Formula 1 new logo

pepis21

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

the red on black/white makes it look like a Forza ripoff or something

bR__9rV4_400x400.jpg

kind of thinking the same thing— the Forza Motorsport logo, without the craft and care. 

heres an article from Creative Review: https://www.creativereview.co.uk/formula-1-unveils-new-identity-wieden-kennedy-london/

one thing W+K says is they didnt want to do another "F1" because it wouldnt compare to the current logo and the started moving in another direction. yet, they end up there anyway. some good changes have come to F1 in the last year but this logo is about as odd of a decision as the Hypersoft tire

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

Maybe they can't do the 'old' F1 logo better but they had a different take on it in that book of ideas from the article that kept with the spirit of it.  It flips the red speed lines over onto the 'F' and then the '1' was retained.  If the logo had to be updated that could have been a fair attempt.  This creation that Liberty unveiled today seems like it has a short shelf life already.  

I like the new logo so much more than the old one. I will readily admit that I'm not a racing fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. While the old logo was clever, it felt dated. The old logo reminded me of an NCAA conference logo circa 1991. 

What I do know about F1 is that it's almost a lifestyle brand: exotic locations, tradition, luxury, elegance... And while some have mentioned the Forza brand, I believe that spiritually that's the right thing to aim for. This new brand feels "exclusive" to me, which is exactly what F1 should be (compared to stockcar, drag, and other forms of racing). 

12 hours ago, GFB said:

I like the new logo so much more than the old one. I will readily admit that I'm not a racing fan, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. While the old logo was clever, it felt dated. The old logo reminded me of an NCAA conference logo circa 1991. 

What I do know about F1 is that it's almost a lifestyle brand: exotic locations, tradition, luxury, elegance... And while some have mentioned the Forza brand, I believe that spiritually that's the right thing to aim for. This new brand feels "exclusive" to me, which is exactly what F1 should be (compared to stockcar, drag, and other forms of racing). 

im with you 100% there. but thats what F1 used to be (well, a year ago). since Liberty has taken over they've had a more "fan focused" approach to the races. one thing they've done is opened up the pits to more fans so its not so exclusive. W+K mentioned this "for the fans" angle when talking about the new logo too. i guess, i honestly dont mind whatever approach or brand they awnt to build— but there seems to be a lot of confusion even within LM as to who/what F1 is. they mention "reclaiming the passion" of the sport yet are "ushering in a new era" as well. between the experience, the broadcasts, the identity, the racing, the rules. . . there is a total lack of values and identity. i think what frustrates me the most is that lack of focus and direction. and the previous owner Bernie may not have been the best guy, but at least he had a vision for F1

GRAPHIC ARTIST

4 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

im with you 100% there. but thats what F1 used to be (well, a year ago). since Liberty has taken over they've had a more "fan focused" approach to the races. one thing they've done is opened up the pits to more fans so its not so exclusive. W+K mentioned this "for the fans" angle when talking about the new logo too. i guess, i honestly dont mind whatever approach or brand they awnt to build— but there seems to be a lot of confusion even within LM as to who/what F1 is. they mention "reclaiming the passion" of the sport yet are "ushering in a new era" as well. between the experience, the broadcasts, the identity, the racing, the rules. . . there is a total lack of values and identity. i think what frustrates me the most is that lack of focus and direction. and the previous owner Bernie may not have been the best guy, but at least he had a vision for F1

Interesting take. My question would be are exclusivity and accessibility truly opposites? Can’t you position your brand as “exclusive” to outsiders but “accessible” to those inside it... basically, just be hipster-culture answer for racing.

From the outside at least, it’s a niche form of racing (at least here in the USA), that the initial bar to become invested in F1 is much higher than its racing competitors. However, once that initial bar is cleared, those customers should feel included, welcomed, and given access. 

That feels like a solid strategy.

1 hour ago, GFB said:

Interesting take. My question would be are exclusivity and accessibility truly opposites? Can’t you position your brand as “exclusive” to outsiders but “accessible” to those inside it... basically, just be hipster-culture answer for racing.

From the outside at least, it’s a niche form of racing (at least here in the USA), that the initial bar to become invested in F1 is much higher than its racing competitors. However, once that initial bar is cleared, those customers should feel included, welcomed, and given access. 

That feels like a solid strategy.

yea i feel like thats where they were before. the previous owner compared it to a high priced steakhouse— it was exclusive so that only a select few could join and the minimal amount of a certain kind of people would make that experience like no other. i think Liberty Media's strategey has been "its open for everyone" and trying to reach as many people as possible. i only assume the costs of tickets and access has come down with that too

GRAPHIC ARTIST

23 hours ago, GFB said:

I’m with you for sure. The other part of the press release that totally made sense was the flexibility and versatility. The old mark was simply not very well suited for digital *or* physical media; two high volume areas of use these days. Looking great in print alone simply doesn’t cut it in 2017.

I really do appreciate the clever touch of the old mark, and it certainly was good for the mid-1990s, but it does feel dated now, while other iconic and conceptually similar marks of that era (FedEx?) still feel current to me. I don’t want to say it’s overrated, but I think if you love that mark and you really look at it with a critical eye, you’ll find that you’re more in love with the graphic device and the way discovering that 1 made you feel. The mark itself is pretty ugly. I think it’s also telling that he brought up the fact that people don’t see the 1! As a designer, you never want to design a “dumber” mark, but if the idea isn’t communicating properly, You’re kinda stuck (I’m taking his word at face value on this point; I don’t necessarily believe that a majority of people don’t see the 1).

Of the three, the one they chose was my least favorite by itself, but I like it much better after seeing a bit of context. It does feel video gamey, but it feels like the right type of game, in my opinion. Very Forza/GT, with a pinch of confident, avant garde attitude. I think this move will turn out okay for them.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 11/24/2017 at 11:25 PM, missouri tigers said:

KFnTK5P.png

Something like this would be preferable, keeping the same iconic F1 monogram while simplifying and upgrading the clunky type. 

Reminds me a bit of the Shell Fuel Rewards logo. Also a bit of Firestone.

Shell-gasoline-fuel-rewards-network-shop

On 11/27/2017 at 11:12 PM, andrewharrington said:

I’m with you for sure. The other part of the press release that totally made sense was the flexibility and versatility. The old mark was simply not very well suited for digital *or* physical media; two high volume areas of use these days. Looking great in print alone simply doesn’t cut it in 2017.

I really do appreciate the clever touch of the old mark, and it certainly was good for the mid-1990s, but it does feel dated now, while other iconic and conceptually similar marks of that era (FedEx?) still feel current to me. I don’t want to say it’s overrated, but I think if you love that mark and you really look at it with a critical eye, you’ll find that you’re more in love with the graphic device and the way discovering that 1 made you feel. The mark itself is pretty ugly. I think it’s also telling that he brought up the fact that people don’t see the 1! As a designer, you never want to design a “dumber” mark, but if the idea isn’t communicating properly, You’re kinda stuck (I’m taking his word at face value on this point; I don’t necessarily believe that a majority of people don’t see the 1).

Of the three, the one they chose was my least favorite by itself, but I like it much better after seeing a bit of context. It does feel video gamey, but it feels like the right type of game, in my opinion. Very Forza/GT, with a pinch of confident, avant garde attitude. I think this move will turn out okay for them.

yes. and that's why i believe the old mark is better. because there is that element of cleverness which builds a connection to it. making a better crafted logo is easy enough, but finding an idea that connects, even a nice negative space puzzle piece, is harder. plus, the issues they had with the old logo will be had with the new with its thin lines; and it being so wide means it has to be even smaller, like in avatars, doing the mark more disservice. aesthetics and the communication of aside, i don't think they solved those craft issues they set out to at all, and by starting out with "we dont want to do another 'F1' because we'll never do it as well" and then ending there anyway are decisions that make me worry about the entire sport's future. 

one thing we havent gotten into yet is the type though. i love the 3 new typefaces, but again they all feel like they won't translate to small digital spaces well. these will be great for headlines, but unless they introduce a standard (one would assume, but thats not what they mocked up in the release) they've created something that doesn't meet their needs in this area as well

GRAPHIC ARTIST

On 11/29/2017 at 9:50 AM, BrandMooreArt said:

yes. and that's why i believe the old mark is better. because there is that element of cleverness which builds a connection to it. making a better crafted logo is easy enough, but finding an idea that connects, even a nice negative space puzzle piece, is harder. plus, the issues they had with the old logo will be had with the new with its thin lines; and it being so wide means it has to be even smaller, like in avatars, doing the mark more disservice. aesthetics and the communication of aside, i don't think they solved those craft issues they set out to at all, and by starting out with "we dont want to do another 'F1' because we'll never do it as well" and then ending there anyway are decisions that make me worry about the entire sport's future. 

one thing we havent gotten into yet is the type though. i love the 3 new typefaces, but again they all feel like they won't translate to small digital spaces well. these will be great for headlines, but unless they introduce a standard (one would assume, but thats not what they mocked up in the release) they've created something that doesn't meet their needs in this area as well

Eh, with today's high resolution displays, I think both the mark and the typefaces are going to be fine in digital spaces (and it's going to be no contest on embroidery). ^_^

mjy2dkFYehBqibse-w7wBSw.jpg

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 11/30/2017 at 9:33 AM, Lee Noire said:

The more I see it the more this logo looks like it was designed for a luxury or performance car company. Which is on brand I guess.

The slash/1 reminds me of Dodge

If you read on the card you'll be cheating on your heart.

Archived