USFL (Alt History)

WideRight

Got to say, the more I look at it, the more I dislike LA moving to the old LA Avengers logo.  Thinking about bringing something like this back and then, maybe, looking at a speed blue version of the helmet.  I know where they are headed for the late 2010-2020 period, so I want to try to get there in stages. 

spacer.png

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, WideRight said:

Got to say, the more I look at it, the more I dislike LA moving to the old LA Avengers logo.  Thinking about bringing something like this back and then, maybe, looking at a speed blue version of the helmet.  I know where they are headed for the late 2010-2020 period, so I want to try to get there in stages. 

spacer.png

What if LA is your alt-world corollary to the Seattle Seahawks of the era: Unveil prototypes of a helmet in silver and one in blue, and claim to let the fans decide which ones you go with. I'd also be curious to see what a blue version looks like. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

Forgive me, I don't know how I triple quoted.

I like the LA too... Maybe demote the Avenger to just sleeves. 

And the first look at the 2003 Jacksonville Bulls.  I wanted to retain the main theme of the Bulls logo (the charging bull and the wraparound effect) but the multiple "segmented" stripes seemed very 80's to me so I tried to modernize it and add a bit more burgundy and orange.  I found a great bull logo online, and tried to identify the designer.  It was found on en.99designs.com but there was no identification of the artist.  I based this logo on the bull in that logo, adding the ground "stripe" effect to tie it in with the original Bulls logo.  

spacer.png

The helmet is similar to the IRL original, though to separate Jacksonvile a bit from Tampa Bay, they use a darker, less metallic grey, almost a pewter though perhaps not quite as dark.  Picture a satiny finish as well instead of a metallic or sparkle-infused silver. 

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Love 3

I think the updated Bulls helmet is an interesting update, but there are a couple nitpicks. 

1. In the original, the bull was integrated into the horizontal stripe, giving the effect of movement, as if the bull was rushing to the front of the helmet. Your concept makes it look as if he's teetering off the edge of a cliff. I think it looks good as a secondary logo, but I think it lacks some of the dynamism of the original. 

2. I don't like how the stripes end abruptly in a hard angle. My eyes are drawn not to the logo, but to the empty space where the stripes end. 

3. On the primary logos, the type feels too squeezed next to the angled stripe. And like on the helmet, I find myself distracted by the white space above the word "Jacksonville." That angled stripe also appears to be what forced you have the type jutting out from the roundel. My recommendation for that: Let the orange/maroon/black stripe fill out the bottom. Maybe you can work the type into those stripes so the you can retain a circle shape. 

On 9/29/2022 at 5:13 PM, WideRight said:

And the first look at the 2003 Jacksonville Bulls.  I wanted to retain the main theme of the Bulls logo (the charging bull and the wraparound effect) but the multiple "segmented" stripes seemed very 80's to me so I tried to modernize it and add a bit more burgundy and orange.  I found a great bull logo online, and tried to identify the designer.  It was found on en.99designs.com but there was no identification of the artist.  I based this logo on the bull in that logo, adding the ground "stripe" effect to tie it in with the original Bulls logo.  

spacer.png

The helmet is similar to the IRL original, though to separate Jacksonvile a bit from Tampa Bay, they use a darker, less metallic grey, almost a pewter though perhaps not quite as dark.  Picture a satiny finish as well instead of a metallic or sparkle-infused silver. 

spacer.png

Much as I like the original Bulls logo and helmet, this looks just as good, if not better. 

xFUdNmt.png

5 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the updated Bulls helmet is an interesting update, but there are a couple nitpicks. 

1. In the original, the bull was integrated into the horizontal stripe, giving the effect of movement, as if the bull was rushing to the front of the helmet. Your concept makes it look as if he's teetering off the edge of a cliff. I think it looks good as a secondary logo, but I think it lacks some of the dynamism of the original. 

2. I don't like how the stripes end abruptly in a hard angle. My eyes are drawn not to the logo, but to the empty space where the stripes end. 

3. On the primary logos, the type feels too squeezed next to the angled stripe. And like on the helmet, I find myself distracted by the white space above the word "Jacksonville." That angled stripe also appears to be what forced you have the type jutting out from the roundel. My recommendation for that: Let the orange/maroon/black stripe fill out the bottom. Maybe you can work the type into those stripes so the you can retain a circle shape. 

Thanks for the pointers.  I agree that the wordmark seems a bit forced.  I do want to maintain the angle of the stripe as it leads into the upward bent hoof & front leg of the bull.  I guess I moved from the charging bull to the "pawing the dirt" that is so typical of fighting bulls in the bullring.  

