Biggest Sports Rivalries

Nick 1733

In honor of FSN's "Sports List" Sports Best Rivalries, what do you all think are the best/worst/biggest rivalries in sports.

Here are mine:

NFL

Steelers - Browns

Cowboys - Redskins

Packers - Bears

Broncos - Raiders

Titans - Jaguars

Raiders - Chiefs

Giants - Cowboys

Dolphins - Patriots

Vikings - Packers

NHL

Avalanche - Red Wings

Bruins - Canadiens

Maple Leafs - Senators

Rangers - Islanders

Canucks - Avalanche

Stars - Avalanche

NBA

Nuggets - Timberwolves

Lakers - Spurs

Pistons - Nets

MLB

Yankees - Red Sox

Cubs - Cardinals

Giants - Dodgers

Braves - Phillies

Those are the ones I'm aware of, any others that I didn't mention, feel free to say so. (Applies to CURRENT one's, not past one's)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could NY Rangers-Flyers and Eagles-Cowboys as well as Celtics-76ers NOT be on that list?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Carolina vs. Duke in basketball, if we can include college.

semperfi.gif

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the

press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of

speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us

the freedom to demonstrate. And it is the soldier who salutes the

flag, serves beneath the flag, whose coffin is draped by the flag, and

who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Marine Chaplain Dennis Edward O' Brien

Thats not fair skate- starting off a tiopic by picking up all the biggest rivalries!!

Ha ha

well from what I know the biggest rivalries

MLB Red Sox v Yankees

NBA celtic v Lakers

NFL dunno how about Cowboys v Giants??

NHL Leafs v habs

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Did you leave any teams out in the NFL? :)

I'd have to say at least in baseball, the two biggest (and longest more than likely) rivalries are Red Sox/Yankees and Cubs/Cardinals. They've been heated and well contested pretty much throughout both of them. Yes the yankees have many more rings than the sox as well as the cardinals more than the cubs. But the Cubs actually lead the alltime series between the teams. Those are my two in baseball.

Football, I've got to say of course Bears/Packers. They've been playing each other since before the Bears were even in chicago. (Decatur Bears for those of you that didn't know) Also Packers/Vikings as well. I'm a midwesterner so those are the big ones to me. Of course whoever your favorite team is, the team you hate and your team is the biggest rivalry.

You've got Detriot/colorado in the NHL but that one has cooled off in reality. So I'd have to go with Leafs/Habs.

Basketball, Lakers/Kings recently. Celts/76ers not as recently.

College, gotta be Duke Carolina Basketball, Michigan/Ohio state football, Miami/Florida State Football, and Walbash/DePauw D3 football. Sorry small time schools but LOOOOOOONG Rivalry. Texas/Texas A&M football. Carthage/Illinois Wesleyan and Unity High/St. Joe High (just kidding on the last two :D)

Man U. and everyone else is a pretty good one over there right saintsfan? :)

Man Utd do have lots of rivalries- there cross city opponents in manchester City, the Manchester/Liverpool things means united v Liverpool is a big contest, United v Leeds is lancashire v Yorkshire, so a big rivalry, then there is man Utd V Arsenal as the two most succesful teams recently, so yeah pretty much Man U v anybody!!

In soccer you could put celtic v rangers as a big big rivalry, barcelona v real madrid would be another.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

CC97 vs. TLM44 ..... no wait ..... take that back..... MoJoTo vs. Paynomind .....uhhh...

I think the Leafs - Habs rivalry has lost some luster because they have not met in the post-season in a long time. Avs vs. Red Wings would the best rivalry in NHL right now.

I don't want to say this, but the Yankees-Red Sox is the best rivalry in baseball. I think the Giants and Dodgers is a good rivalry as well. I don't quite understand the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry except for the geographical locations between them. Perhaps I should live there to figure it out.

Remember Chicago vs. new york, and New York vs. Miami in the 90's? Loved them.

As for football? Tough to say. Cowboys and Redskins is always a natural fit.

I saw, I came, I left.

I know you all have said Leafs/Habs... but that has indeed lost it's luster. Leafs/Senators is the biggest rivalry in the NHL today. No doubt about it.

The NFL has so many good rivalries... Cowboys/Giants, Bears/Packers, Raiders/Broncos, Dolphins/Bills to name a few.

The NBA... I would say right now... Lakers/Kings. That may loose it's intensity now with Shaq in Miami.

