2016 NHL Playoffs, Rite of Spring: "You thought God was an architect"

ninersdd

3 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

The only thing I can't understand is why @BeerGuyJordan , who says he's from Bemidji, is a Preds fan. :therock:

I mean you're closer to Winnipeg and St. Paul combined than you are to Nashville. So, how they're your team? Just wondering... 

By that way of thinking, O6 fans wouldn't come crawling out of the woodwork in insane numbers whenever they play second expansion era teams.

I lived in Nashville when I got into hockey...there's this crazy thing that people sometimes do called relocating, usually for work, school, or to be close to family.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

CRAP NO ONE CARES ABOUT

Actually the kind of random factoid that requires researching is exactly the sort of thing that stat buffs love. 

Yeah, I've got a chip on my shoulder about my team being one of the three or four teams that has to perform twice as well to get media attention. (NBCSN's round one and two videos included footage from every series but the ones the Preds were in, until the triple-OT winner)

Nashville is a market that-by all accounts, probably shouldn't have worked. But they've been outperforming storied teams, both on-ice and at the gate, for years, only to be viewed by many as the NHL's red-headed stepchild.

No, we absolutely are not an elite team. Dismissing, out of hand, the team that knocked out a heavy favorite and forced game 7 against the conference champs, though, is the kind of hockey-elitist crap that drives small-market fans nuts.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doing bush league things like trying to keep opposing fans out of your arena doesn't help.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1 minute ago, ninersdd said:

Looks like Stamkos will make his debut tonight. 

image.jpeg

And it's not just the Blue Jackets trolling this time!  I saw him on the bench.

The Lightning might want to try not giving up 21 shots in a period for the third.  Jeez, over 20 is when you start talking about a decent amount for a game.

THE-LINE-MUST.jpg

#NeverPenguins

5 minutes ago, habsfan1 said:

Looks like I won't be getting the Sharks/Lightning Cup Final I was hoping for

With a commanding 2-1 lead, Pittsburgh totally has this game in the bag....

6uXNWAo.png

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

By that way of thinking, O6 fans wouldn't come crawling out of the woodwork in insane numbers whenever they play second expansion era teams.

I lived in Nashville when I got into hockey...there's this crazy thing that people sometimes do called relocating, usually for work, school, or to be close to family.

Actually the kind of random factoid that requires researching is exactly the sort of thing that stat buffs love. 

Yeah, I've got a chip on my shoulder about my team being one of the three or four teams that has to perform twice as well to get media attention. (NBCSN's round one and two videos included footage from every series but the ones the Preds were in, until the triple-OT winner)

Nashville is a market that-by all accounts, probably shouldn't have worked. But they've been outperforming storied teams, both on-ice and at the gate, for years, only to be viewed by many as the NHL's red-headed stepchild.

No, we absolutely are not an elite team. Dismissing, out of hand, the team that knocked out a heavy favorite and forced game 7 against the conference champs, though, is the kind of hockey-elitist crap that drives small-market fans nuts.

Well, that's what I was wondering... 

And no, not really... Nashville ALMOST beat the current conference champion. The final score of game 7 was 5-0... That's not close! Close would be hit the post in OT, but then they had an outstanding goal. Nashville hasn't been beating storied teams on ice, or at the gate... The O6, Pretty much all the Canadien teams, Minnesota, any of the 67 expansion teams (ok, NOT Dallas...)?  No way! They've never won a division, never won a conference finals, or the Cup... A ton of other teams have, but yet none of them are bragging about it... And being first in the league for a while is not that much of an accomplishment when you can't hold it...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

2 hours ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Yes, it's great the Preds were the best team for half a season and haven't been swept in the playoffs because those are totally things teams hang their hats on. Again, where's the banners for being in NBCSN's highlight package? Where's the banners for beating the Ducks in round one and then almost beating the Sharks in round two?

No cups, no conference championships, no division championships and they haven't made it out of the second round in 18-19 seasons.

IbjBaeE.png

Yknow there's something funny about this. My ex's brother for some reason became a big Pens fan despite not caring that much eight years ago and I know through creeping on FB periodically he's studying for a theatre major position here in the city. I kind of feel like messaging him and making a snide remark should things end in my favor, but I suppose that'd be bad karma, so maybe I'll just run into him at Durkin's or Dark Horse or something with some other daring Sharks fans.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

Son of a bitch. 

I'm going to start betting on Pittsburgh sports teams to win. If they win then at least I'll get some cash, in the event they somehow don't fall into a victory then I'll think of it as a victory tax. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived