Jacksonville Jaguars rumored for new uniforms in 2018

JagAaron33

I believe Gupti first brought this news in the 2017 NFL thread.  Credit to him for putting it here first.  I have just typed it up and included a few links to Twitter threads.

According to Twitter account @madebytim, the Jacksonville Jaguars will be changing uniforms next offseason.

The current talk is that this information is being disseminated during stadium tours, although there is no current official word.  This is the 5th year of the current set so a change is possible.

A quick rundown of the rumors indicate that Tom Coughlin has some significant input into the process, with the knowledge that he wants something "more traditional," does not like the emphasis on the gold and wants more teal in the design, and that this will be a complete change of the look.

There are quite possibly some elements that could stay (the current away uniform is a pretty incredible update of the classic away uniform), including the "JAGS shield."  

One thing that is pretty much a sure change is the helmet.  

Both Tim of the @madebytim Twitter and Alfie Crow of Big Cat Country, the Jags' SB Nation site, have said they were sitting on the news.  Link: https://twitter.com/MadeByTim/status/913435220334010369

Initial thread here:

A bit more from London trip here:

Most of the info can be found by clicking around that Twitter account.  Again, nothing official but exciting to get rid of that helmet.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In a vacuum, the number font, wordmark, and logo should stay. 

Helmet should be black, preferably in satin finish like the Vikings.  Jerseys go back to teal primary, black secondary, with a hint of gold.

...and get rid of the Jags shield patch.  Too cluttered.

at this point they should design new uniforms every 5 years, similar to how Oregon does it. they've never stuck with anything long enough to really build a signature look and everything they've worn has been trendy for its time. i'd hate to see them emphasize teal though, i think if theres one thing to keep consistent its a color hierarchy with a focus on black and gold, using teal as a trim. Teal is a better alt jersey color than gold, but they shouldnt push it so much as to look like Dolphins knock-offs.  

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Rumors I've heard include new uniforms next year, the current design with teal alternate coming back to be worn more than once in 5 years, and even a throwback design to be worn later this season.

I have my doubts about most of these. The thinking is Tom Coughlin wanted more of what he had when he coached. But as we all know, it takes about 2 years to get through all this, and TC has only been in Jax a year.

I don't see the logo changing at all. The wordmark very well could, though. I honestly wouldn't mind keeping and tweaking the current uniforms, but having a solid color helmet - whether it be gold or black, just pick one.

"I believe in Auburn and love it!"

ojNNazQ.jpg

The helmet experimentation era needs to stop.  I hate their Fox Kids Saturday Morning logos and the military/shield bullcrap needs to go.  

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

1 hour ago, 406Cane said:

I always thought these were the best, personally, but I may be in the minority.  Bad memories from that 62-7 Divisional game as a Fins fan, but I loved this era of Jags unis:

FredTaylorRun.jpg

I'm with you, this was a great uniform.

Don't go full throwback, but "modernize" this a bit, and there you are.

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Browns and Jags could be changing as soon as they're able. 

Good job, Nike!

The diehards have to buy even more jerseys for more cash money. Evil genius like this and New Coke only comes around so often.

8 minutes ago, rjrrzube said:

I'm with you, this was a great uniform.

Don't go full throwback, but "modernize" this a bit, and there you are.

Definitely. There's a few tweaks you can make with it to "update" it, but it looks exponentially better than what they've trotted out there the last decade or so. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

The Browns and Jags could be changing as soon as they're able. 

Good job, Nike!

Marketing at its finest. People are always going to buy things to "keep up", even if it looks like a Putrid Moldy Garbage Can. They'll be cutting edge and can show off to their friends the newest gadgets, gizmos, and whacked out threads that they can consume.

Then an update will happen again, and the cycle will repeat itself.

My prediction? The new uniforms we'll see from Cleveland and Jacksonville will look a lot like the old (traditional) ones, but will look *just* different enough to warrant buying the new jerseys. 

3 hours ago, AstroBull21 said:

In a vacuum, the number font, wordmark, and logo should stay. 

Helmet should be black, preferably in satin finish like the Vikings.  Jerseys go back to teal primary, black secondary, with a hint of gold.

...and get rid of the Jags shield patch.  Too cluttered.

Just curious - why do you think it ought to be a satin finish?  I personally despise non-polished finishes on helmets (or overly polished [i.e., chrome] finishes).

Put another way - sell me on why satin, matte, or chrome finishes aren't just the 2010 version of the leisure suit.

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, 406Cane said:

I always thought these were the best, personally, but I may be in the minority.  Bad memories from that 62-7 Divisional game as a Fins fan, but I loved this era of Jags unis:

FredTaylorRun.jpg

This base with the shield on the sleeves and current numbers would look great. If they get black pants, add striped socks to avoid the leotard look they had. And never wear all black vs Pittsburgh or Baltimore. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Just curious - why do you think it ought to be a satin finish?  I personally despise non-polished finishes on helmets (or overly polished [i.e., chrome] finishes).

Put another way - sell me on why satin, matte, or chrome finishes aren't just the 2010 version of the leisure suit.

I don't know I guess with me its personal preference  Should all teams use satin helmets, no.  I just think it looks better than the mattes shells, and the chrome should be limited to accents (ie. logo decals and facemasks)

4 hours ago, 406Cane said:

FredTaylorRun.jpg

I feel you man.  I actually have one of those jerseys in my closet, got it at some thrift shop.  It's a gold mine for random jerseys/hats/shirts/whatever.

"It is better to have fought and lost than to not have fought at all."

7 hours ago, 406Cane said:

FredTaylorRun.jpg

I've been lurking on this site for years, this topic is the reason I joined. I agree 100% this is the best the jags have ever looked. This in my opinion would put the jags sets as one best looks in the league. Scrap the gold helmets and everything else and go back to traditional late 90s early 2000s look. To me the jags and dolphins are perfect candidates for going full throwback. 

Archived