Your most prized card.

Brass

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I long for the days of old when each brand made only one card set, there were no inserts, and each team had about 20 players represented on cards.

Now you have 500 brands all producing the same star players... You know how long it was before I saw a card of Glenn Healy with the Leafs? He played here for at least 5 seasons and had maybe one card.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

1980-81 Ray Bourque OPC Rookie

1984-85 Steve Yzerman OPC Rookie

..it's a pity that new cards totally outvalue the oldies, but the fact that I collected these cards before the hockey explosion in 1989/1990 means more to me then their value.

Sergei Fedorov OPC Premier Rookie card

Vincent Damphousse OPC Rookie card

I think I have a '84 or '85 OPC Gretzky... But I have to find it! ^_^

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

i used to be an avid sports card collector but not anymore..

my prized are

signed Osgood rookie card

signed Brodeur rookie card

Holograph Ray Borque "Dream Team" Card

The Great Ones 1000 point (i think its points)

i aslo have the complete set of 1970-1982 MLB cards from my dad.

untitled-1.png

I long for the days of old when each brand made only one card set, there were no inserts, and each team had about 20 players represented on cards.

Now you have 500 brands all producing the same star players... You know how long it was before I saw a card of Glenn Healy with the Leafs? He played here for at least 5 seasons and had maybe one card.

I know, it pisses me off. You have all these cards and only like maybe 8-10 players from each team being represented, and that's in footbal where there are 50+ players per team.

Gary Kubiak played QB for the Denver Broncos for 9 years ('83-'91) and there is only ONE card of him that exists.

So many players I wish they had cards for. My main goal in card collecting is trying to get cards of players that are "rare", like Kubiak, Brad Daluiso, Arthur Marshall, Cecil Sapp, Micah Knorr, Robert Brooks (in a Broncos Uni), Andre Reed (in a Broncos Uni). You get the picture, that's probably one of the more difficult things to do in card collecting today. THOSE are the TRUE rare cards.

Signed

John Lynch

Keyshawn Johnson

Michael Pittman

Brett Favre*

Kurt Warner*

Donovan McNabb*

Rookies

Michael Vick

Donovan McNabb

Jevon Kearse

Brian Urlacher

Emmitt Smith

Plaxico Burress

*I sent those cards in the mail to get autographed, so I'm not 100% sure whether or not they're signatures are real.

Alright guys...

Get ready for some Cheese... very cheesy story.

Collectors, get the kleenex boxes.

I will pour my heart out to the whole community... I may even shed a tear in the process.

My dad having some "problems" with the bottle, I was raised by my grand-parents away from a fairly tumultuous parental household (my mom could vouch for that...). That menat I never really got to sharte a lot with my dad... (this is NOT the part that will bring tears...)

When one day I found a box of my dad's belonging in my grandma's second floor un-habited appartment now used as an attic a box of my pop's belongings at the age of about 10-12, I was very curious.

In that box was a few hockey cards. there was 3 seasons around 1951 to 55. (including the Parkhurst re-coloured ones) I'd say each season was about 80% complete. Also had a scrapbook with miniature cards from Red Rose (or Salada...) Tea, one of which was Mr. Hockey's (likely his rookie).

As I lived in a small town with no exposure to collectibles (this is around 1980 not 1990...) a collector shows up at a mall in the next town, 4-5 kilometers from my house. I get on my bike, put the cards in a backpack and ride to tht mall on the unpaved shoulder of the 4-lane boulevards (2-2).

I get there, this old man, looks at me and says: "They're not in great shape, but you have a few ones I need Richard, Howe... There you go..." as he pulls a "pink one" out of his pocket and hands it to me (That's a $50). As a 10-12 year-old in 1980 I took the money and ran...

In retrospect, I can only imagine how much money that was REALLY worth then (left alone today) but I', mot bitter of the potentila 3-4 thousand dollars I lost, but I'm disgusted to think a man would take advantage of a naive young boy like that...

From time to time, I'll walk in a shop and see some of those 50s cards and I can't hold a tear...

:cursing:

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

i used to be an avid sports card collector but not anymore..

my prized are

signed Osgood rookie card

signed Brodeur rookie card

Holograph Ray Borque "Dream Team" Card

The Great Ones 1000 point (i think its points)

i aslo have the complete set of 1970-1982 MLB cards from my dad.

Have respect for one of the classiest D-man the game has seen...

I'm sure you meant Raymond Bourque (it's o.k. to call him Ray, but please use the "U"... unless it's the American spelling... like Colour-color, etc.)

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

I have several full season topps baseball sets from the mid-80's that I've gotten from the local comic book store for around $15 a box. Most of these cards are in decent condition, nothing special and I moved them to larger boxes sorted by team over this last summer (extremely bored) and while doing so, found some pretty cool cards.

Glavine rookie

Bonds rookie

Bonilla rookie

Gwynn rookie

Pete Rose last card

Griffey Jr. rookie

Frank Thomas rookie, the list goes on and on, but my favorite one has to be the George Brett final card, b/c he has always been my favorite player

I've decided to give up hope for all sports teams I follow

I have two, my two Tom Brady Rookie cards. One given to me by my friend who hated the Patriots at the time because they were losers. He opened a pack of cards and got a Tom Brady rookie card. This was before the 2001 season. He threw it out his window. I picked it up because I take all rookie card because you never know how good they will be. I never let him live that down. I also have a Brett Farve rookie card.

My father's uncle used to work in the O-Pee-Chee factory in the late 70's/early 80's. My aunt was a huge Wayne Gretzky fan growing up and she has several Gretzky rookie cards, newspaper clippings, Gretzky dolls and posters. But one of the prized posessions she has is an uncut sheet of O-Pee-Chee cards from 1979 that includes Gretzky's rookie card.

--Roger "Time?" Clemente.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Archived