MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

16 hours ago, McCall said:

Dildo? Dildon't.

You may laugh, but my boss still tells the story of when he was about 70 years old and the term came up in writing during a divorce case . . . and he and the similarly aged male judge both thought the word was pronounced "DILL-doo".

• LOL 2

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

19 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

"As your governor, I plan to make sure no taxpayer has to foot the bill for another dildo bridge ever again! I can't be bought by the dildo lobby!"

You mean Big Dildo?

• LOL 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

See, with rising sea levels and all that, I wonder about the ability of any dildo-based structure to withstand flooding from the storm surge of any given hurricane. Unless we can redirect the lava flow into the sea with a strategically collapsed building ala the 1997 Tommy Lee Jones classic Volcano and use the natural processes of the water cooling the lava into rock to actually build more land.

The ability of dildos to withstand hurricane-force winds is still a mystery, though.

oBIgzrL.png

30 minutes ago, maz said:

See, with rising sea levels and all that, I wonder about the ability of any dildo-based structure to withstand flooding from the storm surge of any given hurricane. Unless we can redirect the lava flow into the sea with a strategically collapsed building ala the 1997 Tommy Lee Jones classic Volcano and use the natural processes of the water cooling the lava into rock to actually build more land.

The ability of dildos to withstand hurricane-force winds is still a mystery, though.

Flex Seal.  You haven't seen their new commercial have you?

• Like 1
  • WOAH 1

Floating stadium in the middle of the bay. Unanchored so it's constantly moving and bumping into the shore, bridges, and other boats, which would make for everchanging wind and sun angles. You have to take a boat just to get to it. 

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

42 minutes ago, Sport said:

Floating stadium in the middle of the bay. Unanchored so it's constantly moving and bumping into the shore, bridges, and other boats, which would make for everchanging wind and sun angles. You have to take a boat just to get to it. 

No lava? No dildos? Dude, GTFO if you're not gonna take this thread seriously.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Presumably that while the Dodgers and Angels share Southern California (with San Diego County being the Padres' sad little fiefdom), the Giants would now have the entirety of Northern California to themselves. For the Bay/Sacramento/Reno to become a one-team territory would indeed disrupt the balance of things, especially if the Las Vegas A's were to further cut into Dodgers/Angels territory.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Disrupt the balance of what? The Giants sell out the park for eternity while the A's have been buried and forgotten for over two decades, so clearly Northern California is not a strong two-team region. The Dodgers, Angels, and Padres are apparently all relevant and competitive enough in their environment to buy up all of free agency between them every year. The A's in Vegas won't be siphoning any of those fans off. I see no problem.

If only that dumbass 98 expansion never happened. The A's could have just bounced to Arizona by now and be doing their piddling hospitality house operation in the airplane hangar, and the Rays wouldn't exist in the first place. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, who do you think said:

Disrupt the balance of what? The Giants sell out the park for eternity while the A's have been buried and forgotten for over two decades, so clearly Northern California is not a strong two-team region. The Dodgers, Angels, and Padres are apparently all relevant and competitive enough in their environment to buy up all of free agency between them every year. The A's in Vegas won't be siphoning any of those fans off. I see no problem.

If only that dumbass 98 expansion never happened. The A's could have just bounced to Arizona by now and be doing their piddling hospitality house operation in the airplane hangar, and the Rays wouldn't exist in the first place. 

The Rays would probably still exist without that expansion. The lawsuit brought up by Vince Naimoli after the MLB owners blocked him from taking control of and moving the Giants to the tomb in St. Pete would have just resulted in a team being moved to the Trop, most likely either the Expos after Jeff Loria sold the team to MLB, or the Marlins after the fire sale after winning the World Series in 1997.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The Rays would probably still exist without that expansion. The lawsuit brought up by Vince Naimoli after the MLB owners blocked him from taking control of and moving the Giants to the tomb in St. Pete would have just resulted in a team being moved to the Trop, most likely either the Expos after Jeff Loria sold the team to MLB, or the Marlins after the fire sale after winning the World Series in 1997.

Maybe, but much like LA in the NFL, TB's lack of team served as a negotiating tactic for teams that could threaten to move there.  Ironically, it probably made MLB more money without a team than it has with one.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 3/4/2023 at 11:30 PM, who do you think said:

The A's aren't that irrelevant. They had back to back 97 win seasons not that long ago in 2018 & 2019. They won the AL West back to back in 2013 & 2014. Six postseason appearances since 2010. Certainly better than what the Angels or Padres (or anyone out west besides the Giants and Dodgers) have done in the same time frame. I've never felt that the A's were viewed here as the same as the Clippers for instance, or the Chargers once they moved to LA. Or the Sac Kings.

If the A's got a stadium in the late 90's/early 00's like much of baseball, they'd be just fine. Certainly would be a better situation than Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, KC, Miami are right now. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

The A's aren't that irrelevant. They had back to back 97 win seasons not that long ago in 2018 & 2019. They won the AL West back to back in 2013 & 2014. Six postseason appearances since 2010. Certainly better than what the Angels or Padres (or anyone out west besides the Giants and Dodgers) have done in the same time frame. I've never felt that the A's were viewed here as the same as the Clippers for instance, or the Chargers once they moved to LA. Or the Sac Kings.

If the A's got a stadium in the late 90's/early 00's like much of baseball, they'd be just fine. Certainly would be a better situation than Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore, KC, Miami are right now.

And we are once again back to the sad fact that nobody cares. This team doesn't play their home games in Mongolia. If anybody cared (and they have reason to, since like the Rays, Oakland consistently comes up with good players despite being broke and never goes very long between playoff appearances), they wouldn't be drawing Marlins-tier crowds at the ballpark.

What is it with this forum and conflating a team's on-field success with the notion that they must be popular and relevant in their market?

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

And we are once again back to the sad fact that nobody cares. This team doesn't play their home games in Mongolia. If anybody cared (and they have reason to, since like the Rays, Oakland consistently comes up with good players despite being broke and never goes very long between playoff appearances), they wouldn't be drawing Marlins-tier crowds at the ballpark.

What is it with this forum and conflating a team's on-field success with the notion that they must be popular and relevant in their market?

I think you missed the point of my post. The on field success makes them relevant and they do matter. They have a market, it's the East Bay along with the rest of Northern California. But the Coliseum might as well be Mongolia, I mean have you ever been there? It's a complete :censored: hole, why do you think the Raiders are in Vegas and the Warriors are in San Francisco now? They aren't the Clippers or even the Rays for a baseball example. This team has a history and people here know that, they just need a new stadium and the ownership to act like it gives a :censored:. I mean the Rockies average a Top 10 attendance every year with a worse team, why? Because they have a stadium people want to go to even if the team sucks. Stadiums matter. 

I get the feeling that if this was a midwest city this forum would defend the team to the end (was anyone wanting the Bills to move to Austin before the state pitched in a cool billion dollars?), but when it comes to the west coast or expansion teams like the Rays everyone just want to see them fail. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3

7 hours ago, who do you think said:

If you have a good on-field team in a bad market, you relocate them to a good market, not just drop them. If you relocate them, that new market gets to start off with a good team, which would help it be more successful from the beginning.

I know logic is a foreign concept to you, but give it a shot.👍

• Like 3
  • Applause 1