Alternative History of Defunct Baseball Teams - Sacramento Solons Phase 3

raysox

14 minutes ago, raysox said:

Just wanted to do a quick bump. I had an idea for the Denver Bulls Phase 2 brand and built that, and was playing with plans for them while I sat on Solons. I have a general idea of what I want for Phase 3 and 4, but wanted to sidetrack.

Also feel free to name some teams and I can tell you if I have plans to do them!

How about the Oklahoma City 89ers? I always liked their name and identity.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm liking the series thus far, especially the philosophy behind the design work! 

Solons Phase One: I rather like the approach here, keeping with the conventions of the period and putting a unique (but not unreasonable within aesthetic traditions of the time) style on them. The cartoon logo could do without the dotted seam lines on the cap, but that's a minor quibble. I don't know if arched block letters are really the best idea here, given the font experimentation present at the time. Look at what the Blue Jays, Mariners, Astros, and Padres were doing for a more appropriate typeface. Heck, the primary logo typeface would work well for the uniforms! The font Cortez would be fantastic as well:

603484.png

I do agree with @Htown1141 slightly about the pattern in the racing stripes, but I can pass it off as an "exceptionally experimental" design. Also, I'd recolor the yellow cap button white or use a yellow "S."

Solons Phase Two: I like the font and the new logo for the period, with appropriate amounts of highlights and accents. My big complaints center around the uniforms, namely the trim and number fonts. Collar trim like that is more an early-2000s trick (e.g., the Angels or Giants). If you want a more '90s aesthetic, pattern trim may be your best bet.

arizona-diamondbacks-randy-johnson_1_a41cae6fb4e179146660d885cdaa786c.jpg

I'd also recommend using a display font for the numbers. What do the numerals look like on the wordmark font?

25 minutes ago, raysox said:

Just wanted to do a quick bump. I had an idea for the Denver Bulls Phase 2 brand and built that, and was playing with plans for them while I sat on Solons. I have a general idea of what I want for Phase 3 and 4, but wanted to sidetrack.

Also feel free to name some teams and I can tell you if I have plans to do them!

Don't you mean Denver Bears? I can't find anything on a vintage Denver Bulls team. 

As for teams you have plans to do, may I inquire about the Seattle Rainiers, Houston Buffs, or Portland Beavers? There's plenty of potential in those designs.

Thanks man, i appreciate the comments. I'm going to revisit it at some point. The font discrepancy was based on the Padres. Just a weird quirk i liked haha.
SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1971.jpgfriar2.png

As far as the pointy font for the 90s....

36 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Don't you mean Denver Bears? I can't find anything on a vintage Denver Bulls team. 

As for teams you have plans to do, may I inquire about the Seattle Rainiers, Houston Buffs, or Portland Beavers? There's plenty of potential in those designs.

Yes, the BEARS are the team I was talking about. And their Phase 2 logo fits the profile of the Diamondbacks/Mariners script.

Rainiers, Buffs, and Beavers are on my list, but the Beavers are lower since they continued to exist until 10 years ago. The Tacoma Rainiers logos consistently weren't great so I want to tackle them 

Finally the long awaited Phase 3! For this, i was trying to set myself up for Phase 4 while trying to look dated already. I used the trendy color scheme of the time, duel blues and yellow. Although the yellow gets down played majorly. There's the Greek pattern from earlier in a roundel, and a custom script font based on old script logos from the PCL days. The uniforms are pretty basic, but the road uniform is navy. I justify this because teams like the Marlins wore their black jerseys more than the greys to the point where the road jersey identity becomes fluid.

Sacramento-P3.png

I’ve asked this once and I’ll ask it again: what about ALTERNATES

BTW phase 3 looks a WHOLE lot like the brewers. 

Still, Great Work!

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

1 hour ago, Blindsay said:

Still, Great Work!

95% of your comments on any concept have been “What about alternates” 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, Blindsay said:

Still, Great Work!

14 minutes ago, BellaSpurs said:

Or if someone will do jersey ads.

A note for you on a sports uniforms boards...

WE HATE JERSEY ADS!!!!

I CANNOT STRESS THAT ENOUGH!!!

I love phase 3, but one thing that strikes me about those looks is that the colors get really muted or desaturated. For example, that Jays blue is a really :censored:ty graphite kind of blue, where it seems like some took a hue/saturation filter in photoshop and decided that 50 is a good number to be. Same thing for the Astros look during that time period. They could've chosen any color they wanted, including a vibrant or deep red, but instead they chose brick. Brick, by the way, is the worst red. I'm kinda getting Adobe default swatch vibes from your concept right now,or in other words everything is a little bit too saturated. Also, something that was really important to phase 3 was that either the original colors got Thanos snapped (see: Houston and San Diego), dulled and minimized (see: Toronto), or desaturated and put with a trash old gold/beige (see: Milwaukee). The Solons look for phase 3, while visually it fits with the designs of the period, don't really match up color-wise with the rest of phase 3 in real life. But the double outline really fits with the era, as well as the unnecessary and out of place script font for a team that's never used one. Well done once again.

I really like what you’ve done here with the double-layered script, the primary logo, and the cap insignia. It all feels era-appropriate, especially with the limited use of yellow. If you want to incorporate more of it, I’d suggest adding it as a shadowing color (Brewers/Padres), dulling it for double outlines (Astros/Blue Jays), or incorporating it as an obnoxious bit of shading. I agree with @Htown1141 about the colors. If you want to use light blue, go the Memphis Grizzlies route by using a super-pale shade that might as well be bluish gray. 

My primary recommendation  would be to use a display font for the numbers. The Phase 3 Padres, Astros, Brewers, and Blue Jays all used display fonts, to little success. Find something that’s rounded and simple (Astros) or bogged down with shadowing (Brewers/Blue Jays).

1 hour ago, Htown1141 said:

I love phase 3, but one thing that strikes me about those looks is that the colors get really muted or desaturated. For example, that Jays blue is a really :censored:ty graphite kind of blue, where it seems like some took a hue/saturation filter in photoshop and decided that 50 is a good number to be. Same thing for the Astros look during that time period. They could've chosen any color they wanted, including a vibrant or deep red, but instead they chose brick. Brick, by the way, is the worst red. I'm kinda getting Adobe default swatch vibes from your concept right now,or in other words everything is a little bit too saturated. Also, something that was really important to phase 3 was that either the original colors got Thanos snapped (see: Houston and San Diego), dulled and minimized (see: Toronto), or desaturated and put with a trash old gold/beige (see: Milwaukee). The Solons look for phase 3, while visually it fits with the designs of the period, don't really match up color-wise with the rest of phase 3 in real life. But the double outline really fits with the era, as well as the unnecessary and out of place script font for a team that's never used one. Well done once again.

Maybe try a darker blue and metallic gold as a compromise between phase 3 and irl versions.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

11 hours ago, BellaSpurs said:

12 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Chill

Ok, maybe I’ve gotten overboard. Sorry. Just trying to be realistic.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Im an isles,rangers,devils,Sabres,Yankees,Mets,Braves,hawks,knicks,nets,bills,giants,falcons,and jets fan. So?

23 hours ago, Jimmy Lethal said:

you know what else has gotten overboard? your signature.

Sorry man. 

spacer.pngspacer.png

Archived