2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

I've learned to be be positive and enjoy the playoffs despite my team being a flaming bag of poop. These playoffs have actually been really good - No Kings, no Blackhawks, no Canada. It's rare to get a great combination like that, so I had to savor it while it lasted. The only thing left is to see the Cup back in California so that the best rivalries in hockey can get even better.

Keep the Cup in the family, Sharks. You know what to do.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a die hard Flyers fan, I root for anyone against the Penguins. Even the Rangers. I was also a kid of the 90s who loved the expansion Sharks look and adopted them as my second team. They are still my second favorite team so his is obviously a no-brainer for me. Sharks all the way!!

1 hour ago, The Six said:

I've learned to be be positive and enjoy the playoffs despite my team being a flaming bag of poop. These playoffs have actually been really good - No Kings, no Blackhawks, no Canada. It's rare to get a great combination like that, so I had to savor it while it lasted. The only thing left is to see the Cup back in California so that the best rivalries in hockey can get even better.

Keep the Cup in the family, Sharks. You know what to do.

It's "great" to have no Canadian teams in the playoffs?

He's The Six. He is not a typical sports fan from the Greater Los Angeles Area, indicated by his fandom of the Giants and his interesting approach towards assessing his favorite teams/least favorite teams (one which I agree with, at times). He also like the word "poopy," because our board software automatically censors out words like s**t. 

Also, I have no real ill will against the Penguins. I'm not to keen on them clinching on the road (either in their vegas gold Edge "click-n-fill" sweaters or their messy back-to-back Stanley Cup white sweaters), but I'm cool with them otherwise. I never thought the current Sharks core could actually go to a Stanley Cup Final (like The Six, I'm a little too trigger-happy with the "rebuild it" logic), so I'm simply happy that they're finally in this position.

You could even say he's a board member to keep an eye on*.  He's on the radar.

* "board member to keep an eye on" is not affiliated with "poster to watch".

22 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

No, you haven't.

As a fan, yes I have.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Thank you for your answers, those of who did provide some. I understand rivalries and why you can't root for a rival. I, too, don't like Sidney Crosby, but I'm glad he's on my team. And while I accept that it's your opinion, I can't get behind the "I hate the Steelers, therefore I must hate the Penguins as well". When deciding what teams to root for/against, I don't care how I may feel about other teams from that city. I'm a SF Giants fan, can't stand the 49ers. I hate the Ravens, like the Orioles. To me they're two separate franchises that have nothing to do with each other except for both being named after the city.

Oh well, thanks for the clarification, I knew people didn't like the Penguins, but recently on this and other boards, I get the impression that people would root for ISIS over the Penguins, and just didn't know that there was that level of hatred towards the team.

Go Pens...

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

He is a whiny baby.

Hmm, did he not battle serious concussion issues that both threatened to end his career and caused him great pain and malaise. Only to come back to the game he loves and still be a really good hockey player ?

Yes, he did all of that and I am truly glad he is in good health. But that doesn't take away from the fact that he is whiny and is an instigator. He has also been quoted as saying he doesn't like the Flyers. So as a Flyers fan, I return the sentiment.

5 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

He is a whiny baby.

Donald J. Trump

@realdonaldtrump

There goes Whiny Sidney again thinking he doesn't have to earn a holding call. Whiny Sidney never learns. Sad!

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

7 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

[citation needed]

Well Mike, I'll be honest with you. Your initial point pissed me off. I've rooted for a perennial loser for almost 15 years and while that time isn't the long torrid plight other fans have suffered, I've tolerated some substantial disappointments. If I was following hockey for less than five years, I wouldn't make such a bold statement. Maybe this is my crazy philosophy as a sports fan, but if the Blues were moving on, I would've rooted for them. I like seeing different teams win. It makes it more interesting for me as a fan to watch different teams get a title and when someone like you, or anyone I know on Facebook, comes out and gives me sarcasm or argues the point, I get defensive.

I'd find it more unusual if fans of franchises like your Leafs or Flyers or Sabres wouldn't feel the same. We spend countless time and energy rooting for these guys, wanting to see them succeed and tolerate several heartbreaks along the way, so yea, I feel like I've "paid some dues" in a fandom sense and deserve to see them be happy for a change. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

NHL Dude: Hey, Billy... come over here for a sec.

Intern: It's Braden, actually, sir.

NHL Dude: Sure.  Hey, uh, Comcast threw us some money, so we need you to make a promo that ties the playoffs in with this new King Kong ride thingy.

Intern: You want me to compare the playoffs to a theme park ride where a giant gorilla fights dinosaurs and tries to eat you?

NHL Dude: Make it happen, champ.

Archived