2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Digby said:

is this a joke or a bad take?

Booker and Ayton for Jaylen and Hayward. Who says no?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I saw the Celtics folding like the Clippers tonight. They have a good collection of talent that has made 3 of 4 ECF and are being passed by whoever of Milwaukee and Philly gets CP3, Miami and Toronto. It doesn't look good.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I saw the Celtics folding like the Clippers tonight. They have a good collection of talent that has made 3 of 4 ECF and are being passed by whoever of Milwaukee and Philly gets CP3, Miami and Toronto. It doesn't look good.

Most of these guys weren't even on the team for one or both of the previous ECF runs! I think NBA online dorks' eagerness to blow everything up all the time is an unfortunate side effect of Process-humping, that the NBA is just an algorithm of making the right trades. Not every problem is solvable by the trade machine.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

2 minutes ago, Digby said:

Most of these guys weren't even on the team for one or both of the previous ECF runs! I think NBA online dorks' eagerness to blow everything up all the time is an unfortunate side effect of Process-humping, that the NBA is just an algorithm of making the right trades. Not every problem is solvable by the trade machine.

It feels like we've been hearing about the Celtics young core for a decade now. Jaylen and Jayson were there in 2018 booming LeBron. Yeah, Kyrie nuked them, but Heyward hasn't done anything and Jayson and Jaylen spent half of the fourth quarter staring at their dicks waiting for it to be over.

If it's close, it's one thing. But this core can't keep on playing together. They clearly don't trust each other and something needs to be different.

Yeah once the Lakers made The Finals, I really became indifferent to The Celtics making the Finals only to face the goddamn Lakers AGAIN. 

2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It feels like we've been hearing about the Celtics young core for a decade now. Jaylen and Jayson were there in 2018 booming LeBron. Yeah, Kyrie nuked them, but Heyward hasn't done anything and Jayson and Jaylen spent half of the fourth quarter staring at their dicks waiting for it to be over.

If it's close, it's one thing. But this core can't keep on playing together. They clearly don't trust each other and something needs to be different.

This is a goddamn stupid take. 

This is probably one of the first times the core played together (mostly) healthy. In 2017 & 18 The got Lebron'ed (but still should have won in '18)

The problem is they need a 1st team guy like George/Giannis/Kawhi instead of going after guys like Kyrie & Kemba. 

They're like Toronto, needing that one final big piece to get them over the hump. 

Whatever first round picks they have left, go all in for the best guy available. 

The Celtics have tried drafting their way to NBA success and it hasn't worked. They need a Jimmy Butler or a Kawhi Leonard or a James Harden or someone who doesn't melt down during big moments and can get a :censored:ing basket when it's needed. That guy isn't on their team right now.

15 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The Celtics have tried drafting their way to NBA success and it hasn't worked. They need a Jimmy Butler or a Kawhi Leonard or a James Harden or someone who doesn't melt down during big moments and can get a :censored:ing basket when it's needed. That guy isn't on their team right now.

Exactly. 

Problem is they've struck out on most free agents (AD, KD, Butler). 

So they need to go all in with whatever picks they have left and get the best player a team is willing to part with. 

Anyway, as is tradition, Lakers in five. Miami hasn't played a team as complete as LA and the Lakers have great coaching and more options. They'll be fine.

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

This may be the Raptors fan inside of me, but the Celtics probably do need to make a significant trade and maybe even let Brad Stevens go (if this was a typical season). I guess it depends on when next season starts.

I saw, I came, I left.

2 hours ago, DEAD! said:

This may be the Raptors fan inside of me, but the Celtics probably do need to make a significant trade and maybe even let Brad Stevens go (if this was a typical season). I guess it depends on when next season starts.

Stevens just got a contract extension before the bubble I think, so that's not happening. (in fact the entire roster, contract-wise, is pretty well set in for a run-it-back, but mercifully Hayward's contract comes off the books a year from now.) I don't know what better option is out there, anyway. I do hope these playoffs give Stevens a bit of humble pie, and I don't think it would be a bad idea to get some actual NBA experience in his assistant ranks. Maybe his aw-shucks midwesterner act is getting old. Either way, there was a real lack of winning experience and leadership on this team and it showed; when your veteran leader comes from 8 years of Charlotte...

13 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Exactly. 

Problem is they've struck out on most free agents (AD, KD, Butler). 

So they need to go all in with whatever picks they have left and get the best player a team is willing to part with. 

They've also struck out on some of their actual signings and/or trades. Hayward's been a bust, not really his fault but it just hasn't worked. Kyrie, enough said. Kemba, invisible all postseason, but this is Tatum's offense and Kemba seems like an afterthought on this team. That $35 mil probably could've been spent elsewhere.

The Celtics biggest issue is their size. Theis ain't it. Kanter doesn't play enough minutes.

The week LeBron left Miami was when the Heat started to really lean into the “culture” shtick. While I’d argue it existed from the moment Pat Riley showed up, the franchise became so focused on proving it in 2014. I’m really grateful they took a “:censored: you” attitude and refused to tank or fade into irrelevance. This is such a sweet, unexpected payoff that still feels a couple years early. 

I keep finding myself just staring at promos and graphics. The Heat are in the Finals. Against the Lakers. Against LeBron James. This is so :censored:ing cool. 

I know they’re overmatched, but I don’t care. When the playoffs started, I was dreading the Heat being embarrassed by TJ Warren. Obviously, this whole thing has far exceeded expectations. I’m not going to act like I’d be happy with it ending here and cling onto the youth of Miami’s core as surefire proof that this is replicable for years to come. They’re in the Finals right now. Might as well win it all!

PJU85JF.png

I'm thinking Lakers in 6, and not a particularly close 6, despite some fun cagey matches ... but that doesn't take away from what the Heat have done. They looked good-if-pedestrian most of the year, but what an all-time instance of turning it on at the right time. Gotta love not just the emergence of Bam but also, you need something unexpected to succeed in the playoffs, especially as an underdog -- they're getting that, with Herro going for 37 or old man Iguodala turning back the clock out of nowhere. They should retroactively give the coach of the year award back to Spo.

I think the bubble affected different teams and different players in a lot of ways, but it always felt like Miami embraced the bubble and the really different dynamics in it. Maybe in a traditional playoffs, they don't win those "road" games. But in the bubble, they did -- and convincingly so against the Bucks.

I'm a genius:

On 9/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Yeah, for sure. 1. there's no way that call happens at the end if they're in Milwaukee and a live crowd and 2. you can see which teams are missing home court advantage.

On 8/18/2020 at 1:24 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm no fan of the Celtics but I feel really bad for Hayward. They've assembled a really good team that I feel like has actually played at full strength like, twice.

Miami will win the East.

2 hours ago, speedy said:

They've also struck out on some of their actual signings and/or trades. Hayward's been a bust, not really his fault but it just hasn't worked. Kyrie, enough said. Kemba, invisible all postseason, but this is Tatum's offense and Kemba seems like an afterthought on this team. That $35 mil probably could've been spent elsewhere.

The Celtics biggest issue is their size. Theis ain't it. Kanter doesn't play enough minutes.

Yeah, they need a Kawhi/PG type Star to put the team over, but instead they’re trying to fill that gap with guys like Kyrie & Kemba. Which obviously isn’t working. Unfortunately I don’t know what big names would be available to them. 

Hayward just Isn’t the guy he was supposed to be since the injury. But they aren’t moving him with that contract. 

I also don’t know why Stevens was so hesitant to play Williams over Theis & Kanter when he had been the better player. 

Archived