NHL Concepts - 3/30 - Florida

Ti-Nick

Hello! Last year I started an NHL redesign series to learn vector drawing, but never completed it. So I decided to start over, this time using a complete uniform template. I will start with the teams that most desperately need to be redesigned (in my opinion) and see where it goes from there. I will take my time, and I'm still not so good with vector drawing, so the concepts won't be piling up fast. Thanks a lot for any C&C!

First, the Colorado Avalanche. I hate their logo and uniforms (in fact I hate the team, since my team will always be the Nordiques), but I love their new alternate logo and colors. I think it would be a great rebrand for the team, so I went in that direction.

Avalanche.png

Beautiful update for the Avs. Loving the new logo with the 'A', 'C', and mountain. Great logo, and great jerseys. The only thing I would change is the hem striping. The arm striping is angled to have mountains, but the hem isn't. I think it should have the mountain pattern in it, but that's just me.

Can't wait to see what this brings in the future!

Not bad. You add more burgundy, which is what the alternate jersey really need now and you brought back the mountain striping too which is good. I do like your ''fix'' to the alternate logo, it definitely looks better than what t hey wear now. Your shoulder patch isn't bad either.

However, using navy instead of steel blue, just makes the set too dang dark! I hate the new alternate, so I would never want to see these colors and logos replace what they have now. That being said, the current home and away are in dire need of maintenance they just shouldn't move on the ''Rockies'' direction.

I have to stand up for the Avs main crest and logo though, it is miles better than the Rockies knock offs that they use for alternates now. At least the primary crest is creative, unlike the alternate logos. The ''C'' is so dull and the ''Rockies'' logo is so uninspired. The ''A'' logo is a bit dated, but it still holds up and is probably the best thing to come out of the 90s in the NHL.

I love the overall concept. And the primary is great. Dropping black is the right move.

One suggestion: the hexagon - while being a nice standalone logo - does not have a particular connection to Colorado. Utah maybe (with the bees and all). Maybe restyle the same interior contents, but put them in the shape of a diamond or double-diamond to tie in the skiing.

23 hours ago, ScreamingViking said:

I love the overall concept. And the primary is great. Dropping black is the right move.

One suggestion: the hexagon - while being a nice standalone logo - does not have a particular connection to Colorado. Utah maybe (with the bees and all). Maybe restyle the same interior contents, but put them in the shape of a diamond or double-diamond to tie in the skiing.

Ooh, the double diamond angle could be awesome! Love the concept. I wouldn't mind seeing a mountain in the hem, also.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

3 hours ago, ldconcepts said:

302af25cd38f0e6bf0f2be21deac228e.jpg

Precisely, but overlap them a bit more, to give yourelf a more singular work space.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

I tried making a diamond-shaped shoulder logo for the Avs but it didn't really work. I'm still not so good with vector drawing so I wasn't able to do what I had in mind. I'll try again later when (if) I get better.

#2: Calgary Flames. I've always really liked the shade of red the Flames used on their 2011 Heritage Classic jersey. I think it looks much better than the lighter shade they used in the 80's. It seems less garish, a bit more modern. I also got rid of black, I don't think they need it. It's a pretty simple concept but I like it that way. Tell me what you think!

Flames.png

20 hours ago, Ti-Nick said:

I tried making a diamond-shaped shoulder logo for the Avs but it didn't really work. I'm still not so good with vector drawing so I wasn't able to do what I had in mind. I'll try again later when (if) I get better.

#2: Calgary Flames. I've always really liked the shade of red the Flames used on their 2011 Heritage Classic jersey. I think it looks much better than the lighter shade they used in the 80's. It seems less garish, a bit more modern. I also got rid of black, I don't think they need it. It's a pretty simple concept but I like it that way. Tell me what you think!

Flames.png

These look great, but I kind of miss the bright red, I feel like a lot of sports teams are moving to "darker, edgier and more modern" looks, and those few still doing bright colors are kind of refreshing.

With the darker red, though, I totally agree on black becoming unnecessary, though.

@BeerGuyJordan I share your opinion about bright colors. I hate almost all black or really dark uniforms, I'm really more a fan of bright sets like in the 80's. But I still think that some color schemes are too garish and don't look that good, nostalgia aside (90's Avalanche, 80's Flames). Yes, the shade of red I used is "darker" than the original, but I think it can still be seen as a "bright" set. At least that's what I was going for.

Thanks everyone for the comments. Next up are the Florida Panthers. I like their new look more than their Edge set, but I prefer their original uniforms (apart from the leaping panther, which I never really liked). I'm also not a fan of the new gold shade used in their logos, so I replaced it with the original yellow. I removed the banner from the logo and brought back the striping from their double blue third jersey from a few years ago. C&C welcome!

Panthers.png

Archived