The Pointless Realignment Outpost

Lee.

Here is a five-division arrangement for the NHL (assuming PHX to QUE)

Pacific: VAN, CAL, EDM, SJ, LA, ANA

Central: COL, MIN, WPG, STL, CHI, DAL

East: DET, CBJ, NAS, CAR, TB, FL

Atlantic: NYR, NYI, NJ, PIT, PHI, WSH

North: OTT, QUE, TOR, MON, BUF, BOS

VAN still gets to be with Calgary and Edmonton.

DAL gets away from many games on West Coast.

MIN reunites with old rivals WPG, CHI, and STL.

DET and CBJ now in division mostly with teams in same time zone.

Atlantic stays together and is reunited with WSH.

North (formerly NE) stays together and adds QUE.

Play your division 6x. (30 games)

Play everyone else 2x. (48 games)

Four games based on previous years standings, a la NFL (play one extra game against other non-division teams finishing in same position). 4x

Works out to 82 games.

Playoffs:

Division winners+11 wild cards.

Seeding: Based on points only, with caveat that division winners cannot be seeded below 8th (the reward for winning division is home ice in at least one round, but good teams in other divisions can have a higher seed in later rounds).

Reseed for 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Format: If teams are more than one time zone apart, format is 2-3-2.

For cross-country match ups, west coast teams will be required to start Mon-Thurs. games at 6 local time, and central/east coast teams 8:00 local time to make it easier for fans of the road team to watch the games.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

And for good reason. If you can have all divisions with an equal amount of teams there is no reason not to. It's silly imo to have some divisions with 7 and some with 8.

Not if the objective is to actually build rivalries (and thus, fan enthusiasm in the league). You missed the point that the first two rounds of the playoffs will be played in the divisions. Honestly, this likely will be the alignment the league goes through with; with the move of Phoenix to Quebec you can keep the sacred Conference playoffs and make everyone happy.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's how the NHL should realign:

Eastern Conference

Atlantic Division

Bruins, Rangers, Isles, Devils, Caps, Canes, Panthers, Bolts

Northeast Division

Leafs, Sens, Habs, Nords (Coyotes), Sabres, Pens, Flyers, Blue Jackets

Western Confernce

Central Division

Jets, Wild, Blackhawks, Red Wings, Blues, Preds, Stars, Kansas City (expansion)

West Division

Oilers, Flames, Canucks, Avs, Kings, Ducks, Sharks, Seattle (expansion)

The NHL is not expanding. Not now. Not ever. And if they do, it will be the death of the league.

I, for one, disagree.

I think a 32-team NHL would be a good idea if done right.

With that said...

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Canada East

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques (expansion)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Columbus Blue Jackets (moving over from Western Conference)

Pittsburgh Penguins

Atlantic

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders (Brooklyn)

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Canada West

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Jets

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Milwaukee Admirals (expansion)

Minnesota Wild

Midwest

Colorado Avalanche

Dallas Stars

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

Phoenix Coyotes

San Jose Sharks

That was from the 'if the Coyotes stay in Phoenix' scenario.

And now for the 'Phoenix Coyotes move to Quebec City' scenario.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Canada East

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators

Quebec Nordiques (former Phoenix Coyotes)

Toronto Maple Leafs

Northeast

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres

Columbus Blue Jackets (moving over from Western Conference)

Pittsburgh Penguins

Atlantic

New Jersey Devils

New York Islanders (Brooklyn)

New York Rangers

Philadelphia Flyers

Southeast

Carolina Hurricanes

Florida Panthers

Tampa Bay Lightning

Washington Capitals

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Canada West

Calgary Flames

Edmonton Oilers

Vancouver Canucks

Winnipeg Jets

Central

Chicago Blackhawks

Detroit Red Wings

Milwaukee Admirals (expansion)

Minnesota Wild

Midwest

Colorado Avalanche

Dallas Stars

Nashville Predators

St. Louis Blues

Pacific

Anaheim Ducks

Los Angeles Kings

Portland/Seattle Cascades

San Jose Sharks

YOZXkBG.png?1

Baseball's playoff expansion, while a good idea to me, still doesn't give the Jays a fair shot at the playoffs because there are 3 teams almost guaranteed to be in front of them in their division.

So I say, move Tampa to the NL East, since they have so little history. Then move a team that's been similarily mediocre of late into the AL East, to balance things out. I'll take the Mets, since they have "only" had 50 seasons of play, much like the already scheduled to move Astros.

New AL East: Toronto, Boston, Yankees, (playoff contenders) Mets, Baltimore (also-ran)

New NL East: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, (playoff contenders) Washington, Miami (also-ran)

Baseball's playoff expansion, while a good idea to me, still doesn't give the Jays a fair shot at the playoffs because there are 3 teams almost guaranteed to be in front of them in their division.

So I say, move Tampa to the NL East, since they have so little history. Then move a team that's been similarily mediocre of late into the AL East, to balance things out. I'll take the Mets, since they have "only" had 50 seasons of play, much like the already scheduled to move Astros.

New AL East: Toronto, Boston, Yankees, (playoff contenders) Mets, Baltimore (also-ran)

New NL East: Philadelphia, Atlanta, Tampa, (playoff contenders) Washington, Miami (also-ran)

They're not gonna put both NY teams in one league. And who cares if it doesn't benefit Toronto to be in a division with 3 better teams? Get better. Don't move teams around just to give one team a better chance.

They're not gonna put both NY teams in one league.

Why wouldn't they? It's RE-alignment. This isn't something you are coming up with, it's something someone else is coming up with.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Why wouldn't they? It's RE-alignment. This isn't something you are coming up with, it's something someone else is coming up with.

Yes, and when you post it in here, it's up for discussion and other people's opinions. And I'm stating, as both opinion and to a degree nearly fact, that, unless you're completely splitting the league into an East-West format, having both NY teams in the same league does not make any sense. In baseball, with the two different types of play between the two leagues, when you have two teams in one market, you split them up so as to appeal to fans of both leagues. THAT'S why they brought in the Mets to replace the Dodgers and Giants in the first place, to get another NL team back in New York.

Yes, and when you post it in here, it's up for discussion and other people's opinions. And I'm stating, as both opinion and to a degree nearly fact, that, unless you're completely splitting the league into an East-West format, having both NY teams in the same league does not make any sense. In baseball, with the two different types of play between the two leagues, when you have two teams in one market, you split them up so as to appeal to fans of both leagues. THAT'S why they brought in the Mets to replace the Dodgers and Giants in the first place, to get another NL team back in New York.

It's not as big of a deal as you're making it, though. The Phillies and Pirates are in the same league, and soon, the Astros and Rangers will be in the same division. Yes, I realize that those are same-state teams and not same-city teams, but if MLB were that hellbent on keeping same-city teams in different leagues, then they'd do the same with same-state teams. Apparently they don't care as much as you think they do. Having same-city teams in the same league isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

It's not as big of a deal as you're making it, though. The Phillies and Pirates are in the same league, and soon, the Astros and Rangers will be in the same division. Yes, I realize that those are same-state teams and not same-city teams, but if MLB were that hellbent on keeping same-city teams in different leagues, then they'd do the same with same-state teams. Apparently they don't care as much as you think they do. Having same-city teams in the same league isn't that far out of the realm of possibility.

It's because TV deals are sometimes split along league lines (just like in the NFL where its split by conference). If the Yankees and Mets were in the same league, NYC would end up with no local coverage of the National League. Now, a New Yorker can tune into two different channels and see an NL game or an AL game.

Not to mention the biggest issue with the Mets moving over in exchange for the Rays is that over time, that division is going to be even more brutal for the Jays. The Mets might suck now, but they're still in a HUGE market and will be able to afford a lot of good players once their asshat ownership situation is sorted out. The Rays, on the other hand, will always be dirtpoor... the overacheiving will probably end eventually.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

As aci illustrated, there is a vast difference between same-state and same-market teams.

As aci illustrated, there is a vast difference between same-state and same-market teams.

You'll have to agree to disagree.

There have been enough nutty things to happen in the history of pro sports realignment, and just pro sports administration in general, that you can't really count same-city teams in the same division out. It's one of those things like Interleague Play or the Astros moving to the AL West. It might seem crazy 5 years prior, and then BAM, it happens, and people just get used to it.

Until I see an official MLB rule stating that two teams from the same city can't be in the same league, your argument does not hold much water. Just because you don't think it should happen, doesn't mean it can't happen.

You'll have to agree to disagree.

There have been enough nutty things to happen in the history of pro sports realignment, and just pro sports administration in general, that you can't really count same-city teams in the same division out. It's one of those things like Interleague Play or the Astros moving to the AL West. It might seem crazy 5 years prior, and then BAM, it happens, and people just get used to it.

Until I see an official MLB rule stating that two teams from the same city can't be in the same league, your argument does not hold much water. Just because you don't think it should happen, doesn't mean it can't happen.

I'LL have to agree to disagree? Self righteous much? It's more likely that, in the current AL-NL format we WON'T see it happening for reasons that have been explained. The Astros switching leagues, albeit stupid, makes more sense than two same city teams in the same league.

It's probably also worth mentioning that when the Phillies and Pirates started out in the same league, there was only one major league. The AL didn't exist yet.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

It's probably also worth mentioning that when the Phillies and Pirates started out in the same league, there was only one major league. The AL didn't exist yet.

That and then there was a Phiadelphia team in the AL as well as the NL.

Oh, I didn't realize we were still talking about this.

Again though, if it were that big of a problem, the MLB would figure out a way to get PIT and PHL in different leagues over all these years.

Judging by the fact that these same-state teams are still in the same league, it's not as big of a deal as some people are making it.

That and then there was a Phiadelphia team in the AL as well as the NL.

Oh, I didn't realize we were still talking about this.

Again though, if it were that big of a problem, the MLB would figure out a way to get PIT and PHL in different leagues over all these years.

Judging by the fact that these same-state teams are still in the same league, it's not as big of a deal as some people are making it.

For the upteenth time, there is a big difference between same-state and same-city teams. Same-city teams are two teams in one market. Same-state teams are two teams in the same state. As in the case with the Penn teams, there is usually a great distance between them, which is not the case with same-city teams. Big difference. There's no rule against it because it's just something that's common sense. There's also no rule against a team in the Artic Circle, but the likelihood of it happening is basically nonexistent.

Same-city teams are two teams in one market. Same-state teams are two teams in the same state.

I know the difference. Everyone knows the difference. It's been established. But thanks anyway. Feel free to keep repeating that though, if it helps you.

There's no rule against it because it's just something that's common sense. There's also no rule against a team in the Artic Circle, but the likelihood of it happening is basically nonexistent.

Leave ridiculous comparisons out of it. The odds of two same-city teams ending up in the same league is MUCH higher than the odds of a team being placed in the Arctic Circle. You sure you want to be the one introducing the concept of "common sense" into this discussion?