MLB Changes 2017

TVIXX

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Stirrups are part of the correct way of wearing a baseball uniform, and have been since the 1920s.

Related image

rajai-davis-of-the-oakland-athletics-hits-a-two-run-triple-against-picture-id664682800

This is how a baseball player looks. (I don't care that his sanitaries are white instead of the yellow that is traditional for the A's.)  No one should be allowed on the field unless he is dressed like this guy.

Considering the stirrups and sanitary socks no longer serve the practical purpose they did back in the 1920's, are you ok with solid high socks since they serve essentially the same aesthetic purpose of the 1920's look? Also remember the earliest stirrups were cut as low as possible because the sanitary sock was originally meant to be hidden. 

I just don't see the attraction of wearing 2 socks where one is just a small strip of fabic over the heel area, and how anyone could possibly pick that style over just one sock that matches it in the same way with no white sock being visible. You show me stirrups and I'll pick the socks every time. 

I know stance has the ability to produce a solid stripe. Just don't understand the weird zig zag on the dodgers socks. But better these than the fake stirrups

IMG_3302.thumb.JPG.f1459164e8c6f6fed7065b8459a6ef9f.JPG 

My overall thought on the leagues socks is if stance leads to more players wearing the high sock look, im in favor. I dont like the logos on the socks and think they need to work on the elasticity not compromising the color of some socks, but overall im ok with stance 

Socks are popular nowadays. More guys wearinf high socks because of this is a positive, even if they arent all great. Hopefully stance improves 

11 hours ago, Ark said:

Stirrups add a bit of color and compliment the rest of the uniform.

That can be accomplished with socks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I like stirrups, but only very low ones, showing a minimum of white.  I'll take solid socks any day, I think socks should be a bold splash of color. 

Even thoigh they were the default look of my childhood, I just can't stand the ankle-thong skinny stirrups.  Not enough team color.  

robin-yount.jpg

Although, if anyone doubts whether the White Sox could actually wear white socks, they need only look at pictures like this one to see that white socks would work just fine with their pinstriped pants.  That's essentially what Robin is wearing anyway. 

As someone who very much likes the look of (low-cut) stirrups and stripes on socks, I can say that they're a pain to wear. I've got a pair that I wear to most Rays games I attend, and I often wear them when playing sports, but they're uncomfortable, move around, and can get quite warm, and I'm usually dying to get out of them by the time I get home, so I can understand players not wearing them as much. I'll probably end up getting a pair of the Stance version of the Rays' striped socks and wear those instead, because they're only one sock.

I don't have a problem with Stance's custom stripe designs for the most part. As long as they're team colors and are straight around the calf, I'm fine with them, like we've seen with Oakland or Baltimore's designs. I'm not a fan of the more outlandish designs like the Mets or Dodgers, or the zig-zag patterns, and I wish they could standardize them so that everyone on the team wore the same design, but as is, I'm fine with the Stance socks so far.

3834694136_f375c335e2_o.jpg3833900697_df7864756a_o.jpg

3 games into the season and the Brewers have stuck to the navy and gold "primary" wheat look. Obviously it's only three games but I'm curious to keep an eye on this because I'd have bet a lot of money we'd have seen the navy and yellow ball in glove at least once the first series. 

7 hours ago, HighCheese said:

I know stance has the ability to produce a solid stripe. Just don't understand the weird zig zag on the dodgers socks. But better these than the fake stirrups

IMG_3302.thumb.JPG.f1459164e8c6f6fed7065b8459a6ef9f.JPG 

My overall thought on the leagues socks is if stance leads to more players wearing the high sock look, im in favor. I dont like the logos on the socks and think they need to work on the elasticity not compromising the color of some socks, but overall im ok with stance 

Socks are popular nowadays. More guys wearinf high socks because of this is a positive, even if they arent all great. Hopefully stance improves 

Well what would help first is if THE STRIPES CONNECTED ON THE SOCK!!! 

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

41 minutes ago, Bill81361 said:

17758665_10150804924884990_400051397713317758562_10150804922724990_6788406897866

Orioles' socks.  Most of the players wear their pants long.