The MLB... Red Sox/Yankees. Nothing else is even close.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Man Utd do have lots of rivalries- there cross city opponents in manchester City, the Manchester/Liverpool things means united v Liverpool is a big contest, United v Leeds is lancashire v Yorkshire, so a big rivalry, then there is man Utd V Arsenal as the two most succesful teams recently, so yeah pretty much Man U v anybody!!

In soccer you could put celtic v rangers as a big big rivalry, barcelona v real madrid would be another.

On that English football tip, let's also not forget Spurs/ARSEnal, Spurs/Chelsea, Newcastle/Sunderland, and the one saintsfan has a vested interest in, Southampton/Portsmouth...

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

One thing that bums me out as a Pirates fan is that, being stuck in the NL Central and being so bad for so long, the Bucs have been pulled away from their traditional rivals. I haven't really seen them develop any new rivalries, though there's old bad blood with Cincy from the 70s. I miss hating the Mets and the Phillies.

Anyway, here's my list of favorite rivalries:

Steelers/Brownies (Hi Fuse!)

Steelers/Ravens

Steelers/Cowboys

Penguins/Flyers (they don't care about us, but we hate them with a passion)

Penguins/Rangers

Penguins/Islanders (especially in the playoffs)

Penguins/Capitals (this REALLY heats up at playoff time)

Pirates/Barry Bonds (the rest of the Giants are OK guys)

Pitt/Penn State (I was born in Pittsburgh, but I'm from a Penn State family)

Pitt/West Virginia

Virginia Tech/U. of Virginia (I'm a Hokie fan... I hate UVa)

piratesSig.gif

OWNER -- Pittsburgh Spiders (UL) * Dynamo Missouri (PLA) * Montreal Maroons (SHL)

Man Utd do have lots of rivalries- there cross city opponents in manchester City, the Manchester/Liverpool things means united v Liverpool is a big contest, United v Leeds is lancashire v Yorkshire, so a big rivalry, then there is  man Utd V Arsenal as the two most succesful teams recently, so yeah pretty much Man U v anybody!!

On that English football tip, let's also not forget Spurs/ARSEnal, Spurs/Chelsea, Newcastle/Sunderland, and the one saintsfan has a vested interest in, Southampton/Portsmouth...

True, I was talking on a big global scale as virtually every soccer team has a bitter local rival, Birmingham and Aston villa, Sheffiled Wedenesday and Sheffield United, Watford and luton, Brightin and Crystal palace, Stoke City and port Vale (get the idea yet???)

Probably the biggest rvalries in the Premiership right now are Spurs and Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool, Man Utd and Man Citry , and the triumvirate at the top of the table Man United, Arsenal and Chelsea. As for the Super Saints against the Pompey Sc*m, well I think I am right in saying Portsmouth haven't won a competitive game against Southampton since, i think, 1987.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

MoJoTo vs. Paynomind
:lol:

I've got to agree with Braden, the Sens-Leafs rivalry is easily the biggest in the NHL. For the past 4 or 5 years there's been really good competition between Ottawa, Toronto, Philly and Jersey.

Back when the Rangers were good the Devils-Rangers Rivalry was great. The 2 arena's are seperated by only 5 miles. And the 2 teams hated each other. In recent years it's cooled down becuase the Rangers suck. There was one point were the Devils were unbeaten in 20 something games against the Rangers. That's what cooled odwn the rivalry. Now I would put Devils-Flyers on the list. In fact all the teams are so close I would just put the entire Atlantic Division on the list.

I wouldn't say that Pats-Dolphins is that big a rivalry. They're important games because they're in the same division, but if anyone in the division is a bigger rival it would be the Jets, considering all the crap that went down with Parcells and Curstis Martin.

For baseball, there's Red Sox Yankees

then wayyyy down the line, Cards-Cubs and Giants-Dodgers

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

A lot of people might not notice this, but the Falcons and Buccaneers really really HATE each other... You know it's bad when the Jay Feely, the Falcons kicker, taunted Warren Sapp last year... IN TAMPA BAY

Freddy vs. Jason. :evil:

I kid. The sports ones (NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, NCAA), Top 3 style...

NFL:

Cowboys-Redskins

Packers-Vikings

Bronco-Raiders-Chiefs

NBA:

Kings-Mavs

Lakers-Kings

Knicks-Bulls

MLB (no interleague):

Yankees-Red Sox

Cardinals-Cubs

Giants-Dodgers

NHL (just guessing with this one):

Islanders-Rangers

Avalanche-Red Wings

Stars-Sharks

NCAA:

Army-Navy

Texas-Texas A&M

Oklahoma-Texas

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Archived