MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

15 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The Marlins were decried in their last decade in Miami Gardens for drowning all other colors in black and Loria's strange obsession with adding orange (a color locals considered better suited for Central Florida).  The rebrand doubled down on both of these, made a beloved feature of their identity a strange-lined swoosh that causes most concepts for the team start with "The first thing I did was fix the Marlin.  They said they'd go colorful, and then cut most of the color in their first season, if it even saw the field, instead focusing on almost entirely wearing black.  That's why people are unhappy with the rebrand.

Without disagreeing with this, you're speaking from the stance of uniform and logo buffs like us. The general public doesn't care that the Marlins use too much black, the Miami Heat use black and people here love it and nobody minded the Marlins using black before this rebrand either. People also don't hate the use of orange, they just prefer teal because it's what the Marlins embraced for a time and it's the recognizable color of the team before 2012. Also the Dolphins and the Hurricanes use orange down here as well. And the team not being as colorful as they said they'd be is not why people down here don't like the look as most here were shocked that the logo was so colorful and were fearing a rainbow uniform set. While you and I would love if they went with more blue than black if you asked the general population down here in South Florida they'd be skeptical of the thought of the team using even more colors. 

With that said, I believe we're giving two different sides of the same debate (uniform lovers vs South Florida sports fans)... and my only original point was that for all the shock it caused at the time of its unveiling, the Marlins rebrand is not as extreme as many made it out to be. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

White Sox wearing their '83 throwbacks today, and some players are wearing matching Stance socks.

C8-6X6vXcAA4Au0.jpg

Although those socks aren't consistent with what was actually worn in '83, they look pretty sharp. The four thin navy stripes towards the top are unnecessary, but I love how the w/r/b/r/w stripe is consistent with the chest and sleeve striping on the jerseys.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

So one week down for the 2017 Brewers and they were all home games. They wore the navy and gold M wheat uniforms, either the whites or the navy alt top, all week and Saturday night. They wore the royal blue retro ball in glove uniforms on Friday and on Sunday they wore the navy and yellow updated ball in glove look. As much of a mess as they still are, and I know it's only one week down, if they were to stick to this schedule I'd appreciate it. Be your primary look most home games, do the full on retro look on Fridays consistently and keep the navy ball in glove as a Sunday only thing and that's cool with me. They could go ahead screw it up any day now but let's see.

26 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

So one week down for the 2017 Brewers and they were all home games. They wore the navy and gold M wheat uniforms, either the whites or the navy alt top, all week and Saturday night. They wore the royal blue retro ball in glove uniforms on Friday and on Sunday they wore the navy and yellow updated ball in glove look. As much of a mess as they still are, and I know it's only one week down, if they were to stick to this schedule I'd appreciate it. Be your primary look most home games, do the full on retro look on Fridays consistently and keep the navy ball in glove as a Sunday only thing and that's cool with me. They could go ahead screw it up any day now but let's see.

Also, it looks like the Brewers' second team-specific Stance socks follow the same design as the regular ones, except with the gold swapped out for yellow and the regular logo swapped out for the ball in glove. This isn't the best look but you can kind of see them here:

IMG_3408.JPG.bb59d4044fab92a10f3cc77d3e95faa3.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Is it possible that it's velcroed all the way down?  Jerseys used to have a velcro patch to keep the split wordmark tight, but I don't know if they do that anymore.

I think the Dodgers have nearly perfect uniforms...just wish they had a better sleeve patch or just removed it.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

5 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Is it possible that it's velcroed all the way down?  Jerseys used to have a velcro patch to keep the split wordmark tight, but I don't know if they do that anymore.

I think the Dodgers have nearly perfect uniforms...just wish they had a better sleeve patch or just removed it.

Interesting, how recent was this? Never heard of velcro being used.

The Dodgers were pretty much set until they added that pointless road alternate, it's pretty unnecessary to me.

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, dsaline97 said:

The Dodgers were pretty much set until they added that pointless road alternate, it's pretty unnecessary to me.

Late 90s, mid-2000s I think.

This was best example on a quick search, and it's really hard to see...but if you look at the Y, in between the piping, you'll see rectangular stitching, which is where the velcro comes together.  

2505605433_1727fe34f1_o.png

This is kind of better (just coincidence that both are of Leiter)

pg2_g_leiter_600.jpg

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

A couple more looks at the Brewers' ball in glove socks:IMG_3413.JPG.66e74c5ebfc21f4660bc7dcc48150873.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG.a54f4dc99fe352a4d3c57eb37fbeb160.JPG

Also, another look at the Astros' tequila sunrise socks:

IMG_3414.thumb.JPG.b9a6e861690eae3438186f460420c5ae.JPG

Lastly, I've gotta say that the A's socks continue to be my favorite of the lot. Love the split yellow/green and they look really nice with all of their uniforms. 

IMG_3409.JPG.6daf822645eeb411f46d22e105aead15.JPGIMG_3410.JPG.c9c78ff94db852ba544b6bf220f367aa.JPGIMG_3411.JPG.0056b44705471c654dde331756177a8b.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

4 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

How about not wearing a jersey that reads "Milwaukee" when you're at home?  That just strikes me as wrong.

3 games I attended this week. 0-3.  Ugh.

It's where I sit.

41 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

A couple more looks at the Brewers' ball in glove socks:IMG_3413.JPG.66e74c5ebfc21f4660bc7dcc48150873.JPG

IMG_3412.JPG.a54f4dc99fe352a4d3c57eb37fbeb160.JPG

Also, another look at the Astros' tequila sunrise socks:

IMG_3414.thumb.JPG.b9a6e861690eae3438186f460420c5ae.JPG

Lastly, I've gotta say that the A's socks continue to be my favorite of the lot. Love the split yellow/green and they look really nice with all of their uniforms. 

IMG_3409.JPG.6daf822645eeb411f46d22e105aead15.JPGIMG_3410.JPG.c9c78ff94db852ba544b6bf220f367aa.JPGIMG_3411.JPG.0056b44705471c654dde331756177a8b.JPG

As much as I love stirrups and consider them to represent the ideal look, if this current sock business catches on and leads to the end of pajama pants, I'll consider it a win, despite the flaws in many of the socks.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Good look at how the Phillies' liberty bell socks look on the field now that they're Stance:

IMG_3422.JPG.1cecb022bec52ad6fb0b609ee7a36e73.JPG

And also a good look at the Nationals' second team-specific design on the field:

IMG_3421.JPG.da4ed455478686e0bab23defad6ff4dd.JPG

Shifting to Pittsburgh, the Pirates broke out their throwback Sunday alts for the first time this season. Some of the players wore the black, yellow, and white striped Stance socks which, while not technically a team-specific design, are obviously tailored really well to their color scheme. The striping on the socks actually went pretty well with the throwbacks, although it's too bad the white stripe couldn't sit right on top of the yellow stripe so it better matched the cuff and waist stripes.

IMG_3424.JPG.f7361fb684e9dadf39d97f3a83c26828.JPG

From that same game, at least one Pirate player was still wearing the old striped socks that the team wore last season:

IMG_3423.JPG.6e04b3e8e86d4fa32e1a0c6b98d309e5.JPG

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

8 hours ago, dsaline97 said:

Its pretty much the primary. Every year they wear it more and more. Im oretty sure the past three postseasons, maybe four, theyve worn them exclusively. And unlike years past, they started the season wearing the "alts" on the road 

also in spring they wore the grey "alt" pants (no piping)

Archived