ago to whatever Deadspin is doing today. Everything is the same thing over and over and over again. Nothing ever gets better, it just gets worse and we keep doing it.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

If you look for the War on Christmas every year, you'll find it.

Deadspin is going to die and we'll be worse off for it. I don't know why we should be happy about it.

• Like 6

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, Digby said:

Rooting for private equity to strip-mine decent sources of entertainment? What a time to be alive.

I get it but I don't. Yes, the inconveniences of certain people who work in cramped desks in Brooklyn can be annoying. But on the whole, I'd rather read their perspective than ESPN or Yahoo or Barstool. On the whole, Deadspin did better than other sources; it's kind of like how Bill Simmons pushed sports media forward even though a lot of his current shtick is tedious. We're better for Deadspin than we are without them; we're better for unionized media than we are without; we're better with Barry Petchesky than we'll be without him.

Gawker Media :censored:ed up monumentally and this long, drawn-out (yet still sudden) end for Deadspin was inevitable. I don't think we need to dance on their grave though.

• Like 10

20 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I just hate smug pricks who act like being told to do their job is a horrible insult. I guess its only insulting if you say it in English rather than Mandarin, apparently. 

Except arguably they were doing their job right up until the private equity brosephs who had acquired Gawker took exception to being outed as such in a feature Deadspin article and then pulled the Darth Vader "I have altered the bargain" shtick.

• Like 8
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

Many Deadspin writers were Actually Good. Deadspin as an entity was Actually Bad. Does that make sense?

I probably disagree with about 70% of what they write, but there are definitely some gems in there, which is why I check their website almost every day, even if it’s just for 10 seconds.

They also don’t come at things from a purely analytical point of view, so I feel it also helps balance out my sports news cycle.

I find that a lot more valuable than Bill Simmons who I agree with over 70% of the time, but never says anything I find to be thought provoking which is why I ignore him.

• Like 2

With Barry Petchesky fired yesterday, many other Deadspin staffers (the whole Deadspin staff?) followed him out the door and resigned today.

Looks like Deadspin is dead. Long live Deadspin.

EDIT: Not dead, but at least severely diminished: https://awfulannouncing.com/online-outlets/many-deadspin-staffers-resign-in-wake-of-barry-petchesky-firing.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 1

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |