MLB Stadium Saga: Oakland/Tampa Bay/Southside

So_Fla

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Have you seen their attendance this year? And that is pre announcement of the move. Post announcement we may get a new all time record for lowest average attendance. 

You're talking about a team that hasn't drawn over 2 million since 2005, hasn't drawn over the league average since 2003, and has clearly demonstrated they don't care about attendance in a sport where the gate is maybe the third most important revenue source.  To Fisher another year at the Coliseum isn't a big deal.  It's especially not a big deal when I'm sure he doesn't want to pay ALCO a $45 million lump sum if they leave in 2024 because of conditions in the purchase agreement for the county's portion of the Coliseum site.  If they leave at the end of 2024 they'll still be on the hook for a $30 million lump sum payment to the county.  I'd venture to guess that's at least 15 million reasons why they'll play in Oakland next season.

MLB doesn't care either because Selig cleared them to move out of Oakland prior to signing the lease they're in now.  

6 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

If he had shame he wouldn’t drag his franchise through something so utterly and unprecedentedly embarrassing. I’m honestly shocked MLB would allow it when they don’t even consider the Coliseum a Major League facility and there are Major League equivalent facilities available as temporary options that they’re going to have to use in 2025-7 anyway. The whole thing is already a black eye for baseball, and it’s just going to get worse if they hang around unwanted.

-They have a lease.

-He’s not breaking the lease. (Plus they’ve already made the schedule)

And this means he has no shame? I’m sorry, but since when is honoring the lease you agreed to a bad reflection you? At worst, it should be a non-issue. We knew they’d either play it out or leave early. They’re playing it out. Ok. On to the next issue…

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I'm surprised those cheapskates were willing to spring for an actual billboard. I would have expected one of those spraypainted vinyl banners you see on bridges over the highway.

It's a Blipboard, they didn't pay much for it. 

• Like 2

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

I'm surprised those cheapskates were willing to spring for an actual billboard. I would have expected one of those spraypainted vinyl banners you see on bridges over the highway.

They’ll probably be selling a shortstop in short order.

Rob Manfred: "Oakland sucks and so do their fans.  I will be pleased if they got out of there."

Gary Bettman: "Arizona is my baby.  They have one of the best fanbases in the NHL.   I love you Phoenix, I am never going to quit you."

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

On 6/18/2023 at 1:23 AM, bosrs1 said:

They haven’t wasted any time have they…

spacer.png

Yikes.

Willing to spend on billboards in a different market than towards their stadium and their team.. reason 15281369 the A's front office is a total clown show.

29 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Rob Manfred: "Oakland sucks and so do their fans.  I will be pleased if they got out of there."

Gary Bettman: "Arizona is my baby.  They have one of the best fanbases in the NHL.   I love you Phoenix, I am never going to quit you."

Yeah. Even if the Coyotes do leave Arizona it would not be surprising if Phoenix would 1st in line for an expansion team. Sun Belt. Gotta grow the game around non traditional (i.e. non cold weather) markets. That is the NHL for you

9 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

Man, this has been a fun dumpster fire to watch, but I feel bad for all the Oaklanders (Oaklandites?) that are losing their team. I couldn't imagine if the Vikings or Twins moved

Weren't the Twins one of the two teams on the chopping block along with the Expos when contraction was being discussed due to the Metrodome falling apart?

• Like 4

3 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yeah. Even if the Coyotes do leave Arizona it would not be surprising if Phoenix would 1st in line for an expansion team. Sun Belt. Gotta grow the game around non traditional (i.e. non cold weather) markets. That is the NHL for you

To be fair, the Golden Knights (as did the Stars and Lightning before them) are proving that hockey can work in such a climate, and the Sun Devils are proving that hockey can work in the Valley of the Sun.

It's just that the Coyotes have been staffed by nitwits ever since they first moved over there.

• Like 6

bYhYmxh.png

2 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Weren't the Twins one of the two teams on the chopping block along with the Expos when contraction was being discussed due to the Metrodome falling apart?

And they were pretty well penciled into that spot, too. Seemed like such a reach given the support Minnesota had given the team since their arrival. There seemed to be far more stark failures. But the Sunshine State teams weren't going to be touched.

MLB is running out of available markets that have the finances to support a MLB team's 81 game schedule at MLB prices. They mostly have resorted to pretending that the team can be contracted to get a new stadium. Now that LV is viable as a team and actively persuing a team, they found their new boogie-man. Like LA was for the NFL for decades.

13 hours ago, GhostOfNormMacdonald said:

I can confirm that Sun Devil hockey games are rockin'. As good of atmosphere as Gopher, Bulldog, and Mavs games I went to back in MN @Burmy

Never been to a college hockey game. But have to imagine like any other collegiate game I've been to in other sports that the atmosphere is much livelier than a pro game.