2016-17 NHL Season: Happy 100th Birthday, National Hockey League

Unocal

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The house was empty for the celebrity game because no one knew it was happening until you got there. Chris Pronger pinning Justin Bieber to the boards was a highlight. Scott Niedermayer and Teemu Selanne in Kings jerseys was... *shudder*

Highlight of the competition was either Kesler's kid scoring, McDavid's speed or Mike Smith's full-rink shot.

It was fun to be at, if a little dull. Losing the Breakaway Challenge was a killer on the in-arena experience, as was all the commercial breaks.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

4 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

It was fun to be at, if a little dull. Losing the Breakaway Challenge was a killer on the in-arena experience, as was all the commercial breaks.

Yeah, if you're in the building, there's a lot of down time compared to action.  When you watch these things on television, you're not seeing all the equipment being set up that the fans in the building can see.  Now the action is pretty good, but there's also a lot of waiting too.  It can drag on a bit.

That 4-line competition has to be one-and-done, right?  That was, by far, the worst event.  And it took a 200-foot shot from it being a complete disaster.  It either needs major tweaking or just be scrapped altogether.  Either bring back the Breakaway Contest or the Young Stars game or something....that sucked.

2 hours ago, HedleyLamarr said:

Yeah, if you're in the building, there's a lot of down time compared to action.  When you watch these things on television, you're not seeing all the equipment being set up that the fans in the building can see.  Now the action is pretty good, but there's also a lot of waiting too.  It can drag on a bit.

That 4-line competition has to be one-and-done, right?  That was, by far, the worst event.  And it took a 200-foot shot from it being a complete disaster.  It either needs major tweaking or just be scrapped altogether.  Either bring back the Breakaway Contest or the Young Stars game or something....that sucked.

Well if it is, it was 100% better than the trick shot crap that they forced down our throats for the past few years. It wasn't fun, it was awkward. If you want to do something fun, how about having the pee wee age kids of the players play a full ice game. Those are always fun and enjoyable between periods.

I think the league may have actually found something with this 3-on-3 divisional tournament format. It's fun to watch and the players somewhat try because 3-on-3 forces players to try and because of the increased incentives. The last regular All Star game was a total bore. 

I was in my living room fist pumping for the Metro goals like it mattered and seeing Crosby play with Ovechkin was pretty cool. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I kinda like the format as well. It was clear to see where the best talent lies in terms of divisions.

I just wish there was just a little more defense here. I get that it's 3-on-3, but there's no excuse to allow 10 goals at any time.

Lambert may be DSA but he's still a terrible writer who just rips off the same Twitter memes everyone else rips off.

What We Learned: Should the NHL switch to 4-on-4 hockey?

No. The end. What's that law about questions in headlines?

Carolina Hurricanes: Can someone please just buy this team so it can be run properly going forward? They’re building something great but seem to need some help in addition to time.

p o s s e s s i o n...

Chicago: None of Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, or Duncan Keith are even close to being in the 100 best players in the history of the league. This is idiotic. All the people that complain about too many mediocre-ass Canadiens in the getting into the HHOF and so on because they won those Cups, well, this is your generation’s dumbass take on the same theme.

wah wah

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Report: Barclays Center Preparing To Boot Islanders

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/01/30/barclays-center-evict-islanders/

Hmm..... may be a blessing in disguise. That place is horrible for hockey. Barclay's apparently has an out-clause after 2018-19, so if the Isles got moving on that discussed arena near Citi Field, they'd have time to get 'er done.

sig.png

The Islanders are most likely staying in New York. This might be Barclays trying to get a more favorable agreement with the team. Or it could be the beginning of them steering the Islanders back to the Coliseum, which they control, rather than having the new owners build a competing arena at Belmont Park in Nassau or near Citi Field in Queens, both of which they have talked about. Neither side is happy with the current arrangement, and there's basically nothing new here. Except we're not focusing in the big picture. If this is indeed the beginning of the end of the Islanders in Brooklyn, we might never have to see those hideous black mime costumes again after this year.

St. Louis Blues create an awkward and convoluted "farewell season" to avoid firing Ken Hitchcock, end up firing him anyway. The Blues have fired all of the top four winningest coaches in NHL coaching history. They have zero Stanley Cups.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

32 minutes ago, Sodboy13 said:

St. Louis Blues create an awkward and convoluted "farewell season" to avoid firing Ken Hitchcock, end up firing him anyway. The Blues have fired all of the top four winningest coaches in NHL coaching history. They have zero Stanley Cups.

I died when I saw this

PvO6ZWJ.png

I harbor no ill-will to the Blues, but considering they acted like they won the cup in their victory over the Blackhawks last season, this pleases me.  Mike Yeo will surely take them to the promised land, just as he did so many times with the Wild.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

35 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I harbor no ill-will to the Blues, but considering they acted like they won the cup in their victory over the Blackhawks last season, this pleases me.  Mike Yeo will surely take them to the promised land, just as he did so many times with the Wild.  

If the Wild don't have their annual swoon this year, I think we may know what changed...

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived