MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

There aren't 780 MLB-caliber players, let alone 832.  I assume that quality of play doesn't have much of an impact on revenue, but it's really frustrating to watch a game where half the players aren't even good AAA players let alone MLB, and in some cases, are just AAAA players that are here today, gone tomorrow, then back in a month, etc.

Obviously, there's always going to be a bell curve whether we're talking about calibrating 780 players or 700 so what is a "MLB-caliber player" is a moving target, but I really wish there was contraction rather than the inevitable expansion.

For what it's worth, Phillies president Dave Dombrowski stepped away from the Nashville Stars project to join the Phillies but I'm pretty sure he's still involved in some capacity, and said he'd leave the Phillies if they somehow got a team, even though even if the decision was made today, it'd still be years before a pitch could be thrown there.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 1 month later...

If MLB ends up in Las Vegas, Nashville, or even Charlotte (expansion or relocation) what happens to the three minor league stadiums that are already there?

All three are very nice ballparks and are pretty new with Charlotte being the oldest opening in 2014. Nashville and Charlotte's are both downtown where MLB would want their ballparks but it doesn't seem possible to expand them to MLB capacities. Meanwhile, the Vegas stadium is out in the suburbs but MLB would want a stadium probably right off the strip. MLS won't want converted minor league baseball stadiums either. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Can you elaborate on why that is?  

Just observations from looking at Google Maps and images of the ballparks.

For Charlotte, it's built within a small city block and sits right up against the street. There's no room for any expansion in foul territory.

spacer.png

For Nashville it's a similar problem. Homeplate sits right up against the street, no room for an upper deck. They could shift the field towards the outfield as there looks to be a lot of space out there but that'd basically be building a whole new ballpark. 

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Can you elaborate on why that is?  

Nashville's can be expanded, but Charlotte's is sandwiched into a city block and thus can't be expanded without blocking off major parts of the road. It's a shame, too, because (IMO) Truist Field has the best view in the minors. That's not to say there aren't still places to build a stadium Uptown, it just can't be an expanded Truist Field.

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

• 2 weeks later...