Las Vegas NHL Expansion

ShinyHubCaps

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

That's the route I would personally like to see them go (Outlaws, Bandits, Desperadoes, etc.).

I like the Outlaw moniker for a Vegas team and think it would be the runaway no brainer in Foley's name search if images of He Hate Me and Vince Neal's embarrassment of an Arena Football League team (one that didn't even last one full season in the league) didn't immediately pop to mind. Then again, we are talking a "pipe dream" league, a niche league that has taken a major nose dive in the last 5-7 years and a major league sports franchise. It is a hell of a lot better than Knights and more fitting for a Vegas team. I also briefly flirted with the idea of a Vegas Renegades moniker (if you look up the definition, its another that fits like a glove) but it isn't as much a roll off the tongue name as Outlaws.

Texas.gif

6 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

That's the route I would personally like to see them go (Outlaws, Bandits, Desperadoes, etc.).

I like the Outlaw moniker for a Vegas team and think it would be the runaway no brainer in Foley's name search if images of He Hate Me and Vince Neal's embarrassment of an Arena Football League team (one that didn't even last one full season in the league) didn't immediately pop to mind. Then again, we are talking a "pipe dream" league, a niche league that has taken a major nose dive in the last 5-7 years and a major league sports franchise. It is a hell of a lot better than Knights and more fitting for a Vegas team. I also briefly flirted with the idea of a Vegas Renegades moniker (if you look up the definition, its another that fits like a glove) but it isn't as much a roll off the tongue name as Outlaws.

Also for what its worth.. Scorpions beat Aces (which I thought was going to be the odds on favorite) in the Vegas RJ unofficial Name The Team Contest. I think it comes down to Outlaws and Scorpions (voting for Outlaws vs. Bighorns is tomorrow-- today for the East Coasters). I think either name would sell well.

Screenshot_20160720-231713.png

Texas.gif

5 hours ago, Thomas said:

What about stickslingers ?

Or...Blasphemers ?

Maybe, RentSpenders ?

Dreamcrushers ?

GoBrokers ?

B)

No, no, no, no, and no.  B)

Lol at "Stickslingers".  Nothing like slingin' stick.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

4 hours ago, kw11333 said:

Oh PLEASE. Nothing XFLish. The mid-late 90s/early 2000's was the worst time for team NAMEZZ ever.

FTFY

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Here are my suggestions:

Las Vegas Revelry

Vegas Vagabonds

Las Vegas Dams

Las Vegas Thunderbirds

Thunderbirds could have actually been viable, but with the new AHL version, no way Foley will do it.

I'm open to something Outlaws/Wranglers etc, but mainly because I see it at the most likely hope of putting a splash of neon in a league with a raging erection for dark color schemes and little in the way of visually bright/fun offerings.

Thunder Bay Lynx - International Hockey Association (2 seasons, 2017-18, 2019-20, 2018 Xtreme Cup Champions)Houston Armadillos - Major League Hockey (2 seasons, 2016-18) | Minnesota Muskies - North American Basketball Association (1 season, 2017-2018) | Louisville Thoroughbreds - United League of Baseball (1 season, 2017, 2017 United Cup Champions) | Las Vegas Thunderbirds - International Basketball League (1 season, 2016-17, 2017 Champions) 

Sorry, I dropped out while everything seemed to get very long, detailed, and personal. Did everyone really start to decide that Outlaws is a better name than Knights? Are we playing Generic Name Bingo or something? Let's name them Cougars and just be done with it then. 

They're both incredibly generic, but at least with Knights we get some medieval imagery (maybe a dragon logo...who doesn't love dragons?) rather than another cowboy-figure.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

22 minutes ago, BeerGuyJordan said:

Thunderbirds could have actually been viable, but with the new AHL version, no way Foley will do it.

I'm open to something Outlaws/Wranglers etc, but mainly because I see it at the most likely hope of putting a splash of neon in a league with a raging erection for dark color schemes and little in the way of visually bright/fun offerings.

19 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

You're describing the NHL of ten years ago. 

Now? The Oilers, Penguins, and Islanders have all turned from their drab late 90s/early 2000s dark colour schemes in favour of bright, vibrant older looks.

I think BGJ may be referring more to LA, Anaheim, and (to a lesser extent) Arizona, who all have black as either a primary or secondary color. 

5 hours ago, CreamSoda said:

Here are my suggestions:

Las Vegas Revelry

Vegas Vagabonds

Las Vegas Dams

Las Vegas Thunderbirds

I seriously doubt Dams would ever get any traction, but I think Las Vegas Dynamos could be a suitable alternative. All those pretty lights require a lot of juice.

5 minutes ago, hockey week said:

Sorry, I dropped out while everything seemed to get very long, detailed, and personal. Did everyone really start to decide that Outlaws is a better name than Knights? Are we playing Generic Name Bingo or something? Let's name them Cougars and just be done with it then. 

They're both incredibly generic, but at least with Knights we get some medieval imagery (maybe a dragon logo...who doesn't love dragons?) rather than another cowboy-figure.

Apparently they are having trademark issues with Knights

Texas.gif

1 hour ago, hockey week said:

Outlaws has way more of a Western feel to it than Knights or Cougars.  That's kind of undeniable.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Thaumatrope said:

I think BGJ may be referring more to LA, Anaheim, and (to a lesser extent) Arizona, who all have black as either a primary or secondary color. 

He said the league, as in the whole league. I responded in kind.

Archived