2016 Olympics

AnPheitseog

22 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

USA basketball did its best to join the women's soccer team today against Serbia, holding on for a three point win, even giving up a potential game tying shot.

Durant seems to be playing like just a guy. Anthony can't always be the guy. When Irving doesn't have it, he's infuriating.  Harrison Barnes still isn't playing and WTF is he on the team.

If the US keeps hoping to coast on talent, they're going to lose to a team that's efforting it.

Its still the group stage in basketball and they already qualified for the knockout round so even if they lost they wouldn't have been eliminated.

However I'm worried they might have to play Spain in the first knockout game since the Spaniards are playing like crap but are the defending European champs so they are still dangerous.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ledecky's performance in that 800 meter is on the level of Secretariat at the Belmont. Absurd.

Her only real competition in that race was the previous world record... which she had set herself earlier this year. What's crazier is that she's brought down the world record in the 800 meter freestyle by a full 10 SECONDS in a three year span.

Oh, and what's even crazier than that? She's even more dominant in the 1500 meter freestyle, which unfortunately the Olympics doesn't run for women (some other competitions do). The longer the race is, the better she gets. Her endurance is freakish.

13 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Anthony Ervin wins the 50m freestyle at Sydney 2000.

Retires.

Comes back sixteen years later and takes gold in Rio.

Unreal.

He sold his gold medal from 2000 for just over $17K.

Swimmer comebacks are always questionable after Dara Torres and her "transformation". Hell, she fought for 18 months to be permitted to use albuterol for her "asthma".

Bonds, A-Rod, Lance Armstrong and Torres never failed a test.

17 hours ago, Cujo said:

Ugh. Just like the US Men's basketball squad, I pretty much expect our Women's soccer team to win every tournament they enter.

Choked that one. Hard.

Sure, they choked. But I'm surprised on how much people care about Olympic soccer. It's important but it's a distant second when compared to the World Cup, even on the women's side.

11 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Swimmer comebacks are always questionable after Dara Torres and her "transformation". Hell, she fought for 18 months to be permitted to use albuterol for her "asthma".

A-Rod failed multiple tests. He's part of the original test group that brought full blown testing into MLB. He also got suspended for a year 2 years ago. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

Sure, they choked. But I'm surprised on how much people care about Olympic soccer. It's important but it's a distant second when compared to the World Cup, even on the women's side.

It's because it's one of the sports Americans feel entitled to. Both basketball competitions, womens  gymnastics and swimming are things we just expect to win every time. For US Soccer, the Olympicsare equivalent to the Gold Cup since only the US and Canada are consistently amongst the top of the world and the only threats in CONCACAF are each other. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

The World Cup and the Olympics are about the only times in a 4-year period where the women's game means something to casual fans.

This stat I saw about Ledecky and the 800m blew my mind grapes: In total, Ledecky has lowered the world record by 9.31 seconds over the past three years. In the previous 35 years, the world record had only been lowered by 10.52 seconds.

This is a great photograph

ledecky.jpgBelmont_-Stakes_-31-lengths_photo1.jpg

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, McCarthy said:

This stat I saw about Ledecky and the 800m blew my mind grapes: In total, Ledecky has lowered the world record by 9.31 seconds over the past three years. In the previous 35 years, the world record had only been lowered by 10.52 seconds.

This is a great photograph

ledecky.jpgBelmont_-Stakes_-31-lengths_photo1.jpg

I tried to tell y'all.

19 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Auctioned his medal and gave all $17K to tsunami relief.

Yea. Because ONE American swimmer is kinda-sorta suspect, they must ALL be....

A-Rod and Lance have OPENLY ADMITTED to using HGH. Bonds went to court because of it. 

Stop. Please.

6uXNWAo.png

4 hours ago, jmac11281 said:

You say that as if they should be given a pass because this was only the second-grandest stage.

If it wasn't a big deal, the USWNT wouldn't have sent their best players. Period.

6uXNWAo.png

36 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Sold auctioned his medal and gave all $17K to tsunami relief.

Yea. Because ONE American swimmer is kinda-sorta suspect, they must ALL be....

A-Rod and Lance have OPENLY ADMITTED to using HGH. Bonds went to court because of it. 

Stop. Please.

Dara Torres clean?

Swimmers who get faster decades later are clean?

It's not just "faster suits" and eating clean.

It's as dirty as cycling.

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

You say that as if they should be given a pass because this was only the second-grandest stage.

If it wasn't a big deal, the USWNT wouldn't have sent their best players. Period.

No pass for the players at all. I just meant fans.

1 hour ago, jmac11281 said:

The players choked but the fans put way too much stock into Olympic soccer. That was my point. Thanks for the sarcasm. You knew very well that is not what I meant. 

I'm far from an expert, but my theory is that Americans are used to caring about the Olympics, and not so indoctrinated into the traditions of soccer. I don't think any other sport Americans care about has an international tournament that overshadows the Olympics. Americans' greatest moments in international sports are all at the Olympics: Jesse Owens, Miracle on Ice, Dream Team, etc.

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Michael Phelps rounds out his Olympic career with 23 gold medals ,  as well as 3 silvers and 2 bronze.

Reveal hidden contents

He's coming back for Tokyo 2020.

Yeah, even if he doesn't do as many events as he typically does, I can see him in more of a closer type role for relays. If times around the world don't go down by too much for about 2 years, I'll expect a comeback.

JaiBirdDesignSig.png

Archived