2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

buzzcut

52 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Yeah, they need a Kawhi/PG type Star to put the team over, but instead they’re trying to fill that gap with guys like Kyrie & Kemba. Which obviously isn’t working. Unfortunately I don’t know what big names would be available to them. 

Hayward just Isn’t the guy he was supposed to be since the injury. But they aren’t moving him with that contract. 

I also don’t know why Stevens was so hesitant to play Williams over Theis & Kanter when he had been the better player. 

That's why I think they should package him with Tatum. Send them both to OKC for CP3 and picks. Or to Phoenix for Booker and Ayton. Or Portland (would never happen, but still) for Dame. Or Washington for Beal. They need a guy who can create his own shot or at least not fold at the end of games, and they need to give something up to get that guy.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Digby said:

Ainge already gets blasted for karmic justice for the IT trade, now you want him to ship out the bad luck guy who missed his own kid's birth to try to win an ECF?

Yes. Hayward didn't work out. They need to move on.

Don't you think?

EDIT: Doc is gone!

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

21 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's why I think they should package him with Tatum. Send them both to OKC for CP3 and picks. Or to Phoenix for Booker and Ayton. Or Portland (would never happen, but still) for Dame. Or Washington for Beal. They need a guy who can create his own shot or at least not fold at the end of games, and they need to give something up to get that guy.

Tatum is not getting traded period. 
They want him to be the “Paul Pierce” of this generation’s Celtics. 

If they trade him they might as well blow the whole thing up. 

Hayward’s problem is no one will take a contract like his. 

7 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Tatum is not getting traded period. 
They want him to be the “Paul Pierce” of this generation’s Celtics. 

If they trade him they might as well blow the whole thing up. 

Hayward’s problem is no one will take a contract like his. 

Right. Which is why I'm proposing to package Tatum. Who in year 3 isn't it.

Per the NBA trade machine, Tatum and Walker (as a proxy for Hayward's salary, who can't be traded until Oct. 17) is a match for SGA and CP3.

EDIT: Another trade that works:

Tatum + Walker (again, as a proxy for Hayward) to Washington for Bradley Beal, Thomas Bryant and Mo Wagner. Boston gets a A-level scorer, size and center and a replacement white guy, while Washington gets what's left of Hayward plus Tatum's potential. I think it's a great deal for everyone.

Is this a troll job because you hate the Celtics? They had a letdown conference finals at a weird time; they also broadly improved over the course of the season and exceeded expectations. This is not a blow-it-up level crisis and I haven't even seen that take from anyone who follows the team closely (including the complainers).

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

8 minutes ago, Digby said:

Is this a troll job because you hate the Celtics? They had a letdown conference finals at a weird time; they also broadly improved over the course of the season and exceeded expectations. This is not a blow-it-up level crisis and I haven't even seen that take from anyone who follows the team closely (including the complainers).

Little bit of a troll job, but also I'm working backwards from the need to get rid of Hayward who is negative value now. I don't know how to get rid of him on his own, unless you send him to Utah (who won't take him back) or Indiana (who shouldn't take him).

37 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Right. Which is why I'm proposing to package Tatum. Who in year 3 isn't it.

Per the NBA trade machine, Tatum and Walker (as a proxy for Hayward's salary, who can't be traded until Oct. 17) is a match for SGA and CP3.

EDIT: Another trade that works:

Tatum + Walker (again, as a proxy for Hayward) to Washington for Bradley Beal, Thomas Bryant and Mo Wagner. Boston gets a A-level scorer, size and center and a replacement white guy, while Washington gets what's left of Hayward plus Tatum's potential. I think it's a great deal for everyone.

Tatum is not getting traded period. Any trade involving him is a terrible deal for The Celtics. Him & either Smart or Brown are 2 players I would say are untouchable.  

Celtics best chance is packaging whatever draft picks they still have (like the Memphis one) with a player that is not Tatum. 

Hayward and PG to Houston, Harden to Boston, Westbrook to LAC. Boom.

EDIT: Last one: Hayward for Blake Griffin. Great for everyone involved.

52 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Hayward and PG to Houston, Harden to Boston, Westbrook to LAC. Boom.

EDIT: Last one: Hayward for Blake Griffin. Great for everyone involved.

This is why you are not a GM, Houston isn’t trading harden, especially for a post injury Hayward, and post exposed PG.

your other trade is just as bad if not worse.

7 minutes ago, dont care said:

This is why you are not a GM, Houston isn’t trading harden, especially for a post injury Hayward, and post exposed PG.

your other trade is just as bad if not worse.

