MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

@Sykotyk I think that's true insofar as college teams have a natural, built-in audience. The Coyotes game I went to wasn't anywhere near the atmosphere as Wild games, but I'm not sure how much that's due to the yotes general incompetence vs being a transient  sunbeltcoty                sorry for the formatin, mobiletyping had a stroke again ,g 

• Like 1

NewBallpark.org: Apples and Oranges

IMO, this commentary does a great job of articulating a few of the aspects of the #FisherOut / #SellTheTeam movement that I have found to be embarrassingly and frustratingly naïve, even if that movement happens to have a seemingly well-meaning set of goals on the surface.

In particular, I think that the author summarizes his main point rather well with the article's second paragraph:

"Recently, East Bay politicians and fans settled on a talking point: If Fisher only needed 9 acres and wanted to build only a ballpark, he could’ve done that much more cheaply and quickly at Howard Terminal. If you don’t think about it, it sort of makes sense. But there are obvious problems with the argument."

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Doesn't the MLB have a PR department? Shouldn't they be reminding Manfred to stop talking because he's a jackass?

The exact opposite of how Gary Bettman feels about Phoenix (although it hasn't worked, I get why from a TV market perspective why Bettman is so bullish on Phoenix).

I'm just curious... I know of the issues for the A's regarding the stadium they are at now, as I recall some time ago, cant remember exactly when, wasn't there a big main pipe break that flooded the dugouts and the other areas of the stadium? And then someone pointed out that there need to be renovations or replacements done and also recommended that a new stadium be built to replace the current one?

I do wish the A's would stay in Oakland as the team has been there a long time but I can understand why the team gotta have to move due to stadium problems and etc.. just terrible indeed to see another franchise transfer out of Oakland like the NFL Raiders did a few years ago... hopefully maybe at a 11th hour last minute thing a new owner can offer to buy the A's and ensure the team remain in Oakland and finally get a new ballpark to be built asap.. but that's wishful thoughts I would say so...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

10 hours ago, NorthStar74 said:

I'm just curious... I know of the issues for the A's regarding the stadium they are at now, as I recall some time ago, cant remember exactly when, wasn't there a big main pipe break that flooded the dugouts and the other areas of the stadium? And then someone pointed out that there need to be renovations or replacements done and also recommended that a new stadium be built to replace the current one?

I do wish the A's would stay in Oakland as the team has been there a long time but I can understand why the team gotta have to move due to stadium problems and etc.. just terrible indeed to see another franchise transfer out of Oakland like the NFL Raiders did a few years ago... hopefully maybe at a 11th hour last minute thing a new owner can offer to buy the A's and ensure the team remain in Oakland and finally get a new ballpark to be built asap.. but that's wishful thoughts I would say so...

Honestly a new owner who steps in is the only scenario where the A’s stay in Oakland at this point. But unlike when the Giants had one foot out the door 30 years ago to Florida, the A’s aren’t for sale. And after 20 years of ownership and having no new stadium in Oakland Manfred seems more than happy to help out his buddy Fisher.

9 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Honestly a new owner who steps in is the only scenario where the A’s stay in Oakland at this point. But unlike when the Giants had one foot out the door 30 years ago to Florida, the A’s aren’t for sale. And after 20 years of ownership and having no new stadium in Oakland Manfred seems more than happy to help out his buddy Fisher.

Does a new owner even matter at this point? I was under the impression that once the gov signed the bill, it was a binding-done deal and the only remaining formality is the owners approving it (and I can’t believe that the LV funding bill had a contingency in it that allowed for the A’s to get out without penalty if the owners rejected the move… which they won’t.)

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Is a new owner really going to have any more luck cutting through the red tape? Oakland’s not innocent in this ordeal so even if there was a fast sale the team would still be stuck in a rodent-infested cesspool for at least another 5-6 years which is completely asinine unless the new owner comes in and blows millions of dollars on temporary bandaids. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1

VmWIn6B.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 4:50 PM, BBTV said:

Does a new owner even matter at this point? I was under the impression that once the gov signed the bill, it was a binding-done deal and the only remaining formality is the owners approving it (and I can’t believe that the LV funding bill had a contingency in it that allowed for the A’s to get out without penalty if the owners rejected the move… which they won’t.)

I don’t think they’re required to use the funds if hey don’t move.