Death of the Alliance of American Football

LAWeaver

4 hours ago, GDAWG said:

What is this fascination with analytics in sports anyways?  I don't get it. 

Someone wants Brad Pitt to play them in a movie since he's already played Billy Bean. 

43 minutes ago, rainmaker17 said:

Really surprised so many people want this league to fail.  Every other major sport has some form of minor league system, but this is a “joke” or a bad idea?  I don’t get it.  For those who have had their fill of football...don’t watch it.  Sure the AAF didn’t dot every ‘I’ and cross every ‘T’ when it came to a game plan, but It looks a hell of a lot more thought out than 99% percent of the other start up attempts.  I bought tickets for the April 6th game in San Antonio and thinking positively there will be a game to go to.

I don't think it's people wanting them to fail. The fact is that Ebersol put out that they were set financially for the first two seasons I believe. Then two weeks in there's a massive influx of cash and pay issues right before that happens. I doubt that the money comes in if there isn't a person in that owner's ear saying, "Buy now, you'll get you're money back". If that person was Charlie Ebersol I'd probably back out. If it was someone else within the AAF or with information from the NFL regarding interest in supporting this league, he probably wants to make sure of getting in early. Regardless, $250 million is a lot of personal cash to through around. If it blows up in his face he's probably selling of the Hurricanes which will probably make some people happier than if the league pulls through and becomes the actual, rather than de facto minor league for the NFL. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Someone wants Brad Pitt to play them in a movie since he's already played Billy Bean. 

I don't think it's people wanting them to fail. The fact is that Ebersol put out that they were set financially for the first two seasons I believe. Then two weeks in there's a massive influx of cash and pay issues right before that happens. I doubt that the money comes in if there isn't a person in that owner's ear saying, "Buy now, you'll get you're money back". If that person was Charlie Ebersol I'd probably back out. If it was someone else within the AAF or with information from the NFL regarding interest in supporting this league, he probably wants to make sure of getting in early. Regardless, $250 million is a lot of personal cash to through around. If it blows up in his face he's probably selling of the Hurricanes which will probably make some people happier than if the league pulls through and becomes the actual, rather than de facto minor league for the NFL. 

He made the bulk of his fortune from sub-prime auto loans, he can find something else quick to recoup some of the losses. In addition to being heavily vested in Topgolf, he also makes his money from Carvana, and a healthcare (surgical group) for those who are self-insured. Hell, with the AAF own insurance issues, he may require them use his group, EmployerDirect, for surgical procedures.

5 hours ago, rainmaker17 said:

Really surprised so many people want this league to fail.  Every other major sport has some form of minor league system, but this is a “joke” or a bad idea?  I don’t get it.  

Nobody wants this league to fail.  But neither are we inclined to overlook its obvious deficiencies, its bad business plan, or the public lies of its executives.

I'm just gonna give my two cents here, independent of previous discussion and related context, but if this league was smart (and I have a suspicion that Vince McMahon, being the exact kind of no :censored: s given kinda person that he is, will do exactly this), they would not have followed the NFL's model of three years post-high school completion before allowing athletes into the mix.

I mean, with the way that it is, what is the league composed of? Basically, NFL has-beens and NFL never-weres. I'm not sure what the appeal to the average person is going to be. Quality of play would probably be right on par, maybe even slightly above that, of college football, but college football has literally decades of alma mater appeal and assored crap that works in its favor to bring in fans. Something that a start up league, of course, can't offer to provide.

It's 2019, there's no reason why we should be forcing some of these people who hate school to have to go to school to play professional football if they don't want to. Is the quality of their coaching or the quality of their facilities going to be as good? Who knows. But that's a choice that adults can make for themselves. Making people have to work for an organization as corrupt and immoral as the NCAA is something we should have been finding alternatives to for a very long time now. It's disappointing we still haven't succeeded in doing that.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

It's 2019, there's no reason why we should be forcing some of these people who hate school to have to go to school to play professional football if they don't want to.

Given how much boys can grow between the ages of 18 and 21, I’m going to have to disagree pretty strongly with this. 

5 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I'm just gonna give my two cents here, independent of previous discussion and related context, but if this league was smart (and I have a suspicion that Vince McMahon, being the exact kind of no :censored: s given kinda person that he is, will do exactly this), they would not have followed the NFL's model of three years post-high school completion before allowing athletes into the mix.