Yeah, that Houston trade is bad; now way they would want two scrubs for Harden, even if they are also former All-NBA talent. Though Westbrook to LAC is intriguing if they can make that happen another way.

They actually did it! I can't believe it.

Rivers did a lot of good things for the Clippers. Unfortunately for him as a coach, it just so happens that most of those good things were off the court. When the Sterling scandal happened, he basically became the defacto owner of the team, going to team offices and talking to the employees who were taking tons of angry phone calls. How he led the team and the entire franchise during that time is basically unprecedented. Before that, he had to fight to convince Sterling to trade for JJ Reddick, because Sterling's racism was so twisted he didn't want any white players.

He's right up there with Pop in always having something thoughtful to say in response to social issues. It's just too bad he couldn't apply that passion and pathos into playoff wins like Pop. You can't survive two blown 3-1 leads and only three series wins in seven years. His insistence on playing guys like Trez and Lou Williams in situations where it's clear they're bad matchups was pure pain. He helped the franchise in many ways, but now I'm ready for basketball to be fun again.

16 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Little bit of a troll job, but also I'm working backwards from the need to get rid of Hayward who is negative value now. I don't know how to get rid of him on his own, unless you send him to Utah (who won't take him back) or Indiana (who shouldn't take him).

Hayward did provide decent on-court value during the regular season. It's an albatross of a contract but it's finished after next season; I'd rather live with that than sacrifice one or more guys who project out as regular All-Stars and are under good-value contracts for the next 4-5 seasons. Maybe they can get a solid rental with some package of Hayward, one of the Williams bigs and some picks, but I don't know about that. Turner would be nice. (And about that -- the issue is less the starting five and more the bench, where talent drops off precipitously, and even in short-rotation playoff series that's a disadvantage, as the Heat getting key value from Herro and Iggy showed. This is what Celtics nerddom were mad about at the trade deadline where Ainge stood pat.)

13 hours ago, The Six said:

They actually did it! I can't believe it.

Rivers did a lot of good things for the Clippers. Unfortunately for him as a coach, it just so happens that most of those good things were off the court. When the Sterling scandal happened, he basically became the defacto owner of the team, going to team offices and talking to the employees who were taking tons of angry phone calls. How he led the team and the entire franchise during that time is basically unprecedented. Before that, he had to fight to convince Sterling to trade for JJ Reddick, because Sterling's racism was so twisted he didn't want any white players.

He's right up there with Pop in always having something thoughtful to say in response to social issues. It's just too bad he couldn't apply that passion and pathos into playoff wins like Pop. You can't survive two blown 3-1 leads and only three series wins in seven years. His insistence on playing guys like Trez and Lou Williams in situations where it's clear they're bad matchups was pure pain. He helped the franchise in many ways, but now I'm ready for basketball to be fun again.

The knock on Doc is also his greatest selling point, as one of the most well-regarded man-managers in the league. I think he lets loyalty blind him to, ah, decent matchups on the court at times. At the very least that should be a foundation for a strong team culture, which is why I think it made so much sense for him to essentially be that team through the post-Sterling morass. Did Lawrence Frank do the firing? God, super weird if he did.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

I can't confirm it offhand, gotta ask around, but I'm pretty sure I got a cat (2002-2019 RIP) from Tyler Herro's uncle.

On 12/14/2019 at 8:18 PM, the admiral said:

My family knew a Balistreri. One time we got some roasted eggplant from their stand at Summerfest and my cousin threw up in the car.

same energy

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Did anyone seriously think any team was stopping Lebron & AD? 🙄

Warriors I could at least tolerate because they were giving Lebron a fight. 

We get it, dog. You don’t like LeBron or the Lakers. 

Lest you forget, everyone was picking against the Lakers this season. We kept hearing all season about how the Lakers were still a year away and outside of LeBron & AD, they didn’t have enough talent to make it far. That the Clippers, Bucks and (insert team here) had a better shot at the title than the Lakers. 

Let’s not change the narrative after the Lakers blitzed through the West and the teams that were suppose to be better than the Lakers failed to reach even the conference finals, let alone eliminate them.

I don’t want to hear about how “did anybody really think the Lakers would lose,” after hearing all about how good the Clippers and Bucks are; how the Blazers are the best 8 seed in history; how the Rockets would shoot the Lakers out of the gym.

Nahh man. None of that now. 

Just sit back, and enjoy watching the Lakers match the Celtics in titles.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Archived