2016 Olympics

AnPheitseog

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bolt might be top 5 all time athlete for me.  Might need a few weeks/months to clinch.  Triple triple in marquee Olympic events is pretty f'n amazing.  His mind & body are gifted for sports excellence & I'm glad I was alive to witness.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

The bronze medal match between Honduras and Nigeria has turned into a doozy. Nigeria built up a 3-0 lead by the 55th minute, but Honduras just scored its second goal in the 86th minute.

The crowd is "full" of early attendees for the later Brazil/Germany match. U-23 Olympic soccer has been a lot of fun to watch -- less cynicism and way more pace.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

51 minutes ago, DG_Now said:

The bronze medal match between Honduras and Nigeria has turned into a doozy. Nigeria built up a 3-0 lead by the 55th minute, but Honduras just scored its second goal in the 86th minute.

The crowd is "full" of early attendees for the later Brazil/Germany match. U-23 Olympic soccer has been a lot of fun to watch -- less cynicism and way more pace.

Bronze game is in Belo Horizonte.

Gold medal game is at the Maracana.

1 hour ago, dfwabel said:

Bronze game is in Belo Horizonte.

Gold medal game is at the Maracana.

Well then clearly no one from either country wanted to see that game. Lots of yellow shirts in the crowd.

Still a fun game.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

20 hours ago, 2001mark said:

I think Bolt might be top 5 all time athlete for me.  Might need a few weeks/months to clinch.  Triple triple in marquee Olympic events is pretty f'n amazing.  His mind & body are gifted for sports excellence & I'm glad I was alive to witness.

I don't have an all-time list, but my list would have Bolt as the "greater Olympian" than Phelps.

Now Phelps has some quality to him, but his greatness is tied to sheer quantity of medals won, and the sport in which he's competed in offers so many disciplines and lengths.  No other Olympic sport offers so many various events to enter than swimming.  Track is the closest, but even then that sport is still well behind.  Plus, in many of the relays that Phelps won medals in, he didn't have to swim in the preliminary heats....he just saved himself for the final.  And, Phelps has lost a few times in the Olympics.

Bolt never lost a race in three Olympiads, and in the three most premier track races.  Nine tries, nine golds.

Penalties are the worst way to end a soccer match, but Neymar winning the gold on the final PK was really special.

Amazing game and dramatic finish. It doesn't exorcise 7-1, but I bet you most Brazilians are feeling pretty good right now. That was awesome.

1 hour ago, DG_Now said:

Penalties are the worst way to end a soccer match, but Neymar winning the gold on the final PK was really special.

Amazing game and dramatic finish. It doesn't exorcise 7-1, but I bet you most Brazilians are feeling pretty good right now. That was awesome.

It reminded me of the hockey tournament in 2010. Gold in that one event was of supreme importance to the hosts and they got it in a dramatic finish. Neymar just collapsing from the joy/emotion/relief was certainly something to see. 

First time I've actually sat down and watched a soccer match. I give the sport a lot of crap, but I have to admit, that was pretty fun. Congrats to Brazil!

I doubted these games coming in, but man have they been entertaining to watch. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

54 minutes ago, twi said:

It reminded me of the hockey tournament in 2010. Gold in that one event was of supreme importance to the hosts and they got it in a dramatic finish. Neymar just collapsing from the joy/emotion/relief was certainly something to see. 

Was gonna say, reminded me of a game we were in attendance for six years ago......

7 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Women's hoops is SO unfair to the rest of the world. Our 4th team of WNBAers would still dominate.

The USA "next generation" has Griner, Delle Donne, Brianna Stewart (who is a baller) and Skyler Diggins ( who isn't on the damn team).

Not to rain, yet I can't name more than 2-3 NCAA Women's Basketball championship schools.

cropped-cropped-toronto-skyline21.jpg?w=

@2001mark

10 hours ago, 2001mark said:

Not to rain, yet I can't name more than 2-3 NCAA Women's Basketball championship schools.

Because that's all there are right now.  UConn and Notre Dame and everyone else.  Tennessee has been down since before Pat Summit left. SouthCarolina is improving but isn't fully elite yet. I wonder how a UConn team vs the rest of the WNBA would fare?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Have a question regarding Men's Olympic soccer. Can't help but notice many people refer to the participants in the men's Olympic tournament as U-23 squads. Just so I have a better understanding, what would the baseball equivalent to U-23 be? (Triple A, Double A, etc.)

And how is Neymar Jr on Brazil's U-23 team? I clearly remember him playing the last World Cup. Do National Soccer teams move players up and down levels the same way baseball clubs do?

I'm not the biggest soccer fan. My knowledge of the current soccer landscape is pretty much DC United, the rest of MLS, Team USA, Messi, Ronaldo, Rooney & Neymar.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

Archived