Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tlmac55 said:

Stumbled across this on twitter. Looks like the helmets that were possibly used for the promo video. Looks to be glossy black and not matte/satin https://twitter.com/julianlegaspiii/status/985580677771997185?s=21

btw I’ve read all 85 pages of this thread. Finally decided to post in it. Huge jags fan so this uniform change is kinda a big deal to me lol

Welcome!

There was this tidbit in an article a few weeks ago that says the helmets will have a gloss finish.

The team spent part of last year designing new uniforms. The revamped ones will be unveiled April 19 at the team's annual state of the franchise address. Most notably, the Jags are adding more teal to the jerseys and eliminating the two-tone helmets that had become as much a reason for ridicule in recent years as the team's woeful record. The first version of the helmet was matte black.

Coughlin vetoed that color, instead opting for an old-school, shiny-black look.

"It was just a feeling of who we are, what we represent," Coughlin said. "That's a very good look. It's a solid look. As I said at one point in time, we have some guys that will be in the Hall of Fame and the connection will be very similar as we go forward. We just wanted a little bolder statement, and I think we got it."\

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/27/jaguars-coughlin-adjusts-to-new-role-welcomes-expectations/33335869/

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

9 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

Obviously this is not from the Jaguars

It is from the Jaguars. It is from one of their original proposed color schemes. It's a Neon Teal. (Colors courtesy of ColorWerx.)

Untitled.png

Jacksonville_Jaguars_1993.png

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

6 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

It is from the Jaguars. It is from one of their original proposed color schemes. It's a Neon Teal. (Colors courtesy of ColorWerx.)

I think he meant the name "wintergreen" wasn't coming from the Jaguars, not necessarily the color itself

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

9 minutes ago, j'villejags said:

Welcome!

There was this tidbit in an article a few weeks ago that says the helmets will have a gloss finish.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/27/jaguars-coughlin-adjusts-to-new-role-welcomes-expectations/33335869/

Yea I read that too but I’ve also seen several people with their “Ive spoke to so and so’s” say they are matte. Also that promo video they released yesterday, to me at least, looked like satin black paint. Guess these pics allbut confirm the gloss black though. 

2 hours ago, RussJag said:

100% agree with you, Grimlock. If I'm picturing black jerseys with white numbers without a border, then we're basically the Miami Sharks with maybe teal nike swoosh marks. That early March render of teal on black looks awesome. Give a thin white border on the teal numbers then. The reasoning because it's hard for press box or upper deck to see clearly sounds, I dunno, kind of weak. Whatever, just give me Thursday.

Assuming their teal is functionally too dark to work on black (and also assuming the sleeve detailing is teal as reported), I think bright metallic gold numbers would be interesting on the dark jerseys rather than white. You’re right that these are definitely going to have an “Any Given Sunday” vibe if they end up mostly black and white with very little teal and gold. That was actually my first thought when I saw the leak of the white uniform.

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

It's not weak. Dark numbers on dark jerseys are hard to read, especially for spotters who have to determine if it's an 8 or a 9, or a 5 or a 6, in a split second. And coaches don't want to spend extra time in film review trying to figure out which number is which.

To echo this point, watching game film is a big factor in this. I believe that’s the main reason the Browns opt to not wear the brown jerseys; it’s a pain for coaches to evaluate when they have to watch everything more times than needed to get all the info they need.

54 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

Classic would be using one of the original proposed color schemes.

default_wub2.png

Untitled.png

Although it probably makes their color scheme more similar to the Dolphins, I really like it. To be honest, if they used that teal color, they might actually be able to get away with teal on black.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

3 minutes ago, tlmac55 said:

Yea I read that too but I’ve also seen several people with their “Ive spoke to so and so’s” say they are matte. Also that promo video they released yesterday, to me at least, looked like satin black paint. Guess these pics allbut confirm the gloss black though. 

I'm hoping for a satin finish but would be okay with a true gloss finish as well. 

Satin black has some shine to it -- 

59f29ccf1a918.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

-- and would make the most sense considering we've heard it could be matte and it could also be gloss. Satin can look like a little of both. I think they could be describing the same helmet in different ways. 

My NFL concept series (in progress) --ATL, CLE, NE, WAS done. AZ updated 04/21/23.

2 hours ago, ColJag said:

Correct. You have to remember uniforms aren't just viewed from a merchandising prospective, though it certainly plays a big role, they still have to actually be worn and played in.

Some may recall the debacle that was the '97 Jags original numbering. 

The Jags' original numbering was just a terrible font/drop shadow combination. It wasn't illegible because of a lack of contrast.

nXX8gBP.png

It's also worth noting that the teal uniforms had white numbers with no drop shadow that provided sufficient contrast. They only wore those once in the preseason, against the 49ers on August 18, 1997:

49ers-Jaguars-1997-004.jpg

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

37 minutes ago, tlmac55 said:

Stumbled across this on twitter. Looks like the helmets that were possibly used for the promo video. Looks to be glossy black and not matte/satin https://twitter.com/julianlegaspiii/status/985580677771997185?s=21

btw I’ve read all 85 pages of this thread. Finally decided to post in it. Huge jags fan so this uniform change is kinda a big deal to me lol

Thanks for posting this tweet. I’m guessing the team just bought some black paint to pour on the helmets though. I personally don’t put any stock into the type of black paint they are having players pour on the helmets. 

39 minutes ago, TornadoGTS said:

I think he meant the name "wintergreen" wasn't coming from the Jaguars, not necessarily the color itself

I think you are right. My bad.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

19 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

The Jags' original numbering was just a terrible font/drop shadow combination. It wasn't illegible because of a lack of contrast.

nXX8gBP.png

The font here has more to do with the issue than anything else.. It's a bit too narrow and the drop shadow is too thick.. More negative space within the 8 would improve its legibility tremendously.. The dark number + dark drop shadow on white is actually a pretty successful combination if the drop shadow doesn't overwhelm the form of the numbers

57 minutes ago, whitedawg22 said:

It's also worth noting that the teal uniforms had white numbers with no drop shadow that provided sufficient contrast. They only wore those once in the preseason, against the 49ers on August 18, 1997:

49ers-Jaguars-1997-004.jpg

Those numbers ^^^ were the regular 97-07 numbers

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Archived