NHL Refresh (Series Completed)

ldconcepts

Since the summer, I've been working on a project to redesign every NHL team's logos and uniforms. So far, I've completed 24 out of the 32 teams, but I wanted to start sharing my work here before releasing the full project to get some feedback to improve the designs I already created, as well as those left.

First up are the New Jersey Devils.

The Devils' new jerseys bring back their old striping pattern, with a twist, and feature a logo which makes the N and J more obvious, while dropping the circle.

66bab385823969.5d90b629220a9.png

C&C appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up is Chicago.

65914285823969.5da3866fb0f1e.png

The Blackhawks' traditional Native head is replaced with a C and two feathers, which are now two-tone and have bolder strokes. Tradition isn't abandoned, as stripes reminiscent of old barberpole-style jerseys are found on the shoulders, matching the hems and sleeves.

C&C appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

• ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (2/32)

c8abf485823969.5d87c3523b686.png

The recently rebranded Panthers keep their new colour scheme, but the shield is replaced by a sun and the panther is redrawn. The stripes are inspired by the Florida flag. (I just realized the collars don't match up, I'll fix that soon).

C&C appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

• ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (3/32)
Guest darkpiranha

New Jersey: The J is a bit awkward in how it just suddenly tapers down to fit into the N.  You might have to widen the point on the tail to make it feel more consistent, but that'll decrease the width of the N.   Maybe try a constant taper on the J.

Chicago: I get that you're simplifying everything, but I think you need to find a way to bring in all the colors in the same ratio.  

Florida: Agreed that the panther looks like a malformed seal screaming in pain.  Not sure what I'm looking at on this one.  I'm okay with the overall jersey look, though.

Thanks for all the feedback, once I finish all the teams I'll start working on updates. For now, here are the Islanders.

7f623985823969.5d87c3523a80a.png

The Islanders keep their classic blue circle, now surrounding a circular white NY monogram, and a lighthouse-shaped anchor. The team returns to the navy blue of the 2000s and their first Cup-winning jersey design.

C&C appreciated!

Nyzv9xS.png

• ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (4/32)
  • ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (5/32)

I like the ambitious approach in creating a new logo for each team.

You started off pretty strong with New Jersey but it could use a few tweaks:

The NJ logo reminds me of the proposed one drawn up by the wife of the Devil's owner at that time. I don't know if you drew inspiration from that or not, but nevertheless it's superior to the aforementioned. The unused logo on the mothership looks like it was a bitmap trace that wasn't smoothed out properly and I'm seeing a little of that in your logo. Namely in the devil horns atop the J. The bottom should be more curved and less trapezoidal. That would allow you to fix the issue that is the awkward triangle cutout in the negative space. 

The shoulder striping for Chicago is awesome. Definitely not something I've seen a lot of around here on hockey concepts. That being said, I think that the sleeve striping could be simplified or eliminated altogether to balance out the jerseys. The logo is nice, very simple, but nice. It's weird seeing a Blackhawks concept without the Native American head, but I understand the approach and it's not bad. 

The problem with your Panthers logo is that it took me way too long to realize that the blue portion was the ear and that the eye was the red shape to the right. After I realized this, I thought that the logo could be fixed and it wasn't another "back to the drawing board" type. First and foremost, you need to adjust the ear and eye. The ear's shape should be reworked and/or rotated so that it doesn't give the illusion that it's the eye. The eye needs to be more prominent; it needs to stand out and draw focus to itself. Like I said, it took me a while to see what this logo was trying to portray. The neck of the panther is too thick, at least from its current perspective. I would add some highlights or extend the angle of the neck. Chisel it out a bit. 

Oh, and Djruggs is right. I know you're basing the design off of Florida's flag but it comes across too confederate, especially on the white jersey. 

I really like the Islanders. The only piece of advice I have is to outline the anchor in navy to give it some separation from the 'NY.'

For the Blues... The idea is good but it's a miss for me. The music note/arch combo looks more like a disjointed pair of stick-figure walking legs. The striping pattern is too busy for my tastes as well. I do like the single-outlined numbers though. 

• ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (6/32)
On 12/11/2019 at 12:43 PM, Eastport76 said:

Uhh.. the logo looks more a disabled bear or some rodent than a panther. 

I was thinking donkey--but I do like the rest of the look.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On 12/14/2019 at 10:46 AM, Heitert said:

For the Blues... The idea is good but it's a miss for me. The music note/arch combo looks more like a disjointed pair of stick-figure walking legs. The striping pattern is too busy for my tastes as well. I do like the single-outlined numbers though. 

It doesn't say musical note to me at all.

I am a musician & I do read music.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

• ldconcepts changed the title to NHL Refresh (7/32)

That Islanders set is fresh af @ldconcepts. That'd be a top-5 uniform in the league today.

For the Kings, I'd consider trying out two variations of the logo (w/r/t the coloring) on the home and road to make the logo stand out better against the white background. Creative striping on that set!

My Behance Portfolio --- Follow @Steinosaur19

2LYbxnm.png

Archived