Sports logo, uniform, & stadium inaccuracies in Movies & TV Shows

Has this topic been discussed before regarding not quite accurate parts of sports logos/uniforms/stadiums in movies or tv shows?

In the 1988 film “Naked Gun”, there’s a memorable funny scene where the main character, Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) disguises himself as an umpire during a game between the Angels and the Mariners.  While the Mariners uniforms were accurate, the Angels were wearing red helmets instead of navy ones like they did in real life.  The movie did get the navy caps (and the rest of the uniforms) correct however.

https://briansgifs.tumblr.com/post/74542897964/the-way-baseball-should-be-played

These are stadium-related inaccurate scenes rather than logo-related:

- The Angels/Mariners games in the aforementioned Naked Gun movie is filmed in Dodger Stadium rather than the Angels’ home park (Angel Stadium in Anaheim)

- In Major League (1989), the movie was filmed at County Stadium in Milwaukee rather than Cleveland’s Municipal Stadium.  The 1994 sequel is filmed at Baltimore’s Camden Yards.  The uniforms in both films are accurate based on the 1988 and 1993 seasons respectively.  However, In Major League 2's movie cover, actor Corbin Bernsen is wearing a red undershirt with his uniform instead of navy as seen with Charlie Sheen.  The Indians always wore navy socks/undershirts with those uniforms and  never wore red in real life.  

205326_full.jpg

- In one scene in Rookie of the Year (1993), the Cubs are on a road trip playing the Dodgers.  The teams are clearly playing at New Comiskey Park (the White Sox ballpark) rather than Dodger Stadium.  However, the uniforms throughout the movie are accurate (based on the 1992 season)

- In Angels in the Outfield (1994), the movie was filmed at Oakland Coliseum (The A's ballpark, pre-Mount Davis) rather than Angel Stadium in Anaheim.  The uniforms throughout the movie are accurate (based on the 1993 season)

maxresdefault.jpg

Here are some basketball ones:  There were made-for-TV movies about Michael Jordan (MJ: an American Hero in 1999) and Dennis Rodman (Bad as I Wanna Be in 1998) in the late 1990s.  Due to not getting rights to use NBA licenses (logos, uniforms, etc), the actors had to wear generic-looking uniforms in both films. The Jordan movie is on YouTube.  Go to 1:13:16 to see the Bulls uniforms in the movie.  However, the Rodman movie is not.

512Z6ZDJ29L._SY300_QL70_.jpg

p20248_i_h12_ab.jpg?d=270x360&q=60

Here's the ABC promo (plus a small clip of the Spurs "logo" at 0:08)

Anyone else know any other sports logo/stadium inaccuracies in TV Shows or Movies?  Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey, Soccer, etc.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only one I can think of right now is that one commercial where they showed a Patriots player wearing the current white jersey with silver pants, a combination they've never worn since changing to the current set.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I think the extras were wearing the normal uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I can’t think of any specifically off the top of my head, but I certainly notice every time something uniform-related is incorrect in a commercial, television show or movie and point it out to whomever is sitting beside me.

In the movie Mr. 3000 (which I hate to my core) Bernie Mac gets his 3000 hit while wearing the brewers “Motre Bame” uniforms while playing at Miller Park. I know they couldn’t change miller park back to county stadium but they could have maybe set the 3000 hit at some other stadium but whatever.

It's Me

7 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

You can see in the video that they are not.

Watched it twice and don’t see any orange scripts. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just now, BringBackTheVet said:

Watched it twice and don’t see any orange scripts. 

What is going on here?

There is a reversed wordmark on the blond guy wearing no. 71 (in the wrong font) in the picture that I excerpted.

Carter-Ivory-red-circle.png

He is in the video from 0:08 to 0:11. Then at 0:12, another extra with a reversed wordmark appears briefly behind that blond guy.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

6 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I can barely see the orange script on no. 71 at about 0:11. He’s at just the right spot to see it, after that you don’t see it as well. But it does appear orange to me.

Is the photo not showing up? I excerpted that particular moment because it goes by so fast.

6 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Is the photo not showing up? I excerpted that particular moment because it goes by so fast.

Your photo is showing up, but the part I saw it at is probably a few tenths of a second right before your excerpt. It does go by very fast indeed!

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

I don’t know if I’d categorize filming locations as inaccuracies. Those decisions are often made based on outside factors and not errors in production.  It’s still interesting though.   I’ll throw one in for good measure.  The scene in Ace Ventura when Ace is examining the empty dolphin tank was shot at the Orange Bowl.  This was well after the dolphins moved into Joe RobbieStadium. JRS was used for the football game scene at the end of the movie 

16 hours ago, disman00911 said:

In the 1988 film “Naked Gun”, there’s a memorable funny scene where the main character, Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) disguises himself as an umpire during a game between the Angels and the Mariners. 

I really wish MLB had let them use the Brewers as the road team, as the filmmakers intended. But no, the league wanted to push the Mariners. 

Here's the Patriots commercial Discrimihater was talking about.  Found it in an older thread.

During the dying days of WCW in the early 2000s, polarizing wrestling figure Vince Russo wore a black SF Giants jersey during Bash at the Beach 2000.  Was this a Spring Training/Batting Practice jersey or just a fashion jersey?  The Giants never wore that jersey on the field.  The black jerseys they actually wore (as evidence with Barry Bonds breaking Mark McGwire's single season HR record in 2001) were different with black letters on black jersey.  Russo also wore fashion Yankees jerseys during this period that the team never wore on the field.

russo.jpg1280x720-Sbh.jpg

33 minutes ago, FinsUp1214 said:
39 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Your photo is showing up, but the part I saw it at is probably a few tenths of a second right before your excerpt. It does go by very fast indeed!

When the commercial first aired, both my brother and I noticed the reversed wordmark immediately — and with tremendous disgust.

In watching the YouTube video, what helps is that you can make it run at one-quarter speed.

6 hours ago, disman00911 said:

Here's the Patriots commercial Discrimihater was talking about.  Found it in an older thread.

During the dying days of WCW in the early 2000s, polarizing wrestling figure Vince Russo wore a black SF Giants jersey during Bash at the Beach 2000.  Was this a Spring Training/Batting Practice jersey or just a fashion jersey?  The Giants never wore that jersey on the field.  The black jerseys they actually wore (as evidence with Barry Bonds breaking Mark McGwire's single season HR record in 2001) were different with black letters on black jersey.  Russo also wore fashion Yankees jerseys during this period that the team never wore on the field.

russo.jpg1280x720-Sbh.jpg

90s BP jersey.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

7 hours ago, Gothamite said:
23 hours ago, disman00911 said:

In the 1988 film “Naked Gun”, there’s a memorable funny scene where the main character, Lt. Frank Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) disguises himself as an umpire during a game between the Angels and the Mariners. 

I really wish MLB had let them use the Brewers as the road team, as the filmmakers intended. But no, the league wanted to push the Mariners. 

What's this about?  Why did the filmmakers want to use the Brewers?  And why did Major League Baseball prefer that they use the Mariners?

One would assume that all parties' natural preference for the road team would be the Yankees.  At least it would in that case have been a team that Jay Johnstone had actually played for.

Archived