• Like 2

Just finished the uniforms for Jacksonville.  Some notes:

1. The grey shoulder yoke allows me to have both the bull and the striping pattern without alteration on both jerseys. 

2. Decided the Bulls would use that black-orange-garnet-black pattern throughout.  

3. Also decided that perhaps for very hot summer days a white pant sent (similar to the Buccaneers') was needed.  

4. Not sure why I went with dark numbers on the shoulders of the white jersey and white numbers on the red jersey, since they are both on the grey shoulder yoke, but I guess it has something to do with consistency with the main chest/back numbers. 

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Ready to reveal the last of the three 2003 redesigns by Reebok, the Seattle Dragons.  Let's start with the logo:

spacer.png

So the goal here was to blend the European style dragon (big lizard) with the more Asian design of a dragon as more serpentine.  The curving body now hopefully evokes the letter S slightly.  I wanted to keep all 3 colors, but did not like the look of having either of the two main body parts in yellow, so I went with an outline.  As you can see on the helmet, the color combo changes depending on the background color. 

spacer.png

Retaining the "Barcelona" design of the green helmet, the big change here is the red facemask, and, of course the shift in the dragon to now having a gold head instead of a red one.  (BTW, gold here means yellow, not metallic at all). 

For the uniforms I wanted to embrace a few 2000's elements, so I basically looked at the Vick-era Falcons and Warner-era (current) Cardinals and took my cues there.  Swooping stripes, thin piping lines, side panels, the works.  

spacer.png

For those who are wondering, I see this very much as a stepping stone that will lead to the XFL version of the dragon head/body.  I wanted something that was halfway between the gold Barcelona-styled dragon head and the XFL version.  Now the big question is whether the full XFL-style will take over by the 2010's or if by 2020 (for example) the Dragons will opt to go for something retro.  I like their 1995 look, especially the jerseys, so maybe the XFL look lasts a little while and then the uni's revert back to something more classic.  Too early to tell.  

Next up, I am very much considering an expansion or relocation to Boston, so before we get into 2004 redesigns, you might see me pitch several possible Boston ideas (again, mainly based on 'real world designs for various teams from other leagues, or perhaps even other sports.  I may even do a full fledged poll to pick the winner.  That likely coming in November. 

• Like 7
  • Love 2
  • WOAH 1

That is easily the best Dragons logo ever. Same goes for the helmet.

1 hour ago, WideRight said:

Next up, I am very much considering an expansion or relocation to Boston, so before we get into 2004 redesigns, you might see me pitch several possible Boston ideas (again, mainly based on 'real world designs for various teams from other leagues, or perhaps even other sports.  I may even do a full fledged poll to pick the winner.  That likely coming in November. 

I take it this is going to have a big effect on the upcoming division realignment?

3 hours ago, WideRight said:

Ready to reveal the last of the three 2003 redesigns by Reebok, the Seattle Dragons.  Let's start with the logo:

spacer.png

So the goal here was to blend the European style dragon (big lizard) with the more Asian design of a dragon as more serpentine.  The curving body now hopefully evokes the letter S slightly.  I wanted to keep all 3 colors, but did not like the look of having either of the two main body parts in yellow, so I went with an outline.  As you can see on the helmet, the color combo changes depending on the background color. 

spacer.png

Retaining the "Barcelona" design of the green helmet, the big change here is the red facemask, and, of course the shift in the dragon to now having a gold head instead of a red one.  (BTW, gold here means yellow, not metallic at all). 

For the uniforms I wanted to embrace a few 2000's elements, so I basically looked at the Vick-era Falcons and Warner-era (current) Cardinals and took my cues there.  Swooping stripes, thin piping lines, side panels, the works.  

spacer.png

For those who are wondering, I see this very much as a stepping stone that will lead to the XFL version of the dragon head/body.  I wanted something that was halfway between the gold Barcelona-styled dragon head and the XFL version.  Now the big question is whether the full XFL-style will take over by the 2010's or if by 2020 (for example) the Dragons will opt to go for something retro.  I like their 1995 look, especially the jerseys, so maybe the XFL look lasts a little while and then the uni's revert back to something more classic.  Too early to tell.  

Great redesign.

As for relocation, I would love it if San Diego got a USFL team. Depending on what year the Padres open Petco Park in your universe, that can open up spring and summer weekends Qualcomm Stadium. San Diego's team can be called the Admirals and maybe have a blend of NFLE Amsterdam, UFL Virginia and the AAF Fleet for their branding.

But with Boston, the Admiral name could work over there too.

Other names you could have for Boston: Blue Coats, Beacons, Bruisers, Unicorns (symbol of the Boston Marathon), Druids, Brawlers, Ducks, Whales.

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Oh I wish that was real. It's just so perfect for the Dragons. 

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

Okay, that should be interesting. Guessing Portland will move to Beantown, but I could be wrong. 

xFUdNmt.png