I mean, with the way that it is, what is the league composed of? Basically, NFL has-beens and NFL never-weres. I'm not sure what the appeal to the average person is going to be. Quality of play would probably be right on par, maybe even slightly above that, of college football, but college football has literally decades of alma mater appeal and assored crap that works in its favor to bring in fans. Something that a start up league, of course, can't offer to provide.

It's 2019, there's no reason why we should be forcing some of these people who hate school to have to go to school to play professional football if they don't want to. Is the quality of their coaching or the quality of their facilities going to be as good? Who knows. But that's a choice that adults can make for themselves. Making people have to work for an organization as corrupt and immoral as the NCAA is something we should have been finding alternatives to for a very long time now. It's disappointing we still haven't succeeded in doing that.

The Orlando Team President commented on this during his AMA.

His response:

To play in The Alliance you need to have gone through the NFL cycle and been draft eligible. After that, athletes are allocated based on where they last went to school. Football is different than Basketball or Baseball or Soccer... there are a lot of grown men out there looking to prove something, which makes this a tough way to make a living. These guys will hit you and your body. Other sports are not like that

6 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Exactly.  

Putting 18-year olds on the same field as 25-year olds looking to show how tough they are is very possibly going to result in a death.

There's a reason that commentators for high school and to a lesser extent college football refer to players that are exceptionally skilled as "a man among boys". Also why even the worst Divison I-A team would thoroughly maul the best high school team in America. Hearing that the XFL (related to this particular topic) wants to recruit players whenever they want to go pro (didn't say out of high school but sure didn't rule it out either) sounds completely :censored:ing nuts to me.

9 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

Making people have to work for an organization as corrupt and immoral as the NCAA is something we should have been finding alternatives to for a very long time now. It's disappointing we still haven't succeeded in doing that.

I still don't understand why people still think the NCAA already is a minor league to the NFL.

18 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

I still don't understand why people still think the NCAA already is a minor league to the NFL.

I think it's because it's caught in a weird limbo in people's minds.

It is essentially a minor league for the NFL as it is where future NFL players marinate because the NFL doesn't have a formal minor league. In saying that however, the NCAA is still it's own entity with multiple different sports where not everyone is going to be a professional in what ever sport they are playing and the NCAA is the highest they will ever play.

IbjBaeE.png

Just now, monkeypower said:

I think it's because it's caught in a weird limbo in people's minds.

It is essentially a minor league for the NFL as it is where future NFL players marinate because the NFL doesn't have a formal minor league. In saying that however, the NCAA is still it's own entity with multiple different sports where not everyone is going to be a professional in what ever sport they are playing and the NCAA is the highest they will ever play.

I guess you're right, but its frustrating to see people refuse to give spring leagues a chance despite how backwards and corrupt the NCAA is.

26 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

Where do they, and every other football league which signs players to contract, get the overwhelming majority of their talent?

HINT: It ain't the semi-pro leagues across the US and Canada.  Even that mess of the Rivals PFL sign guys with some collegiate experience.

2 hours ago, dfwabel said:

Where do they, and every other football league which signs players to contract, get the overwhelming majority of their talent?

HINT: It ain't the semi-pro leagues across the US and Canada.  Even that mess of the Rivals PFL sign guys with some collegiate experience.

But, in line with that, there are plenty of us out there, I'm sure, who aren't opposed to there being either a spring football league or a, ahem, "Tier 2 football league" that plays in the fall, whichever, that can effectively serve as a minor league to the NFL and, in the process, subvert the NCAA.

Within proper legal parameters, of course, I'm open to literally any viable solution that subverts the NCAA. 

spacer.png

23 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

But, in line with that, there are plenty of us out there, I'm sure, who aren't opposed to there being either a spring football league or a, ahem, "Tier 2 football league" that plays in the fall, whichever, that can effectively serve as a minor league to the NFL and, in the process, subvert the NCAA.

Within proper legal parameters, of course, I'm open to literally any viable solution that subverts the NCAA. 

The market is, to a degree, illustrating that a "Tier 2", where the players are actually paid is not sustainable.

Not just in terms of attendance and revenue from it, but as reported last month VERY FEW COMPANIES WANT TO INSURE FOOTBALL.

AAF got insured a week before the season start and that premium was likely much higher than originally planned for and caused the need for immediate investment.

Archived