Important to note that those aren't the Orioles' team-specific socks. Theyre one of the striped designs that are available to the whole league, although obviously only the teams with black and orange in their color schemes are going to use them. A couple of the players on the Marlins have already worn them as well, and a couple of the Giants' players wore them during Spring Training.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

14 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Considering the stirrups and sanitary socks no longer serve the practical purpose they did back in the 1920's, are you ok with solid high socks since they serve essentially the same aesthetic purpose of the 1920's look? Also remember the earliest stirrups were cut as low as possible because the sanitary sock was originally meant to be hidden. 

For me there's a continuum:

*  stirrups are better than 2-in-1s

*  2-in-1s are better than solid socks

-- one-colour solid socks are better than excessively striped solid socks

*  solid socks are better than no sock showing

And it is true that the original purpose of the sanitary sock was to be hidden.  That makes no difference to me; I judge it purely on aesthetics.  Let's note that the original purpose of football helmets and hockey goalie masks was just for protection; but these things became part of the aesthetic of each of those sports.  And likewise for the socks in baseball.  The look of the pant leg in white or grey, with the coloured stirrup sock below it, with the white sannie below that, and then the shoe, this is what defines the aesthetic of baseball.

(The A's put their own spin on this by making the sannies yellow.  Their uniforms were amazing because, even though they violated many of the ordinary rules of good taste in baseball uniforms, they still looked great.  This reminds us that all "rules" are really guidelines that will have to admit of some degree of variation.) 

The way to wear the socks that I find most aesthetically pleasing is when the pant leg comes down to mid-calf, so that the arch of the stirrups can be seen in front and in back.  (This is why real stirrups are better than 2-in-1s.)  

Image result for roy white yankees   Image result for bill north a's

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

So wait, if all the socks are available to all teams can't in theory a team wear a different team's color socks as long as it doesn't have a logo? If all the designs don't have to be uniform who even says they have to be the same color? Maybe someone can wear socks that are a team's secondary color but are different than everyone else's socks, like say someone on the Twins wears red socks when the rest of the team is wearing navy socks? I want someone to do that to shake this stupidity up even more. 

The whole Stance sock thing seems so half-assed. Some teams have team specific socks (A's or Dodgers). Some use generic multi-colored (Orioles/Giants). Why doesn't each team have its own design with its logo?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

And it is true that the original purpose of the sanitary sock was to be hidden.  That makes no difference to me; I judge it purely on aesthetics.  Let's note that the original purpose of football helmets and hockey goalie masks was just for protection; but these things became part of the aesthetic of each of those sports.  And likewise for the socks in baseball.

Yeah but the purpose of football helmets and goalie masks (head/face protection) still exists today. The purpose of stirrups (to block colored dyes from the outer sock) no longer exists. The aesthetic purposes of the stirrups (showing team colors, keeping pant legs high, and looking like a traditional baseball uniform) are still there with the high socks. Granted you're saying your personal preference and that's great too but I don't see why a solid colored high sock can't replace a stirrup.

10 minutes ago, jmac11281 said:

The whole Stance sock thing seems so half-assed. Some teams have team specific socks (A's or Dodgers). Some use generic multi-colored (Orioles/Giants). Why doesn't each team have its own design with its logo?

Every team does have their own design with their logo, it's just up to them whether or not to use them. There are other options available, whether it's the solid-colored socks or the socks with the more generic designs and striping patterns, and it's up to each team, or even each individual, which socks to wear.

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

6 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yeah but the purpose of football helmets and goalie masks (head/face protection) still exists today. The purpose of stirrups (to block colored dyes from the outer sock) no longer exists. The aesthetic purposes of the stirrups are still there with the high socks. Granted you're saying your personal preference and that's great too but I don't see why a solid colored high sock can't replace a stirrup.

I would have to agree with this. There's no reason for stirrups in this day in age other than maybe throwback games but even then, a sock stylized to look like stirrups works there too...

Archived