buzzcut

2019-20 NBA Thread of Threads

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

It sure was nice to have 1 year without Lebron in The Finals. 🙄

 

I'm almost indifferent to if The Celtics make it. Because if they do, of :censored:ing course it would be against the god damn Lakers for the THIRD TIME IN A ROW.

Well, perhaps TV ratings will be decent at least. Sigh...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

LeBron James has made the Finals in 10 out of 17 seasons. When he's made the playoffs, he's made the Finals in 10 out of 14 seasons. He's 10-1 in conference finals.

 

I get being annoyed by his consistency and greatness; most of us hate the Pats and Tom Brady for similar reasons. But unlike the Pats, LeBron doesn't cheat and has been the underdog in at least half of his championship runs (07, 15, 16, 17, 18).

 

I don't think a run like this will ever happen again.

Brady at least didn't have a cakewalk to the Super Bowl every year, and had a guy like Peyton Manning that could beat him. 

Lebron hasn't had anyone that could challenge him that way since the Big 3 Celtics. 

 

I get why people hate Brady, but Lebron has been so much worse in the same regard. It's not even fun because you know from day 1 he's going to make The Finals. The only saving grace is that he does have a losing record in the Finals because the better teams were always in the West. 

 

Sorry, not sorry, NBA will be so much better when he retires. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Brady at least didn't have a cakewalk to the Super Bowl every year, and had a guy like Peyton Manning that could beat him. 

Lebron hasn't had anyone that could challenge him that way since the Big 3 Celtics. 

 

I get why people hate Brady, but Lebron has been so much worse in the same regard. It's not even fun because you know from day 1 he's going to make The Finals. The only saving grace is that he does have a losing record in the Finals because the better teams were always in the West.

 

That's so dumb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

That's so dumb.

Lebron has been far more dominant and has had far more of a stranglehold on the league than Brady every did. 
To think otherwise is dumb. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Lebron has been far more dominant and has had far more of a stranglehold on the league than Brady every did. 
To think otherwise is dumb. 

He’s only won 3 championships. He can’t help it that his teams are the best in his conference, doesn’t change that they weren’t the best team in the league still. 5 or 6 of those years they weren’t, and that including the year they beat GS. Lebron is a generational talent but it’s not like the NBA is just giving him championships. You’ve had a vendetta against Lebron all year and it’s getting really old with your terrible hot takes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dont care said:

He’s only won 3 championships. He can’t help it that his teams are the best in his conference, doesn’t change that they weren’t the best team in the league still. 5 or 6 of those years they weren’t, and that including the year they beat GS. Lebron is a generational talent but it’s not like the NBA is just giving him championships. You’ve had a vendetta against Lebron all year and it’s getting really old with your terrible hot takes.

That doesn’t change the fact that it gets old seeing him in the Finals nearly every year for the past decade. 
 

Last year was fun because for once The Finals was a toss up on both sides. Now we’re back to asking “who will Lebron face in the Finals” before the season even starts. 
 

I’ll give him all the credit for being such an amazing player, doesn’t mean he doesn’t make the league boring to watch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the beginning of this season it was very unclear if LeBron would make the Finals. Basketball media had the Clippers as the best team in the west in the preseason and pretty much up until they got smoked by the Nuggets.

 

If LeBron were the hands-down favorite every year, he wouldn't be watching KD and Steph and Giannis winning his MVP awards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think dynasties are actually fine. And the LeBron “dynasty” has actually been more interesting and with little precedent, given how he’s gotten there differenty e.g. the Heatles, or the next-gen star turn with the Lakers, dragging piles of garbage with him for the Cavs.

 

i hate him, of course, as a Celtics fan. But that’s part of the sports fan kayfabe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to separate Brady from Belichick, and the two-decade run of the Pats was very much hitting people over the head with the same, joyless, feels-like-cheating approach to football. Plus rub and tugs.

 

LeBron, as @Digby said, has played different styles in different systems at different points of his career. The teams that played against him have been dramatically different. The Warriors -- for all the talk of being boring -- were a cheat code that came out of a undervalued contract to Steph and a one-time cap bump that the rest of the league had no chance against. Including, as it happens, LeBron except for that one year that he and the Cavs did the impossible.

 

I get being annoyed by LeBron, but it's not the same joyless exercise the Pats have put on the rest of the NFL. Or Alabama on NCAA football.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I never doubted for a second Lakers would make The Finals. AD is all Lebron needed, and I never bought into The Clippers hype. 

It's even more annoying because of :censored:ing course the best teams in the West (Warriors, Rockets, Thunder) that could have finally offered Lebron a bit of pushback, have all fallen apart just in time for Lebron to take over (not his fault, but still annoying). 

 

I find Lebron far more joyless because it's just become an inevitability with him making the Finals. 

For all the talk of Brady being "boring" he at least has never been a guarantee to make the Super Bowl every year, and actually encountered significant pushback in his conference. 

 

With Lebron, who cares what changes? he's making the Finals anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether you like LeBron or not, you gotta admire what he's accomplished. I know people are quick to put Jordan ahead of him and while the Jordan-LeBron comparisons do get tiresome, Jordan hasn't been to ten finals with three different teams like LeBron has. It's been incredible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AustinFromBoston said:

Like I said, I'll give LeBron credit. But that doesn't mean he doesn't make the league boring as hell to watch.   

That's more due to a lack of a salary cap meaning teams with the deepest pockets get pretty much all the superstars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

That's more due to a lack of a salary cap meaning teams with the deepest pockets get pretty much all the superstars.

 

The NBA has a salary cap though. What do you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The NBA has a salary cap though. What do you mean?

Huh, so it does. Though it's a soft cap, which probably doesn't make that much of a difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

The NBA has a salary cap though. What do you mean?

It’s not a hard cap, you can go over it if you are willing to pay the fines. There are a bunch of other rules that make no sense and nobody understands that allow you to go over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dont care said:

It’s not a hard cap, you can go over it if you are willing to pay the fines. There are a bunch of other rules that make no sense and nobody understands that allow you to go over.

 

You can pay a dollar-for-dollar tax when you go over the cap, and you can pay stricter penalties for repeatedly going over the cap (literally, the repeater tax). You can also re-sign your own players above the cap, which is a move that has benefited the large markets but was designed for the smaller ones.

 

The NBA has a soft cap, but it's not like any has just said eff it and paid dollar for dollar taxes season over season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

 

You can pay a dollar-for-dollar tax when you go over the cap, and you can pay stricter penalties for repeatedly going over the cap (literally, the repeater tax). You can also re-sign your own players above the cap, which is a move that has benefited the large markets but was designed for the smaller ones.

 

The NBA has a soft cap, but it's not like any has just said eff it and paid dollar for dollar taxes season over season.

You’re right, but it’s really no different than the MLB, where big market teams pay lots of money for a couple of years, then tear the team apart when it becomes too expensive and start again to avoid the repeater tax. Miami did it, golden state is currently doing it. Eventually the lakers, clippers, and rockets will have to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston clearly needs to blow it up. All these ECF appearances and nothing.

 

Trade Heyward, trade a Jay, and bring back a team with some heart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.